The Student Room Group

Are you proud to be English/British?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ajp100688
You're an utter tit and indictive of everything that is wrong with modern Britain. I actually dealt with a great deal of what you said. Nice attempted trolling btw.

Lol. When you can't admit that you've been faced with decent logic and well poised argument, simply call troll :h:

And no, you didn't even come close to addressing the points laid out. Don't delude yourself.
Original post by jaydoh
I know you shouldn't be proud of where you happened to be born, but since there's no changing it you may as well embrace the fact and show some national pride. I don't particularly like the Royals but it's nice to see the show of national pride for royal birthdays, weddings and the likes.

So are you proud to be British?

Five thumbs down for this post. :colondollar: NATIONAL PRIDE ISN'T RACIST you ****ing idiots.

I'm proud to be British, damn straight. **** the ins and outs of definitions, I'm 100% English and British, I fly my St George from my window with pride etc

But it's not because the UK is such a great country (which it is) it's just because I happen to be born here and want an identity/roots, and be proud of them. As opposed to some people who don't. (even those born here, where's the sense in that?)
Reply 82
Original post by jaydoh
Five thumbs down for this post. :colondollar: NATIONAL PRIDE ISN'T RACIST you ****ing idiots.

I'm proud to be British, damn straight. **** the ins and outs of definitions, I'm 100% English and British, I fly my St George from my window with pride etc

But it's not because the UK is such a great country (which it is) it's just because I happen to be born here and want an identity/roots, and be proud of them. As opposed to some people who don't. (even those born here, where's the sense in that?)

Proud is a rather stupid thing to be in such a context. First and foremost it requires somebody who isn't British to compare yourself against and gloat inwardly over. Given that you didn't do anything to achieve this status bar winning the ovarian lottery and sliding out of your mother onto the right part of the Earth's surface; you will excuse me if I snigger pretentiously when you denounce those who are not proud of such a simplistic 'victory'. :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by ajp100688
You can be proud of your nation and still respect others. Ie I'm very proud of being British and British history and historical figures. Does it mean I dislike the French and belittle their people? no. I love taking the piss out of the French as much as the next man but I still recognise great French art, history, their wonderful language etc.

How in any way does this adress my point?

I will repeat it for you. :Pride inherently requires something to be proud of. Naturally that means something to compare what you are proud of to. So evidently, in stating your pride for something you assert its superiority over something else.

Saying that you like French stuff too doesn't refute, or even meet my point whatsoever.

Nationalism is something different. You see it in Nazi Germany with the idea that Germans were Aryan supermen, you see it in the Balkans with the Serbs and Croats believing the Bosniak Muslims were below them and you see i within some far right elements of Israel who hate the Palestinians.

Entirely different things. One seminar of a political thought class on the subject could tell you that.

Directing somebody else to read up on their knowledge makes you look very stupid when your's is clearly lacking.

What you are speaking of is ethno-nationalism. Nationalism is not an explicit political ideology and there are very many different strands and theories. You can find this in any basic introduction to political theory.

(See I can do it because I actually know what I'm talking about :smile:)
Reply 84
im very proud to be british and i have some reasons as to why rather than just HELL YEAHH I AMM :biggrin:

the reason why i am is because of the amazing revolutions in technology that the british have came up with, things like bridges, steam engines etc etc, without amazing feats like this, npthing would have stepped forward into the next technology.

im not saying that the rest of the world hasnt done anything because they have and without all of the countries hjaving their own part in how the world works we wouldnt be where we are today. :smile:

but the one thing i am looking forward to is the bloodhound SSC, a 1050 mph car designed and made in england. go check it out ... if that isnt something to be proud of i dont know what is!
Reply 85
Certainly. Why shouldn't you be proud of where you were born? It depends on what kind of pride I guess...
Original post by Escriba

Original post by Escriba
Certainly. Why shouldn't you be proud of where you were born? It depends on what kind of pride I guess...

For the same reason there's no reason to be proud of having brown hair.
Reply 87
Of course! w00t.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 88
I'm proud to be part of the British public. I describe myself as lower class (middle class being those who live in nice big houses and can afford a couple of cars, upper class being those who regularly play polo and are the children of an earl of something), and I'm proud to be in this social class. I think that as people we are resourceful and generally strive to be happy. There's a few people who skive off work and just sit around claiming benefits, but I don't think that represents Britain.

I am not, however, proud to be under the rule of a monarchy and a government with such ridiculous leaders. I am actually angry that these fools are in charge.

People may have different opinions based on their own experience, but this is mine.
No. Yeah I was born there and I live there most of my life, but if people ask I always use my 'ethnicity'. As I suppose I'm more proud of that.
Reply 90
I am especially proud to be British/English ... Having travelled to loads of underdeveloped country you realise how privileged you are to be in this country
Original post by Teveth
Such as?

Well for me 'British' conjuors up ideas of the British empire whereas 'English' feels more personal to me and things like white cliffs of Dover and cornwall etc. As well as tea.
I was, until Mitchell Johnson decided to be good at cricket again.

I'm grateful I was born in a comparatively rich country, and never had to struggle to survive, rather than proud exactly, but there are little idiosyncrasies that British people have that I enjoy.
Reply 93
I can't see how you can be proud that you happen to come from somewhere. Be proud of a countries achievements of you were part of it but otherwise its a waste of energy. I am not proud to be British and hate what the country is becoming.
I suppose I'm proud to be British :biggrin: I have a lot of foreign friends from all over the world and they seem pretty interested in British life, and they're all proud in themselves to know a Brit :biggrin:
Reply 95
Original post by TheRevolution
I am not proud to be living after the golden age of the British Empire.

I am not proud that we are a country desperatley holding on to the global perception of being a world power. It's so contrived when it used to be effortless.

I'm very dissapointed and ashamed at the pathetic way our Empire was thrown away.

I am also not proud because I'm not part of the gentry or the upper classes but lower-middle at best. It's not tha part of British society I feel like i fit in within nor feel proud to be in.

Would you rather Britain forced control over loads of different territories and not allow them freedom to govern and rule then?
Reply 96
Original post by devils18
By British does that include Asians that were born here like me? Or is it just the indigenous population?

Depends if you consider yourself British I suppose.
I'm proud of what Britain used to be. A great empire which ruled a quarter of the earth's surface. Now it is a shameful ailing power at the mercy of Islamisation, third-world invasion, and its former colony, the USA. Who could be proud of that?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
I'm proud of what Britain used to be. A great empire which ruled a quarter of the earth's surface. Now it is a shameful ailing power at the mercy of Islamisation, third-world invasion, and its former colony, the USA. Who could be proud of that?

At the turn of the last century we ruled the waves one quarter of the world. Now we are ruled by Brussels and can't even fit an aircraft carrier with an aircraft, we have to share with the French.
Original post by Aeolus
Proud is a rather stupid thing to be in such a context. First and foremost it requires somebody who isn't British to compare yourself against and gloat inwardly over. Given that you didn't do anything to achieve this status bar winning the ovarian lottery and sliding out of your mother onto the right part of the Earth's surface; you will excuse me if I snigger pretentiously when you denounce those who are not proud of such a simplistic 'victory'. :smile:

Hello old friend.

What about if I say that I'm proud to be a member of my family and I'm proud of their (and my) roots? I'm proud to belong somewhere and to something that's bigger than I am. That seems a fairly natural feeling. And to say that I'm stupid for feeling that way just seems simply not to have understood what it is to belong somewhere.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending