The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Being minority is not a good thing.
Reply 21
Original post by Aj12
Considering the population is a meer 8 million its a pretty poor example, compared to a country like the UK of 61 million that has been white for the last few thousand years.

Why is it a poor example? Why are the relative populations relevant? Most of the UAE is inhospitable given that it is desert and most settlements are near the coast - so you would need to compare population density in areas deemed 'habitable' in both nations.

Also, surely the UAE (and the land area before the term 'UAE came about) has been 'Arab' for a similarly long (if not longer) time than the UK (and the land area of the UK before the term 'UK' came about) has been majority 'white'.

By the way, when people say they would be 'unhappy if Britain became a White Minority State' do they ACTUALLY mean 'ethnically British Minority State'. (since most White people aren't Brits).
Reply 22
Original post by Mujeriego
Emiratis are extremely xenophobic. Anyone who has ever been to the UAE can attest to that.

I'm sure they are. But interestingly, I don't think any of the Emirati Sheikhs (heads of states) have advocated complete deportations of the foreign European, Arab, South Asian, African and Oriental populations living in their midst.
Reply 23
Original post by effofex
Why is it a poor example? Why are the relative populations relevant? Most of the UAE is inhospitable given that it is desert and most settlements are near the coast - so you would need to compare population density in areas deemed 'habitable' in both nations.

Also, surely the UAE (and the land area before the term 'UAE came about) has been 'Arab' for a similarly long (if not longer) time than the UK (and the land area of the UK before the term 'UK' came about) has been majority 'white'.

By the way, when people say they would be 'unhappy if Britain became a White Minority State' do they ACTUALLY mean 'ethnically British Minority State'. (since most White people aren't Brits).

Im assuming they mean White people being a minority in this country. WHich most people see as a bad thing. No one as I said before likes the idea of being a minority in their own country. The UAE cannot be compared to the UK because they are so different, in historical social and cultural terms. Your avarage Brit is very different to your average Emariti. The UAE today has been a country pretty much built for foreigners and tourism. Britain is not.
Original post by Sharpshooter
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1334271/Eight-want-tighter-controls-immigration---Lib-Dem-voters-want-cap.html

(Here's the poll in full)

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/excel/YouGov-Poll-Restricting-NonEC-Mig301110.xls

A YouGov/Migration watch poll has recently shown that 73% of British people conducted in their poll responded to being unhappy at the prospect of Britain becoming a white minority state by 2066.

The poll also showed that 81% of British support the immigration cap introduced by the conservatives.

Tbh I'm quite disgusted at this poll. Regardless of what you say about YouGov or Migration Watch it shows that there are clearly a lot of people do not like this. Britain has about 11-12% of ethnic minorities as it's population not to mention and I'm pretty most of those didn't respond to being unhappy. Which doesn't say much about everyone else in the poll.

It's clear that white Britain is still quite racist. This is supposed to be good thing for the country for christ sake!

95% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

however

100% of all daily mail statistics are made up on the spot
Reply 25
Original post by effofex
I'm sure they are. But interestingly, I don't think any of the Emirati Sheikhs (heads of states) have advocated complete deportations of the foreign European, Arab, South Asian, African and Oriental populations living in their midst.

Because if they did their country would fall apart as its built on foreign labour
Reply 26
Go troll somewhere else.
Original post by effofex
What about Emiratis? They are a minority in their own country - and by the looks of things, they don't seem to be throwing up too much of a fuss at all!

This is a different scenario. The ethnic groups that comprise the largest groups in the UAE are not as dissimilar culturally, religiously and physically in comparison to the ethnic groups that will apparently be fighting for majority status in a few decades in the UK. Just look at the religious demographics of the UAE - Islam commands a large majority, and ethnicity is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to the bonds between Muslims.
Reply 28
Original post by Aj12
Because if they did their country would fall apart as its built on foreign labour

True. For most people though, economic concerns outweight concerns over ethnicity. I doubt they care about their minority status since they are often very rich. Do you not think the same would be true in certain enclaves in Britain?

For example, British people living in certain streets in Belgravia may be in a minority.
73% of people asked said that they would be unhappy if Britain became a white minority state.
The other 27% couldn't speak English.
27& are not white and/or hipsters
Reply 31
Original post by effofex
What about Emiratis? They are a minority in their own country - and by the looks of things, they don't seem to be throwing up too much of a fuss at all!

That's because most immigrants there are 'high flying' business people that have made that area one of the most affluent in the world. You may well argue that Britain needs immigrants, but let's face it - these immigrants bring with them their mops and cleaning products to wipe toilets, not qualifications and business.

Moreover, we have a far longer and glorious history than Emiratis, and immigrants disregard it and erode it over time.
Well, obviously. Most people in the world would like the majority of their country to reflect its native population. That's not the same as saying most British people don't want anyone of different ethnicities AT ALL.
Original post by effofex

Difference: Immigrants are in the UAE on a temporary, contractual basis. You can be deported at the drop of a hat.

That is completely different to the UK where passports and benefits are thrown at immigrants.
Original post by effofex
Surely it would depend how it happened? Obviously if it was through genocide this would be bad, but what about through migrations and interbreeding?

Also, there are very many different kinds of 'black' people, just like there are very many different kinds of 'white' people? Would you not be particularly bothered then, if a different ethnic group that still came under the 'black' label became the majority ethnic group in your country whilst the previously dominant ethnic group became a minority?

Is it about ethnicity, or racial grouping?

No, actually. It wouldn't depend how it happened, I would still be pretty peeved. Its not really about the means for me.

And as a Nigerian, believe me, I know there are many different kinds of black people. FYI, there are more than 250 ethnic groups in my country, and there is no single dominant one- in fact I'm from a 'minority' ethnic group. I don't have a problem with other ethnicities, nor do I have a problem with other races. The reason I used 'black' in my last post was because of the huge spectrum of black ethnicities already in Nigeria.

But of course, like many other Nigerians, I will have a problem if Ghanaians, for example, became the dominant group. Yes, migration has its advantages, and yes, we should be accepting of everyone else, but completely outnumbering people is quite drastic and could have a lot of negative effects on the cultural assets of said country. So North America's a pretty cool country now, doesn't stop me from feeling annoyed on behalf of the Native Americans.
It's completely natural. Of course, you will get some ultra-lefties on here saying that Britain is racist and it shouldn't matter if we become a white minority state. You'll then get ultra-righties retaliating with 'the blacks are taken over' etc etc

Britain is, and forever has been a white majority country. Our culture is white, our history is white etc etc. You can hardly blame people for being unhappy at the prospect of having a white-minority in a country that really, and forever should be a white majority. Regardless of what people say, Britain is white, and I think it should be remain a majority white state.

Sorry if you think that is racist, but I think that Japan should remain a majority Japanese state, I think that Nigeria should remain a majority black state, I think that Mexico should remain a majority hispanic state...

I have nothing against people of other races, nothing at all. I just don't want Britain to become a majority black state. It wouldn't be right.
Reply 36
Original post by No Man
I'm sure The Japanese, Chinese, Nigerians, Arabs, Koreans, and Hispanics would also be unhappy if they became the minority race in their countries.

It's not racist. It's how the human race works.

Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Sorry, but how can you blame people for being anti-immigration after the issues it has caused in the past decade? You're deluded if you expect public opinion to be against some sort of immigration cap.

And, it's only natural that people would dislike the notion of their race becoming a minority. Do you honestly believe the people of Nigeria or Pakistan would vote in favour of becoming a minority to white people?

I personally don't have that much of a problem with the ethnic make-up of Britain, so long as that's all it is - skin colour. If this increase in ethnic minorities comes with religious and cultural segregation and conflict, then I am wholly against it.

In summary, you're happy to throw around the 'racist' card without considering the underlying factors in this situation. Your comments are inane and ignorant.

:facepalm2: why do people quote countries they know little about and probably haven't even visited most likely in the places the guys above quote, it doesn't really add anything.

74% of Britons think....

Well people in kyroyzstan and Burkina Faso... :facepalm2:
Reply 37
Original post by effofex
True. For most people though, economic concerns outweight concerns over ethnicity. I doubt they care about their minority status since they are often very rich. Do you not think the same would be true in certain enclaves in Britain?

For example, British people living in certain streets in Belgravia may be in a minority.

It depends. For all we know you could end up with a racist anti-white government in charge or this would not change anything.

However as others have pointed out a poll like this was pointless as population is one of the hardest things to make predictions on and it is very unlikely this would ever happen
Reply 38
One of the more stupid threads I've seen.

I'm white and I feel awkward if I'm in an all black setting. Same is true with the vice versa.

Not racism, simple human nature.
Reply 39
Surely it depends on how it happens? If we get loads of immigrants with a completely different culture and religion in the majority, then yes, people won't be happy. But if it's simply the fact that gradually immigrants assimilate themselves and the population gradually becomes mixed race, I don't see why people would mind.

Latest

Trending

Trending