The Student Room Group

When someone severley insults/ annoys you, what cause of action to take?

Scroll to see replies

Kid in my class, you know the sort, the quiet one, the one no one really pays any attention to. Anyone so one day this other kid thought it would be 'funny' to start taking the mick out of him. And it didnt just stop after that day. It carried on for many many months. So one day the guy is taking the piss like normal, and then the quiet kid snaps. He grabbed the dickhead and beat the **** out of him. After that the guy never bothered him again.
I would be amused not offended if someone told a "your mother..." joke about me. My mother obviously isn't really a prostitute so why would I be offended?

Perhaps if they did a joke about my grandmother dying of cancer or something horrifically racist I'd take it more seriously. Otherwise just brush it off.

I think you'd end up looking kind of insecure if you let something petty like that get to you.
Generally shut up and **** off. It's usually pretty obvious if I'm actually pissed off, cuz I just walk off and stop joking around like I usually would.

I don't really do confrontation, unless it's just general debate on something I feel passionately about.
Is this a joke? Man the **** up, you sorry excuse for a human being. Jesus ****ing wept.
Reply 24
If I can think of a witty comeback I would use one otherwise I would just ignore them. Eleanor Roosevelt said 'no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'

If the insults are born out of their own insecurity/jealousy/malicious nature, then I don't take it personally, they're just idiots.

If they have a point or if there is some truth in what they are saying, then I register that.
I just walk away/ignore them even if its really driving me nuts.
I dont like to give my attention to people who seeks attention desperately.
Its like feeding them.
lol... I don't see how this thread is serious.

the healthy thing to do is ignore it, or make a wise crack back. Don't resort to violence, since whoever does that is always the loser.
I used to hit people back, but now you just have to walk away and ignore it.
Reply 28
Boing Fwip!
Depending on the isult.

I'd slap 'em. Not sure what I would do if I were a guy.

Though they would probably kick the box by now if they mentioned my mother.
Don't get drawn into anything physical, whatever you do. Just makes things worse. If you're at uni, surely it's fairly easy to avoid one person, unless they're in your seminars etc? Try not to let one stupid prick ruin get to you and ruin things.
Don't make it physical - will end in a criminal record.
If it's a silly 'your mum joke' then rise above it.

If he is actually insulting you - make a big deal out of it.
The important thing is to not let the insult flow into casual conversation. Make it awkward.
The second he says it, pick up on it. Look up from what you're doing and look him in the eye - make threatening eye contact - and say "What did you just say?" - say it bluntly and sternly, as loudly as you can, make the entire room go silent. Stop the conversation dead.
This might be enough to get the message across as it is. But if he replies:
"I said your mum's a prostitute"
"What do you mean she's a prostitute?"
Keep asking him questions - make him explain it over and over again, keep saying "what do you mean, why did you say that for"

Make it look like you're about to fight him - you don't have to make it physical, but let him know from your body language that you're feeling like beating the **** out of him. Don't take the joke well at all. Don't let it go down well at all.

You've done 5 years of boxing so I'm guessing you'll be pretty intimidating.

I know I'm a girl and I can't really compare, but I was in a seminar and one (much older) woman stood up to volunteer our group to present work then tried to force me to speak for her because she didn't want to speak (despite being the one too volunteer - if you can't be bothered to speak then don't volunteer to!?) and said in front of the whole class just to put me on the spot - "you can speak" - I just looked at her in the eye without a trace of humour or friendliness and said "you can't personally volunteer our group then make me speak, I didn't volunteer - you did". The more awkward you make it - the more embarrassing it is for them. They won't to it again. Don't let people push you about.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by vBison
Now this is a sensible discussion which sort-of reigns in essences of bullying and what not.

But what do you do if someone severely insults or annoys you, to the point you feel like hitting them? When i say annoy I mean insulting you to the point of being a cliche.

In terms of insults: "your mums a prosti.... etc". I'm also talking about insults your "mates" or acquaintances say to you which are out of order.

The most obvious response would be to tell a teacher, but no offense these days telling a teacher about things like this when you're 18+ is like talking to a brick wall.

Sometimes people feel they need to take it into their owns hands. Do you feel this is the right course of action? Or that thick skin is needed?

I bring this up because at my school/ college/ uni people who, I am not "tight" with (i.e. people are barely know) think it's okay to insult me for a joke. Having thick skin is a cliche as when this person constantly insults me day in day out, I wish i could make him feel 5 years of amatuer boxing training to his temple and lower jaw. Only thing holding me back is, when you're 18+ and at uni/ college it's not a school fight anymore, and its regarded as a criminal offense. Plus the prospect of getting expelled does not help. I wont say where i study, as to not embarrass them as some have told me to "just deal with it", but im pretty sure hitting them won't do.

And this is a serious discussion, the point is to talk about awkward situations you have been in, repeatedly, where someone who you dont know, or even a friend thinks it's acceptable to insult you to get a good laugh out of it, and how you have dealt with it.

Pull his trousers and pants down, then leg it. Thus he will receive his comeuppance and you won't get hurt/expelled/arrested.
Oh you know. The ol' one two.
Reply 34
Original post by Lewroll
Kid in my class, you know the sort, the quiet one, the one no one really pays any attention to. Anyone so one day this other kid thought it would be 'funny' to start taking the mick out of him. And it didnt just stop after that day. It carried on for many many months. So one day the guy is taking the piss like normal, and then the quiet kid snaps. He grabbed the dickhead and beat the **** out of him. After that the guy never bothered him again.

I've seen that happened 1234896923486.2348678965 x 10 to the power of 10 times. People say violence doesnt solve anything... lol. solves bullying.
The other day I wore my red coat to the union and this group of about 12 girls followed my friend and I back the whole way back singing "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?" which I didn't mind too much. However, when my friend turned down her road they continued to follow me, so I asked them to be quiet so that they didn't wake my flatmates and everyone along our road and they started insulting me instead. Again, I didn't really care until one of them yelled "I hope you get raped!" at which point I lost it, crossed the road and yelled at them for several minutes until they shut up. I don't normally do that kind of thing; I was just seriously annoyed
OP needs to go to Broadmoor. That's not healthy behaviour.
Chop them up and eat them with parsley.
Original post by vBison
Now this is a sensible discussion which sort-of reigns in essences of bullying and what not.

But what do you do if someone severely insults or annoys you, to the point you feel like hitting them? When i say annoy I mean insulting you to the point of being a cliche.

In terms of insults: "your mums a prosti.... etc". I'm also talking about insults your "mates" or acquaintances say to you which are out of order.

The most obvious response would be to tell a teacher, but no offense these days telling a teacher about things like this when you're 18+ is like talking to a brick wall.

Sometimes people feel they need to take it into their owns hands. Do you feel this is the right course of action? Or that thick skin is needed?

I bring this up because at my school/ college/ uni people who, I am not "tight" with (i.e. people are barely know) think it's okay to insult me for a joke. Having thick skin is a cliche as when this person constantly insults me day in day out, I wish i could make him feel 5 years of amatuer boxing training to his temple and lower jaw. Only thing holding me back is, when you're 18+ and at uni/ college it's not a school fight anymore, and its regarded as a criminal offense. Plus the prospect of getting expelled does not help. I wont say where i study, as to not embarrass them as some have told me to "just deal with it", but im pretty sure hitting them won't do.

And this is a serious discussion, the point is to talk about awkward situations you have been in, repeatedly, where someone who you dont know, or even a friend thinks it's acceptable to insult you to get a good laugh out of it, and how you have dealt with it.

You go to school, college and uni! Wow impressive.
Reply 39
If a clever quip comes to mind, I'll use it, then refuse to get drawn into an argument.
Usually I'll just splutter something indignant and incoherant and go and rant to a friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending