The Student Room Group

Any tips for getting A* in English - Creative Writing?

Hi, I'm currently in year 10 and im going to be sitting the newly-devised controlled assessment for English Language pretty soon - 2 hours of the entire 4 hours are focused on recreating a scene from MacBeth (the school chose Macbeth because the entire year were familiar with the plot) and regenerating it into a modern version.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to achieve an A* in creative writing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
Well, I can provide a few concise tips on how to achieve that coveted A* grade.

1. An extensive vocabulary never goes amiss. Try to read a book or a broadsheet newspaper such as The Times or The Guardian. If you have trouble remembering words, there are ways that can help you to remember them easily. I collect new words I've recently learnt in a word document. So far, I've learnt a copious amount of words, so it does aid your English skills. :smile:

2. If you have grammar or punctuation issues e.g saying 'their' instead of 'they're' or if you have trouble with capital letters such as writing 'i' instead of 'I', try to improve your flaws. There are revision websites that provide help with enhancing your English skills.

3. Be creative. The point of creative writing is to devise creative stories that are enthralling and engaging to the reader. Try to envisage as many stories as possible that possess interesting qualities. :smile: Don't make the story tedious to the point where the plot leads nowhere, that might lose you marks.

I hope I've helped. Very best of luck anyways. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending