The Student Room Group

How much can you earn with BEng

If you do a MEng you can become chartered and earn more, but how much on average do engineers earn if they do a BEng and don't become chartered?
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Go to your libary or online and look in trade magazines for salaries offered by engineering companies with those skills. I wouldn't rely on institutional surveys as these tend to be biased by over-representation of engineers in large companies who tend to pay better and are more supportive of staff membership of engineering institutions.
Reply 3
Presumably the same as an unchartered person with an MEng. A person with a BEng can still become chartered though, the only advantage of having a MEng is that you are exempt from certain conditions for your chartership, and also that it makes you a more competitive applicant for jobs. I wouldn't think companies have a separate salary for those who did a BEng and those who did an MEng.

I feel you're misunderstanding chartership a little however. I was once told by a very senior engineer that chartered engineers don't earn more because they're chartered, they earn more because they're generally more experienced. So it's not like you get a pay rise once you're chartered, but that most senior engineers will be chartered, and those are the ones earning more.
Presumably the same as an unchartered person with an MEng. A person with a BEng can still become chartered though, the only advantage of having a MEng is that you are exempt from certain conditions for your chartership, and also that it makes you a more competitive applicant for jobs. I wouldn't think companies have a separate salary for those who did a BEng and those who did an MEng.

Actually, many do. When I was at BP earlier in the year, I was told that graduates with the MEng on average get something like 1.5-2K extra per year, to do the same job. And a year or two ago when Amec came to my uni they also said that MEng graduates would earn more than BEng graduates in the same job.

Of course, the BEng graduates will have been working for a year longer so they'll have made an extra year's salary by the time the MEng guys get into the jobs market... but the MEng is fast becoming the industry standard degree, with many of the graduate schemes I've seen only taking on MEng candidates.
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
Actually, many do. When I was at BP earlier in the year, I was told that graduates with the MEng on average get something like 1.5-2K extra per year, to do the same job. And a year or two ago when Amec came to my uni they also said that MEng graduates would earn more than BEng graduates in the same job.

Of course, the BEng graduates will have been working for a year longer so they'll have made an extra year's salary by the time the MEng guys get into the jobs market... but the MEng is fast becoming the industry standard degree, with many of the graduate schemes I've seen only taking on MEng candidates.

Really? That's quite surprising :s-smilie:, as I'd imagine all graduates would be doing pretty similar work, BEng or MEng.
Original post by Peel
Really? That's quite surprising :s-smilie:, as I'd imagine all graduates would be doing pretty similar work, BEng or MEng.

Exactly the same work. I guess it's just because MEng graduates don't need any extra support or money for masters level learning to get chartered, and are presumed to have more potential or something.

And also these were large companies, it's probably different for smaller ones.
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
Exactly the same work. I guess it's just because MEng graduates don't need any extra support or money for masters level learning to get chartered, and are presumed to have more potential or something.

And also these were large companies, it's probably different for smaller ones.

Ah I see, thanks for that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest