The Student Room Group

Have Your Degree Choices Changed Since Year 11 to Now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
This thread makes me realise I'm not the only one who is indecisive! When I was in about year 8 I wanted to be an interior designer, then went down the sciency route and have seriously considered dentistry, medicine, meteorology, maths, biology, chemistry, geography/earth sciences, and finally applied for natural sciences to combine a bit of all of them! :colondollar:
Reply 81
can someone tell me how to create a new forum?
I never really thought about uni when I was little, except that I'd have to go because it was just a given, but it would always have been English in general. Now probably History. Maybe History and a language, or History and English Lit, if I can find a good course.
I've always wanted to study History, going back to like, year 4 here lol. But this is the order I followed in the last few years:

1) French.
2) History and French.
3) Spanish :confused: ...I have no idea why!
4) Philosophy :colondollar:
5) History and Philosophy.
6) Medicine :rolleyes:
7) Law.
8) HISTORY!

.....And it stopped at 8 :tongue:

....But it's Ancient History now :cool:
Original post by innerhollow
My degree choices ended up being like a homogenous catalyst- they went through several changes, but went back to the original by the end of it. A nice full circle :smile: . Chemical Engineering was the first time I'd really thought "Wow here's a subject I'd actually like to do at uni". After that I considered several other subjects (i.e. Chemistry, Biochemistry, Civil Engineering, Economics, Maths, Medicine, Physics) and at one point had provisionally decided on doing a Chemistry degree instead, but in the end I was always going to end up doing Chemical Engineering. It's the only subject for me :biggrin:

I'd rather like to know what a homogenous catalyst is
I'd say it "changed" when I finally had the courage to tell my mum that I wasn't going to apply for architecture cos I've never really liked it and that I'd booked myself on a maths open day :smile:
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
I'd rather like to know what a homogenous catalyst is

It's a catalyst that is in the same phase as it's reactants (usually in solution). It often undergoes chemical changes during the reaction but by the end of the reaction it is always back to its original chemical state. I was drawing a comparison between that behaviour and the progression of my degree choices.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 87
I don't quite remember what I wanted to do in early year 11... probably a chemistry or maths degree.
And now I've applied for history and politics so yeah...
From about year 10 I wanted to do maths, english, optometry, veterinary science, chemistry, biology, zoology, and medicine in about that order with a lingering affection for optometry and zoology.
Reply 89
I did want to do Physics, but then I realised how much I hated calculating uncertainties in data so I switched to Chemistry.
Well, I used to want to study music but not at university.. I just wanted to kinda follow my own path and approach companies to get experience..

Then I didn't want to do anything at all..

And I'm in the second year of my Psychology degree now, so clearly something changed :biggrin:
Aerospace Engineering, English, Film, Journalism, Art, Animation, Natural Sciences, Geography and Economics, Environmental Science, Meteorology, Electrical Engineering, Physics and Philosophy, Geography and Economics again :p:
Reply 92
I'm still in year 11 so can't really comment on that change but generally:
year 4-6: English (though I didn't really know what it entailed)
year 7: Biology or Chemistry
year 8: English
year 9: Physics & Philosophy
year 10-now: English
(though I have hesitated over English & History/Philosophy/Politics joint honours briefly)
So I've flitted around a bit but always come back to english in the end :smile: Who knows how it will change in the next few years though?
Up until about a year ago it was always pretty much a given that I'd do English at uni. Then I realised I didn't actually like the subject. Through most of year 12 I wanted to do Psychology, but then I went to an open day and realised it wasn't the right choice for me. So I went back to English for a few months. Then, I decided on Law and it's the first time I've really felt happy with a decision : ).
For a long time I wanted to do music, and then for a while it was history. I even considered science, but then in Year 11 I became set on English Literature. Now I'm set on doing French :biggrin:
Reply 95
I've changed my mind so many times. Before doing A-levels I wanted to do Architecture or Computer Science, but then I realised I really don't like the subjects you have to do in order to do it at uni.

Then I wanted to do English Literature, and then I wanted to do French, but I never wanted to do just straight French alone. Then somehow business came into the equation and that's the course I've applied for :biggrin:
Reply 96
I was gonna do english but now im doing computer science
Reply 97
Nope it hasn't changed since year 10 when I went on work experience apart from then I wanted to go to Aberystwyth because I thought it was the only place that did it but now I want to go to Scarborough (Uni of Hull).
I've gone from Political Science to Electrical and Electronic Engineering so, yeah, maybe a slight change.
Reply 99
Start of year 12 - Wanted to dance professionally/be a cinematographer.
Start of year 13 - Applied to Cambridge to read Philosophy.

It's fair to say I've morphed a lot since year 12. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending