The Student Room Group

23 year old moves in to a branch of Comet after they refuse to refund a computer

Mr. Harrison Fletcher 23, has commandeered a Leicester branch of national electronics retailer Comet. The Man purchased a £1500 computer which he then dropped when he tripped on the shops welcome mat, he demanded his money back after claiming that it was the shops fault he dropped the computer and that the packaging was substandard, as it allowed the computer to break.

Manager of the shop Ms. Angela Jenkins has said "We will not be bullied out of our money, hundreds of people manage not to trip on our welcome mat every day, we could call the police but that would be conceding defeat" She went on to say "He keeps badmouthing us to customers and heckling our staff but very few people have decided to buy what they need somewhere else, certainly not £1500 worth". Mr. Fletcher has declined to comment

What do you think, is he right to want a refund?
Even if he is should he concede defeat?
Is the manager handling things well?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol'd when I read the title.

'Where there's blame, there's a claim.' - just another example of the laughable culture we seemed to have adopted from the yanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
[QUOTE=Trolper;29112670

What do you think, is he right to want a refund?
Even if he is should he concede defeat?
Is the manager handling things well?

Why do you care?
Reply 3
Original post by Sakujo
Why do you care?

Well I don't really, I'm just bored and thought I'd make a thread
Reply 4
....it's someone off here, isn't it? :facepalm2:
Reply 5
I think he's a legend. I don't think he's going about it the right way, but good on 'im.
Original post by Mm_Minty

Original post by Mm_Minty
....it's someone off here, isn't it? :facepalm2:

Probably lol.

Imo, he shouldn't be refunded. He should have been more careful with it. After all it was worth £1500.

Prick.
Reply 7
He tripped it's his fault and isn't entitled to a refund. If he had insurance he could have claimed on that or he could sue the store on health and safety grounds, but he is not entitled to a refund. He sounds like a ****ing retard.
Reply 8
If he tripped on the welcome mat, he was most likely exiting through the entrance - a crime in itself.
Reply 9
To be honest, Comet are the worst company I have ever encountered in terms of needing a refund. The manager of this store sounds just as bad, it's a case of fighting tooth and nail to get the sales coming in then not giving a stuff when things go wrong. Appaling customer service, and the reason I have boycotted them myself and advised countless friends and family to do the same.
Reply 10
Lol, if I lived near there I would go say hi to him.
Reply 11
If no one had previously slipped on the mat then it was probably his fault for tripping. He should have been more careful if he was carrying something that valuable. Though as he tripped in-store it would have been kind of Comet to offer to repair it for free in good will. I doubt a repair bill of a hundred pounds or so would have been much to Comet.
Reply 12
I got a laptop off comet.

When I took it home I discovered it had a 32bit version of windows on a 64bit machine.

Was that really necessary?

He must be costing them a lot more then the price to refund his PC (in bad press). He should keep it up.
H&S grounds may help him?

He must have fallen on it as he fell to have broken it. I have an old ratty Toshiba which has had a huge cup of steaming coffee spill into the fan mechanism, water damage from water spilling into the screen, I've dropped it numerous times & its fallen off the bed, and I've actually sat on it. With my huge arse. Still resilient (however slow) after 4 years use.

He must have been huge or he is just asking for a refund for a small crack or something. I'd be pissed off too if it happened to me but he's handling it the wrong way and should be protected under warranty anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
I would welcome anyone to make this protest if it was actually deserved - but tripping that is all his fault and he is making himself look like an absolute idiot!
What a legend. How long has he been there?
Reply 16
Source?
Reply 17
Original post by Riso
If no one had previously slipped on the mat then it was probably his fault for tripping. He should have been more careful if he was carrying something that valuable. Though as he tripped in-store it would have been kind of Comet to offer to repair it for free in good will. I doubt a repair bill of a hundred pounds or so would have been much to Comet.

It will set a bad precedent for them though.
Top bloke. I cant believe they haven't refunded him tbh.
Reply 19
OP, I think you should leave the branch of Comet now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending