The Student Room Group

What's your university story?!

I am providing a session to a small group of year 11 students on obstacles of going to uni. The aim is to show that all different kinds of people from different backgrounds, with different circumstances and difficulties faced go to university! There isn't just one "kind" of person who goes to university. The hope is that they then will realise they have the potentail too! (fingers crossed).

It would be brilliant if anyone would be willing to just write a few lines about their journey to university, such as a few details about themselves, what they are studying, any difficulties, whether they did alevels or vocational courses, took gap year etc!
What ever you feel is relevant!

So if there are any good samaritans out there who would like to help me out, I thank you very much in advance! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CMel
I am providing a session to a small group of year 11 students on obstacles of going to uni. The aim is to show that all different kinds of people from different backgrounds, with different circumstances and difficulties faced go to university! There isn't just one "kind" of person who goes to university. The hope is that they then will realise they have the potentail too! (fingers crossed).

It would be brilliant if anyone would be willing to just write a few lines about their journey to university, such as a few details about themselves, what they are studying, any difficulties, whether they did alevels or vocational courses, took gap year etc!
What ever you feel is relevant!

So if there are any good samaritans out there who would like to help me out, I thank you very much in advance! :smile:

Not really sure if this is what you want, but you're welcome to it anyway:

I grew up very working class - my father was a telephone engineer right up until he damaged his back, at which point he was moved inside for a basic office job. My mother didn't work until I was about fifteen, and then as a school science technician. A lot of my early childhood was spent living in north-east London, in a very poor and rough borough, until we moved to Cambridgeshire when I was about seven.

At school, I was all right - didn't compare badly with my peers, but I was largely disinterested in it, and stayed to do A-levels purely because I lacked better ideas. Originally applied to uni due to the same thing, for a course I was semi interested in, but didn't see a future with.

In the end, I persuaded myself that my reasons were idiotic, so it would make no sense to follow them through, but ended up firming and insuring a couple of them, so that I bought myself time alone to think without parents pressuring me to think fast. In the end, it paid off; realised what I wanted in life a few weeks before results, got myself out of my offers and went through Clearing.
Reply 3
Original post by Operane

Original post by Operane
I come from a single parent family and grew up in a council estate in London. None of my family had ever passed A Levels, let alone been to university. I studied A Levels and after completing them, was unsure of what I wanted to do or what career I wanted. At this time, the school I previously studied my GCSE's at (and A Levels) offered me a 1 year contract working with special needs pupils.

In 2009, I took the offer, worked for a year and traveled around Africa for a month with 6 pupils and 4 teachers on a school trip. I then decided I wanted to be a teacher and created a UCAS application to study BSc Computing at university in 2010.

I was given an unconditional offer which I accepted and am now 8 weeks into university life, and am the first person in my family to ever make it to university.

I still visit the school I worked at and am returning to Africa with them next year.

I also created a blog about how I got into university and my time here... which might be of some interest. It's at www.operane.com

Wish all the pupils good luck from me and advise them that it doesn't matter what your background is, university is for everyone that would like to study on at further education. :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply Operane! It was just what I was after - inspirational stuff :smile: can i ask what course you went on to study and how you are finding it?
Thank you again, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TheSownRose

Original post by TheSownRose
Not really sure if this is what you want, but you're welcome to it anyway:

I grew up very working class - my father was a telephone engineer right up until he damaged his back, at which point he was moved inside for a basic office job. My mother didn't work until I was about fifteen, and then as a school science technician. A lot of my early childhood was spent living in north-east London, in a very poor and rough borough, until we moved to Cambridgeshire when I was about seven.

At school, I was all right - didn't compare badly with my peers, but I was largely disinterested in it, and stayed to do A-levels purely because I lacked better ideas. Originally applied to uni due to the same thing, for a course I was semi interested in, but didn't see a future with.

In the end, I persuaded myself that my reasons were idiotic, so it would make no sense to follow them through, but ended up firming and insuring a couple of them, so that I bought myself time alone to think without parents pressuring me to think fast. In the end, it paid off; realised what I wanted in life a few weeks before results, got myself out of my offers and went through Clearing.

hi Sownrose, this was what I was after :smile: thank you! Just to confirm - you were unsure of what you wanted to do in life and applied to university, but was unsure of the course you picked. After some time spent thinking you realised what you wanted to do, so you applied to the course you wanted through clearing? :smile:
Reply 5
Myself before Uni: work usually in on time, hardly drank and never smoked much
Journey to Uni: Study, have no life for 5 months and give up Xbox
Uni: Get smashed 3 - 4 times a week and have a good time.
Reply 6
Original post by M1F2R3

Original post by M1F2R3
Myself before Uni: work usually in on time, hardly drank and never smoked much
Journey to Uni: Study, have no life for 5 months and give up Xbox
Uni: Get smashed 3 - 4 times a week and have a good time.

Hi overlord, thanks for replying and nice to know uni is doing your liver some good! :wink: can i ask what motivated you to go to uni? had you always wanted to go to uni? Did you do ALevels or diploma?
Reply 7

It would be brilliant if anyone would be willing to just write a few lines about their journey to university, such as a few details about themselves, what they are studying, any difficulties, whether they did alevels or vocational courses, took gap year etc! What ever you feel is relevant!

So if there are any good samaritans out there who would like to help me out, I thank you very much in advance!
Before: Wanted to go to Uclan to do Journalism. Would be first in my family to go to university.
Journey to uni: Issues of having dyspraxia came to the service was never helped before found A-levels very difficult, found out I had dyslexia as well.
Uni: I go to uni of manchester, ended up studying at the uni of Hong Kong for a semester.
What motivated me? my love of learning.
I completely messed up a levels because I hated school, had to go to a uni that I hated, dropped out and worked in a bowling alley, then found out that the open university gave grants so I could basically get a free degree, now im doing that whilst running my own business aswell.
I did the first year of A Levels. I started off studying Biology, Psychology, Business Studies and Health and Social Care. But I really hated school, didn't do the work and hardly went to any of the lessons. I ended up with a B, a C and 3 U's for AS which wasn't as bad as I was expecting but I decided that I could not stick out school anymore. So went to college to do a BTEC in Health and Social Care, I knuckled down, worked as hard as I could and came out with a Distinction (and the highest grade in my class :smile:).
I was really worried I wouldn't get into uni because I didn't have A Levels. I didn't get into my first choice because of that reason. But now I'm studying Diagnostic Radiography at uni, am in my second year. I love the subject, and love the people I have met... and the main thing... I'm really happy here.

I realise that was more than a few lines.
Reply 11
Original post by cellophane11

Original post by cellophane11
I did the first year of A Levels. I started off studying Biology, Psychology, Business Studies and Health and Social Care. But I really hated school, didn't do the work and hardly went to any of the lessons. I ended up with a B, a C and 3 U's for AS which wasn't as bad as I was expecting but I decided that I could not stick out school anymore. So went to college to do a BTEC in Health and Social Care, I knuckled down, worked as hard as I could and came out with a Distinction (and the highest grade in my class :smile:).
I was really worried I wouldn't get into uni because I didn't have A Levels. I didn't get into my first choice because of that reason. But now I'm studying Diagnostic Radiography at uni, am in my second year. I love the subject, and love the people I have met... and the main thing... I'm really happy here.

I realise that was more than a few lines.

Ah no don't worry about being more than a few lines, that's perfect! thank you so much for sharing! Really glad that you are doing well and enjoying your course. This will be really useful and inspiring for the students - thank you :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by morecambebay

Original post by morecambebay
I completely messed up a levels because I hated school, had to go to a uni that I hated, dropped out and worked in a bowling alley, then found out that the open university gave grants so I could basically get a free degree, now im doing that whilst running my own business aswell.

HI morecamebay, thank you for your story! I dropped out of uni once too...things certainly do work out for the better. Thank you for your contribution, it will be really useful to show that university can be done this way! Thanks again!
(edited 13 years ago)
I did my A levels, got into all 5 unis I applied for, had Warwick as first choice and Portsmouth as back up. Coasted sixth form thinking I'd get the 3 Bs I needed, released myself from Portsmouth a week before results day just in case.. didn't get into Warwick (surprise surprise) so rang Coventry up and was accepted through clearing by 10am on results day :smile: and i LOVE it!!
Original post by CMel

It would be brilliant if anyone would be willing to just write a few lines about their journey to university, such as a few details about themselves, what they are studying, any difficulties, whether they did alevels or vocational courses, took gap year etc! What ever you feel is relevant!

So if there are any good samaritans out there who would like to help me out, I thank you very much in advance!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1126657
Reply 15
Original post by Curly_hair_girl

Original post by Curly_hair_girl
Before: Wanted to go to Uclan to do Journalism. Would be first in my family to go to university.
Journey to uni: Issues of having dyspraxia came to the service was never helped before found A-levels very difficult, found out I had dyslexia as well.
Uni: I go to uni of manchester, ended up studying at the uni of Hong Kong for a semester.
What motivated me? my love of learning.

Ah that is a lovely post Curly Hair Girl. Thank you so much! Really nice to know that you have been able to achieve so much :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by CMel
Hi overlord, thanks for replying and nice to know uni is doing your liver some good! :wink: can i ask what motivated you to go to uni? had you always wanted to go to uni? Did you do ALevels or diploma?

The career field I want to enter doesn't actually require a degree, though doing a degree will save a lot of time. The motivation is getting out in the real world at the end of my degree, meeting people and doing some business. I took A levels, I could of done a BTEC or something similar but A levels were the best option.
I've pretty much always known I wanted to go to Uni so I always set about to get good grades and to work hard for what I wanted to achieve. As far as difficulties went, the course I went in for was quite competitive, but I got into Uni and am loving it!
Original post by CMel
hi Sownrose, this was what I was after :smile: thank you! Just to confirm - you were unsure of what you wanted to do in life and applied to university, but was unsure of the course you picked. After some time spent thinking you realised what you wanted to do, so you applied to the course you wanted through clearing? :smile:

Exactly right. :smile:
I never planned on going to uni - I wanted to be a musician....

Started AS music and hated it (they didn't tell me it was all classical based, I play bass...) and had to persuade my college that I was seriously unhappy and wanted to switch courses. I changed to Accounting, but as it was already February by that point I had to use an Open Learning course to self-teach myself the first half of the year. I managed an E grade at AS, and decided to retake the AS (continuing my other subjects to A2) so I could have a solid foundation on my knowledge. I then went on to achieve an A in Accounting AS, and decided that it was the career area for me.

I convinced college that I needed to do a 3rd year in order to finish my accounting A2, and took other subjects to fill my timetable (Finance and Music Tech). Applied to uni and accepted a conditional offer at Portsmouth. Unfortunately I missed my Ports offer by a grade, and really didn't want to go to my insurance so I declined my place.

I am now working as a payroll & bookkeeping assistant, and have an unconditional place at Portsmouth. Although I was terrified that I was making a massive mistake when I declined my insurance place, I am now certain that I did the right thing as I managed to get a place at a uni I really want to be at, and a job in the industry which is great for experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending