The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

The Cambridge Postgraduates' Thread

Discussion for postgraduates and potential postgraduates at Cambridge :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What is the protocol for changing college when going from a Masters student to a PhD student? Is your application looked upon more favourably (by your current college) if you specify them as first choice college again? What if you choose two different colleges as 1st and 2nd preference but get neither, would you then be more/less likely to be chosen by your old college?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hi,

I'm applying for an MPhil in Management and it's asking for a 1st and 2nd choice of college.

1) What should I put down if my biggest preference is having a single room with a private bathroom?

2) What should I put down if my biggest preference is living inside one of the older, castle-esque colleges (as opposed to a faraway "hostel")?

I realize these are things that a lot of people want, but I've just spent hours looking at different colleges' websites, and they don't really tell you how likely each of these scenarios is.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by barnisaurusrex
What is the protocol for changing college when going from a Masters student to a PhD student? Is your application looked upon more favourably (by your current college) if you specify them as first choice college again? What if you choose two different colleges as 1st and 2nd preference but get neither, would you then be more/less likely to be chosen by your old college?
I know someone who changed college after an MPhil and I think all they did was put a different college down. I also know someone who tried to change but was unsuccessful and Robinson took them back but presumably some colleges are more popular than Robinson.
Reply 4
Hey great thread!

I also have a few questions.

I'm applying for an MPhil in History and would like to know how realistic it is for me to put down Trinity as my first choice and King's as my second. I have a 3.88 (83.6%, A-) Faculty GPA and a 4.00 (86%, A) Department GPA (from a Canadian uni).

What does Trinity look for in MPhil candidates? Are they biased towards the sciences? Do I stand a chance? Is it just about grades or is it also about the research proposal (those are the only things they have access to in my application I believe)?

Also, is it a bad strategic move to put two competitive (i.e. "A") colleges as my two choices? Meaning that if I don't get Trinity then I run the risk of not getting King's either because King's will likely choose applicants who put it as their first choice. Is there any truth to my reasoning?

Finally, (sorry for all these questions), is King's really the most left-leaning college (as per the stereotypes I've read)?

Many thanks in advance to the kind soul who answers me!!!

Best of luck to all applicants!
Person one: if a big room is your main concern, rent private and arbitrarily choose a college out of a hat. Sigh.

Person two: I would be picking Trinity OR King's as #1 and then a second tier college as second choice. When I say 'second tier', I simply mean 'less subscribed' - in terms of quality there is no difference. Choosing both theoretically improves your chance of being pooled. However, as an MPhil, your interactions with your college will be entirely decided by you as your seminars/etc will be off-site. I eat and pick up my post and live in one of the houses. Other than that, the college is simply a convenient way to break up administration.
(edited 13 years ago)
*subscribe*
Reply 7

You're allowed to specify two colleges - neither of them have to be your old one. I don't think your application is looked on any more favourably by your old college. I'm applying back to my old one though, can't really see myself any another one in Cam tbh :s-smilie:.
Reply 8
Original post by leeroy-jenkins

1) What should I put down if my biggest preference is having a single room with a private bathroom?

Robinson.

Unfortunately it couldn't be further away from your 2nd point.
Reply 9

You should arrange an appointment with your senior tutor and mention that you are changing and think up some kind of reason like a particular funding prize you want to aim for or something so that it seems reasonable. That's just the convention. That way you don't burn your bridges and are free to try your luck elsewhere.
Original post by leeroy-jenkins

Loads of colleges have new, en suite accommodation.

2) What should I put down if my biggest preference is living inside one of the older, castle-esque colleges (as opposed to a faraway "hostel")?
I'm sorry, but in almost every case no old historic accommodation gets saved for graduates. Only undergraduates get to live in the old bits of old colleges. You missed your moment.

I realize these are things that a lot of people want, but I've just spent hours looking at different colleges' websites, and they don't really tell you how likely each of these scenarios is.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice. :smile:

What you need to be looking at is the location of their graduate housing which is mentioned on college websites. Then put the location into google maps, or google street view and see where it is in relation to the actual college and your department.
Original post by chupeta
Hey great thread!

I also have a few questions.

I'm applying for an MPhil in History and would like to know how realistic it is for me to put down Trinity as my first choice and King's as my second. I have a 3.88 (83.6%, A-) Faculty GPA and a 4.00 (86%, A) Department GPA (from a Canadian uni).

It doesn't matter if you're Nelson Mandela or Queen Cleopatra. Don't apply to Kings or Trinity. Everybody does. Nobody gets in. You will be pooled and end up at a new graduate college. Choose colleges from the 'B' category in the grad prospectus.
Thank you for the responses!

There is a convention that your undergrad college will always take you back. Of course if you really blot your copy book with them, they could go against the convention, but BoGS would make it very difficult for them. Otherwise, just apply, but like Craggy suggested, it might be best to smooth your way out with your current college if you are looking for a scholarship or change of scene, so that you can slip back in quickly if it doesn't work out.
Reply 12
Original post by threeportdrift
There is a convention that your undergrad college will always take you back. Of course if you really blot your copy book with them, they could go against the convention, but BoGS would make it very difficult for them. Otherwise, just apply, but like Craggy suggested, it might be best to smooth your way out with your current college if you are looking for a scholarship or change of scene, so that you can slip back in quickly if it doesn't work out.

According to the BGS, if you don't get into either of your two choice colleges, your papers are automatically sent back to your old one, and I'd have to imagine they'll probably just take you back. See: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/gradstud/prospec/apply/continuation/

I've got a pretty similar question, as I'm here on a Masters' in a lovely college (Wolfson) which won't have any funding for me, so I'm looking elsewhere for my PhD applications.

The tough call is actually my second choice college; does anyone know where I could find graduate admissions statistics for the colleges? Unfortunately not many colleges have many relevant studentships (and most give "preference" to people nominating their college as first choice), but I'm particularly considering Corpus, Caius, Pembroke, Peterhouse, and Magdalene since each has at least some money available. Which of those are too selective, or could make a good second choice? (For first choice I'm looking at ones like John's, King's, Trinity Hall which have several studentships but are more selective).
Reply 13
Original post by illusionz
Robinson.

Unfortunately it couldn't be further away from your 2nd point.

Same for Wolfson (my college), where the rooms aren't very big but they're all single (I don't think Cambridge has any double rooms!) and most are en-suite. But of course, it's not very old and isn't in the center of town. But it's a great place! I do think most colleges offer plenty of rooms with en-suite, though.

That said, no matter what college you get in you're unlikely to be living in one of the old, castle-y buildings. If you do, I believe colleges like King's, Trinity, Queens, Pembroke, Clare, and Magdalene (off the top of my head, and out of a possibly-hazy memory) do offer at least some rooms in College (but many are in more modern in-college buildings!). Many colleges have accomodation info on their websites, and those that don't will give you the e-mail of an admissions or accomodation officer who should be more than happy to answer those questions.
Reply 14
Original post by Craghyrax

It doesn't matter if you're Nelson Mandela or Queen Cleopatra. Don't apply to Kings or Trinity. Everybody does. Nobody gets in. You will be pooled and end up at a new graduate college. Choose colleges from the 'B' category in the grad prospectus.

This seems a little radical to be honest.
I personally know some people who did their undergrads at King's and Trinity. Yes Trinity asks for a 42 IB score, which is rather high, given King's asks for a 38. Either way, there must be some way for postgraduate applicants to get in, people get in! I just want to know who does, and what they are looking for in the applicants.

I will most likely put down a B-college as my second choice, but I'm set in putting either King's or Trinity as my first.
Reply 15
Original post by Athena

King's (and indeed,most of/ all the A band colleges) were full really early this year - they all stop taking candidates around the same time. So it's highly likely that Trinity will reject you and King's will be so full they won't even look at your application. Consider some of the other colleges as a second choice eg Peterhouse, Fitz, Churchill, Caius.

Are you sure these colleges are already full? I find that hard to believe given most graduate applications are not due until December/January and many are due in February and March.

I also met some people who got offers to St. John's, Trinity, and King's in April.

Also, if these colleges were, as you say "full", it appears to me that they would notify applicants so they don't waste a choice in applying to them.
Reply 16
Original post by chupeta
Are you sure these colleges are already full? I find that hard to believe given most graduate applications are not due until December/January and many are due in February and March.

I also met some people who got offers to St. John's, Trinity, and King's in April.

Also, if these colleges were, as you say "full", it appears to me that they would notify applicants so they don't waste a choice in applying to them.

No offence but I don't really have time to argue with you. If you want to try your luck, be my guest, but don't come sobbing in 6 months time when you end up at Hughes Hall, which is what happened to the vast majority of people on TSR last application round who chose those colleges and were applying as late as you. I don't know any of them that ended up at Kings or Trinity.
Original post by ramparts
Same for Wolfson (my college), where the rooms aren't very big but they're all single (I don't think Cambridge has any double rooms!) and most are en-suite. But of course, it's not very old and isn't in the center of town. But it's a great place! I do think most colleges offer plenty of rooms with en-suite, though.

No that's not true. Some colleges have double rooms. There are a few at Trinity Hall as well as lots of couples' housing. And plenty of colleges have rooms that are 'sets' .
Reply 17
Oh, sets, sure. I meant single bedrooms (and obviously ignored couples housing). Pure two-people-in-one-room doubles? Well... maybe I'll cross off Trinity Hall :wink: And I'd agree that applying to King's or Trinity is risky (and applying to both is bone-headed), but surely applying around now is not at all too late to have a decent shot, if you're within their range academically.
I often wonder why people are so obsessed with applying to Trinity/King's anyway. Sure, they look pretty, but so do most of the rest of the colleges, and Trinity/King's are full of absolute squares whose majority existence on earth has been with their heads buried in books. I couldn't think of a worse place to live as a postgrad than either of those colleges.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Athena

...I'm at King's. And the MCR is brilliant (a lot better than at some other colleges I could think of [and one I have extensive experience of]). The grads are cool and very friendly, for a college that's apparently not that well-endowed (no jokes) if feels like the place is awash with money for academic support and fun, and there are good subject links - we go to drinks with the undergrads and NatSci fellows, as well as events involving all the biologists and medics, and just the biology graduates. I'm on to my third Oxbridge college now, and I can see why people are rabid in their applications to places like Trinity, John's etc. Obviously there are lots of colleges with very good/nice/fun MCRs, but there are also some places with crappy ones.

Which other colleges were you at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending