The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

The Cambridge Postgraduates' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Greetings, friends! Sorry to crash the party, but I have Burning Questions.

Does anyone find anything seriously wrong with doing the 9-year MB/PhD course in Cambridge? Besides the cost; that's being taken care of. Merci in advance!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hello all,

sorry to ruin the gradchat of those already there, but I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge for a Masters in Political thought and Intellectual History. At the moment, I'm lookng for colleges that appeal. My priorities are nice grad accommodation that's not too far away from central Cambridge and a decent graduate atmospher (I know that's horribly generic, but it's what I have in mind). I've looked round some colleges and at some prospectuses, and I'm quite keen on Selwyn atm. Does anyone have any suggestions or input as to places that would be worth applying to (I'm not dead set on old prestigious colleges, but I'd rather not be at someone that's tiny either).
Reply 182
Original post by Andy the Anarchist
Hello all,

sorry to ruin the gradchat of those already there, but I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge for a Masters in Political thought and Intellectual History. At the moment, I'm lookng for colleges that appeal. My priorities are nice grad accommodation that's not too far away from central Cambridge and a decent graduate atmospher (I know that's horribly generic, but it's what I have in mind). I've looked round some colleges and at some prospectuses, and I'm quite keen on Selwyn atm. Does anyone have any suggestions or input as to places that would be worth applying to (I'm not dead set on old prestigious colleges, but I'd rather not be at someone that's tiny either).

I think you'll find a 'nice graduate atmosphere' anywhere you go, but looking at the number of graduates a college takes could help. For instance if it has only a few grads then there's a chance there could be a less lively community, or at least a smaller pool of people to mix with.
In terms of accommodation, all colleges offer grad accommodation that isn't far from the centre. Cambridge distances are very small in comparison to other places so remember that if a college's accommodation is described as 'further out', this probably means a 10 - 15min cycle rather than 3min walk :p:
Most colleges have 'nice accommodation' depending on what you're willing to pay. I would recommend my own college for accommodation (Trinity Hall), but obviously I've only lived here so don't have much point of comparison. I have spent time in a few grad friends' houses at Jesus college and their accommodation was also nice, and right in the centre, but a bit noisy for my liking because of traffic.

This table is very useful: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/gradstud/prospec/studying/colleges/facts.html
Note that colleges are categorised from A - C according to how oversubscribed they are. This isn't an indication of how good the colleges are, but more an indication that loads of overseas students are too lazy to look into it and tend to just put down Trinity, Johns or Kings because they've heard of these before hand, which distorts the application patterns. A sensible strategy is to choose a college from the 'A' list for your first choice and one from 'B' or 'C' for second. Or a 'B' for first choice. Never an 'A' for second choice. Nobody is sure but it does seem that to a degree, you stand better chances of getting your choice if you apply early. So apply in October if you can.

You should spend some time looking at college websites in more detail. Some things you could look out for are:
- Where the grad accommodation is in relation to your department. For instance it would be an epic fail to do an Education course and live at Churchill or Girton... or to choose Homerton when you're an Astrophysicist...
- What sort of funding the college has, and if there are any awards specific to your subject or nationality you could apply for
- Facilities: Does having access to a 24hr library interest you? If so, look at college library opening hours. 19 colleges have 24 hour libraries. Do you gym? Some colleges have better gyms than others, and or sports fields and the like.
- College intake: there are two graduate only colleges, and graduate + mature student colleges, which might offer a nicer atmosphere if you wanted to be around over 21s, rather than annoying fresher 18 year olds.
- Catering. Some colleges charge graduates the Kitchen Facilities Charge regardless of whether they eat any college catered food or not. Others allow graduates to opt out of the KFC if they aren't going to eat in college.

While I would encourage you to devote time looking closely at college websites, you should always remember that the college is not the same as the University. It is just one side of your life at Cambridge. You will meet people through your course and doubtless through plenty of other avenues, such as extra curricular activities and general day to day life. The college you go to does not impact on the quality of your education at Cambridge in any way. Many graduates opt to live in private accommodation. Colleges generally offer the same facilities and maintain and run the social scene in the same way. In short, its not a massive issue and you are going to find like minded people and have a good time no matter what college you go to.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1391338 There is a thread for Cambridge grad applicants from this year's cycle in the Postgraduate forum. If you read through it you'll find lots of interesting helpful Q&As.

Original post by Andy the Anarchist

Just on Selwyn - the grad accommodation is either on one of two grad staircases in Cripps Court, a 1960's concrete block, with overwhelmingly brown rooms, but sunny and a decent size and right on top of the MCR. Or in one of about 6 houses within 300 yards of college on Grange Road or West Road, which have a varied range of rooms by size, window/cupboard arrangements and are variously perceived as good and bad depending on your priorities. Several of the houses have gardens. Pretty well equipped kitchens in the houses, useless gyp rooms in Cripps.

Very much a college that runs for its students, not despite them and pretty responsive to student requests, either collective or individual.

Good MCR community while I was there, but remember that 1/3 of the population of the MCR changes every year, so you have a fairly large part to play in the community and can influence it yourself.

The MCR usually has a very broad range students, the college actively recruits for that. However, History and IR are both strong for a few practical reasons, so you should have a range of people to chat academics with.
Reply 184
Original post by threeportdrift
Just on Selwyn - the grad accommodation is either on one of two grad staircases in Cripps Court, a 1960's concrete block, with overwhelmingly brown rooms, but sunny and a decent size and right on top of the MCR. Or in one of about 6 houses within 300 yards of college on Grange Road or West Road, which have a varied range of rooms by size, window/cupboard arrangements and are variously perceived as good and bad depending on your priorities. Several of the houses have gardens. Pretty well equipped kitchens in the houses, useless gyp rooms in Cripps.

...what about St Annes?
Original post by Craghyrax
...what about St Annes?

Anne's Court (she isn't a Saint, just a very nice lady with a husband who gave a generous gift to Selwyn and named the court after her) - It's after my time, and I'm not sure how much of it is grad accommodation and what it is like gyp room wise, presumably there are some en-suites as well, because it was designed to increase conference accommodation as well as house students.
Reply 186
Anne's Court (she isn't a Saint, just a very nice lady with a husband who gave a generous gift to Selwyn and named the court after her) - It's after my time, and I'm not sure how much of it is grad accommodation and what it is like gyp room wise, presumably there are some en-suites as well, because it was designed to increase conference accommodation as well as house students.

Its all en suite. I was just trying to work out whether it would have some rooms for grads. Not sure because a friend doing the Part III is in there, but that comes down to whether Selwyn see him as undergrad or postgrad, since he carried on from undergrad.
Hi all,

I'd like to know if there is anyone or you know someone or have heard about rumours about studying master's at Cambridge in engineering.

I am admitted to do Energy Technologies this September.
However it's a new course and
I'm also worried about how hard studying at Cambridge will be and would like to ask for you guys' opinion.

One thing i want to know is do you need very sound previous knowledge of the subjects or if you work really hard you will be fine.

We can discuss this matter together here and everyone is welcome to drop a line.

Sean
Positive Rating!
If you are good enough to get in, you are good enough to pass, unless of course you faked your credentials :wink:

Getting distinctions though, can be extremely difficult.

Congrats on the offer btw
I'm thinking of applying for the graduate diploma in Economics, and the MPhil in Management, for 2012 entry.

Cambridge explicitly state on their Economics department page that economics diploma applications are to be made directly to the department and not through the university system.

I've also noticed that someone on this forum holds offers for both of these.

Am I able to?
Reply 190
What do you mean 'are you able to'? :lolwut:
What do you mean 'are you able to'? :lolwut:

Am I able to apply for two courses -.-
Reply 192
Original post by Ilustrius
Am I able to apply for two courses -.-

Yes.
Yes.

Cool cheers. Is there ever a conflict? I understand Management is slightly related to Economics, but is there any sort of disadvantage by applying for two courses?
Due to some changes in my career field I'm thinking more and more about doing my Masters this year instead of the next.

I would love to do the M. Phil in Engineering for Sustainable Development

Also, seen here

The deadline is June 30th and I can have everything ready for my application within two weeks, so more than likely I can submit it by the middle of May.

The course requirements are "At least a 2.i honours degree from a UK university or equivalent"

I'm have a BSc in Electrical & Computer Engineering Upper Second Class Honors (3.39 GPA) from the University of the West Indies (Trinidad) which is an IEEE accredited University.....that is considered pretty good and I've seen graduates with similar GPAs get into top Ivy League schools as well as Imperial etc.

I graduated in 2006 and have 4.5 years work experience.

My questions are:

Is it too late to apply even though the deadline is June 30th. I've ready on this board about the long winded acceptance process.

What are my chances of getting into Cambridge? I meed the minimum degree requirements and can have good recommendations from former Lecturers.

So, I'm going to Cambridge for 3 years to do a PhD and am slightly daunted...

My question is, what are the actual residency requirements? From what I gather you have to live in Cambridge for 3 terms (i.e. one year) and research for 9 terms before submitting either at the end of the 3rd year or at some nominal point in the 4th year. I am wondering at the moment, whether it is possible to live in the college halls for a year (to satisfy residency and generally meet people!), live somewhere in Cambridge in the 2nd year (I want to try teaching experience) and then maybe move to London in the 3rd year as I need access to the National Archives at Kew on a frequent basis. Any help would be much appreciated!
Original post by randomlyassigned
So, I'm going to Cambridge for 3 years to do a PhD and am slightly daunted...

My question is, what are the actual residency requirements? From what I gather you have to live in Cambridge for 3 terms (i.e. one year) and research for 9 terms before submitting either at the end of the 3rd year or at some nominal point in the 4th year. I am wondering at the moment, whether it is possible to live in the college halls for a year (to satisfy residency and generally meet people!), live somewhere in Cambridge in the 2nd year (I want to try teaching experience) and then maybe move to London in the 3rd year as I need access to the National Archives at Kew on a frequent basis. Any help would be much appreciated!

You will have to dig out the statutes to find the exact wording of the residence requirements, but usually, if you don't make a fuss about it and you are getting on with your work, no-one will ask questions. You can also get permission to work away from Cambridge. The pattern you suggest would be fine - 'in residence' for post grad means something like 'within 10 miles of Great St Mary's church', it might be 25 miles. The basic situation is that if you are progressing well and your Supervisor is happy, then no-one is likely to ask awkward questions.

I seem to recall that you can't submit until the first day of your ninth term at the earliest and the submission date BoGS expect is the first day of your 11th term.
Reply 197
Original post by Ilustrius
Cool cheers. Is there ever a conflict? I understand Management is slightly related to Economics, but is there any sort of disadvantage by applying for two courses?

:dontknow:
Not my subject area. Lots of people apply for two, though, so I assume it isn't a disadvantage otherwise they'd warn you in the prospectus rather than making it an official route.
Original post by prochembro
Is it too late to apply even though the deadline is June 30th. I've ready on this board about the long winded acceptance process.
No. If you submit your complete application by the stated deadline then no matter how backlogged they are they will have to look at your application. It will just probably take them awhile to get back to you.

What are my chances of getting into Cambridge? I meed the minimum degree requirements and can have good recommendations from former Lecturers.

Nobody can answer that except for the department. The best way to find out is by applying and trying your luck.
You will have to dig out the statutes to find the exact wording of the residence requirements, but usually, if you don't make a fuss about it and you are getting on with your work, no-one will ask questions. You can also get permission to work away from Cambridge. The pattern you suggest would be fine - 'in residence' for post grad means something like 'within 10 miles of Great St Mary's church', it might be 25 miles. The basic situation is that if you are progressing well and your Supervisor is happy, then no-one is likely to ask awkward questions.

I seem to recall that you can't submit until the first day of your ninth term at the earliest and the submission date BoGS expect is the first day of your 11th term.

Thanks for this, the last bit was really useful. I know you have to live in Cambridge (within 10 miles) to complete the residency, but I cannot find a definitive answer (even after going through the statutes) about how many terms residency a PhD student needs. Some say three, my old supervisor says 6? Can anyone give a definitive answer?
Original post by randomlyassigned
Thanks for this, the last bit was really useful. I know you have to live in Cambridge (within 10 miles) to complete the residency, but I cannot find a definitive answer (even after going through the statutes) about how many terms residency a PhD student needs. Some say three, my old supervisor says 6? Can anyone give a definitive answer?

This seems to suggest that 9 is the basic requirement (1). 3 terms can be spent out of Cam quite easily (1a), but special conditions can set any amount of time (1b).

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/so/2010/chapter07-section12.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending