The Student Room Group

I want to burn the Qur'an, but the law says I can't. Agree/disagree?

The Qur'an is a sexist, homophobic, violent and hateful publication. They're not my opinions, they're simply facts. Such instances are stated explicitly in it. Thus, I would happily burn it in the same way I would happily burn a BNP manifesto. In principle there is absolutely no difference. The problem is though that because Islam is a *religion*, it seems to demand an exaggerated level of respect from society. People are scared to criticise it in fear of being labelled "racist". So much so that in the UK, Qur'an burning is in fact illegal as it constitutes "incitement of racial hatred", which is a criminal offence. Do you agree or disagree with the law?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What does burning it prove exactly?
Attention seeking more than anything.
Reply 2
I think the protocol is actually to bury religious texts.

The Hanafis are of the view that if a copy of the Quran becomes worn or damaged such that it can no longer be read from, it is placed in a clean cloth and buried in a placed which will not be disturbed or walked over. Just as a Muslim when he dies is buried out of honour for him. The Hanafis said that soil should not be piled over it except when a roof structure is placed over the copy of the Quran, so that the soild does not reach it.

They also said that it is prohibited to burn it with fire, this is reported from Ibrahim al-Nakhai, and was also the view of Qadi al-Hussain from the Shafis, whilst Imam al-Nawawi said it was disliked.

See Fatawa al-Hindiyyah (5/322) and Hashiyah Ibn Abidin (1/119)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by benzene

Original post by benzene
The Qur'an is a sexist, homophobic, violent and hateful publication. They're not my opinions, they're simply facts. Such instances are stated explicitly in it. Thus, I would happily burn it in the same way I would happily burn a BNP manifesto. In principle there is absolutely no difference. The problem is though that because Islam is a *religion*, it seems to demand an exaggerated level of respect from society. People are scared to criticise it in fear of being labelled "racist". So much so that in the UK, Qur'an burning is in fact illegal as it constitutes "incitement of racial hatred", which is a criminal offence. Do you agree or disagree with the law?

Tbf lots of people do things against the law. :dontknow:
Its not illegal to burn it.

Its illegal to burn it in such a way that would wind people up.
Completely agree with OP.
Reply 6
Is it illegal to burn a poppy?
Reply 7
Really, it's illegal, since when?
Honestly that's ridiculous. I'm not Islamophobic, I think both burning the Qu'ran and burning poppies should both be legal regardless of whether or not it hurts someone's feelings. We don't make adultery illegal, personal insults, etc. so why is it okay to make insults to your beliefs illegal(i.e Holocaustal denial, expression[in a fairly safe manner] of objection to belief, etc.).
Sorry for poorly worded PM, trying to have an MSN convo at the same time.
EMZ=]
EDIT: ****ers neg me but never refute me. Sorry but it pisses me off, people will laugh at my views, say I don't understand, but NEVER will they refute them ffs. Grow a pair already.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
I Want to Burn the poppy how does that make you feel? hypocrites buring the muslim Quran then when Some Muslims retaliate and quite rightly by Buring the poppy you get all sissy about it,
I think you guys are missing benzene's point. I personally am Christian, but I see no reason for burning the Qu'ran. However, the question is does one have the right to do so? Being from the United States, I do have this right. We call it symbolic speech. Following John Locke and others, one could argue that freedom of speech is a natural right, and a true democratic society must retain this right at all costs to truly remain so. So I feel that we should have this right, though I see no reason or accomplishment in this action and would not perform it myself. Not to mention I am partial to the sanctity of literature itself.
You're not inciting any hatred if only you are present and you keep it to yourself.

Solution: Burn it alone and don't make a fuss about it?
Reply 11
Original post by benzene

You havent read the actual Quran have you its amzing you need to get ur facts straight dude.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
your an idiot if you want to burn the quaran then you can also burn the bible and torah etc

stfu with picking on just islam. The religion itself is fine.

Its just the extreme muslims...no wait almost feel into that trap, corrupt politicians who start wars over oil and launch propoganda campaigns
Reply 13
So is the Bible.

Burn it if it's covered in poison and touching it would kill you.
Don't burn it because you disagree with it.
i got it , you do not agree with Quran , fair enough

but what will achieve by burning ....

i dont agree with torah and bible but i dont go burning them because i have respect for other religion
Reply 15
No one burns a Qu'ran or a poppy unless it is in order to incite anger. Everyone needs to grow up. An eye for an eye makes us all blind etc.

Fanatacism on both sides is ridiculous and disgraceful.
Reply 16
Original post by benzene

Really? I don't believe the millions and millions of Muslims including myself, as well as Christians, Jews and people of any other faith (or not even religious at all) would agree with you that they're facts, but actually just your opinions. Have you even read it?

You would burn a BNP manifesto? To me, it sounds as if you would be supporting them.

I accept that you have your opinions, which is what they are, but posting things like this is only going to cause anger, and no good will come of it.
No one has a right not to be offended. If someone burnt the British flag I'd be pissed off but clearly I have no right that others do not burn their own property.
Reply 18

What I find more disappointing than the clear ignorance and stupidity displayed by the OP is the fact people are giving him positive rep for it.
Reply 19
There's no law against book burning. Burn all the Qurans you want, as long as you don't do it in public then you're not inciting racial hatred. Waste of money and trees if you ask me though.

Latest

Trending

Trending