The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Terrible session. Not sure if it's because i cycled in but i normaly cycle in and am fine. Anyway, it was terrible...

Weigh in 74kg
Expected

Bench
Going for 70*3*5
20*5
40*4
70*3, wtf, had no strength and no one around to help so i racked it after 3
65*3, feeling terrible
60*3, felt as hard as 70 did, annoyed...

Squats
20*5
60*4
80*1
107.5*4
Failed the 5th rep, 4th was difficult and i should have racked it but was vidding so had to go for all 5.
100*1, felt difficult.

Deadlifts
40*4
80*3
145*5(5RM PB)
Felt terrible, i knew from the first lift that my form was off but i just carried on because i was pissed off at bad bench/squat and wanted to hit this.5th rep was hitched as well.

Strict Press

40*5

Curlz 12kg*6

Got annoyed and left at this point
Reply 581
Sorry dude, couldn't look at your deadlift for more than one rep as the rounded back was scaring me :p: Try keeping your ass as low as possible?

On your squats it's awesome that you go to depth now! Have you tried thinking about really pushing your hips through on the way up? It looks like you could use a bit more power and explosiveness to me.
Reply 582
Original post by Becca
Sorry dude, couldn't look at your deadlift for more than one rep as the rounded back was scaring me :p: Try keeping your ass as low as possible?

On your squats it's awesome that you go to depth now! Have you tried thinking about really pushing your hips through on the way up? It looks like you could use a bit more power and explosiveness to me.

when you say 'push your hips through' do you just mean shove your ass up?
Reply 583
Original post by Gallium
when you say 'push your hips through' do you just mean shove your ass up?

Not up, more like forwards. It's really hard to explain in words. You should contract your glutes and it will happen by itself. Your hips will just shoot through as you come up!
i agree with becca about pushing the hips forward thing.

Also those deadlifts were scary. almost in a decent position to start with then straight into rounded back when you start lifting
Reply 585
Original post by Becca

Tbh, that's nothing like my normal deadlift form but i wanted to just go for it and get these as i was very annoyed at this point.

Thanks. That's why i started the weights so low when i started lifting last month as i wanted to hit proper depth everytime.

Original post by Becca
Not up, more like forwards. It's really hard to explain in words. You should contract your glutes and it will happen by itself. Your hips will just shoot through as you come up!

I shall try this next time. Will drop down to 102.5 or 100 and smash out 3*5 as i haven't hit 3*5 in a few workouts. 5RM are more fun though...

Original post by Monkey_Pete
i agree with becca about pushing the hips forward thing.

Also those deadlifts were scary. almost in a decent position to start with then straight into rounded back when you start lifting

Yea, the weight was slightly too heavy but i just stupidly carried on. I'll drop the weight back a bit next time to like 130 or something and go for max reps(like 8) and film that with better form.
Reply 586
Always go for form over weight, especially in something like deadlift when you're lifting big weights. You could so easily do yourself in and then not be able to lift at all...
Reply 587
weird or what, no matter what i do i can't get my back to round, it's like i'm in constant arch or something
Original post by Gallium
weird or what, no matter what i do i can't get my back to round, it's like i'm in constant arch or something

Why do you want your back to round?
Reply 589
Original post by Becca
Always go for form over weight, especially in something like deadlift when you're lifting big weights. You could so easily do yourself in and then not be able to lift at all...

I normally do but i was pissed off after being bad at bench/squat. Gonna just take a few workouts of hitting some 3*5s then go for 5RM next week or something...

Original post by Gallium

What?
Original post by Smack
Why do you want your back to round?

What Smack said.

Mine rounded because the weight was too heavy and i was angry so just lifted it anyway.

Plan for next time is slam in 3*5 at 70 bench then 102.5 squat then go for max reps 130kg deads and vid it to make sure my form is better...

Also, when did my blog views get over 20k?:eek:
That's a crazy amount...
Reply 590
i was just saying my back seems to be in like a permanent arch :wink:

i also tried 140 and only got 2 reps got 4 reps last week :/, i think squatting and deadlifting on the same days takes it out of me>

btw wer to the safety bars come up to for you, just below the wasit?...... squat rack at my gym has fixed safetys it comes below my waist around the pocket area......i don't think i can squat proper atg with it.
Reply 591
Original post by Gallium
i was just saying my back seems to be in like a permanent arch :wink:

i also tried 140 and only got 2 reps got 4 reps last week :/, i think squatting and deadlifting on the same days takes it out of me>

btw wer to the safety bars come up to for you, just below the wasit?...... squat rack at my gym has fixed safetys it comes below my waist around the pocket area......i don't think i can squat proper atg with it.

I always squat and deadlift on the same day.

Urm, a bit lower than that for me.. They used to be at that height then i moved them down a few inches as i was hitting them when going ATG.

If anything mine are a tiny bit too low atm but it's better then being too high and hitting them all the time.
Reply 592
Leave your ego at the door and back it down a little on the deadlifts son. No one should be rounding their back on this sort of baby weight.
Reply 593
Original post by Jasmine94
Leave your ego at the door and back it down a little on the deadlifts son. No one should be rounding their back on this sort of baby weight.

If you read my last few posts properly you'll see i am planning on backing the weights down 15kg next session to a weight lower than stuff i've done with good form before.

And Sorry SS, what are you deadlifting now? Got to be like 4 plates+ right?
Reply 594
Original post by MHorman
If you read my last few posts properly you'll see i am planning on backing the weights down 15kg next session to a weight lower than stuff i've done with good form before.

And Sorry SS, what are you deadlifting now? Got to be like 4 plates+ right?

That's not SummerSofas, but SummerSofas can deadlift 205kg x 4 now.
Reply 595
WEigh in 74.5kg

Scales was already set to my exact weight and i just stood on and it was perfect. Weird.

Strict Press
20*5
40*3
45*3
Those 3 were hard so swapped to push press.
50*3
55*3,3,3

Not bad, was doing like 75*1 and 60+ for triples in summer but haven't done them in a while.

Squat
20*5
60*5
80*2
102.5*5,5,5

A nice 3*5 sorted. Very difficult last few reps on last 2 sets but i managed.
Highest 3*5 to proper depth. Beats my 100 from last week.

Deadlifts
40*5
80*2
130*5
Dropping the weight to sort out form issues and they were still terrible
80*3 Form was weird on these as well, dunno, may go very light next deadlift session or have a few sessions off deadlifting. Back wasn't 100% recovered from the beating it took on wednesday. It doesn't hurt it just felt tired still...

Original post by u4m1r
That's not SummerSofas, but SummerSofas can deadlift 205kg x 4 now.

He IS the beast of the gym. What are all his lifts now then? He's got to be squatting a decent number now as well right? He's the Jason on youtube right that's squatting like 170? Or is that wrong...
Reply 596
^^ I think that is redhotbutter?
Original post by MHorman
WEigh in 74.5kg

Scales was already set to my exact weight and i just stood on and it was perfect. Weird.

Strict Press
20*5
40*3
45*3
Those 3 were hard so swapped to push press.
50*3
55*3,3,3

Not bad, was doing like 75*1 and 60+ for triples in summer but haven't done them in a while.

Squat
20*5
60*5
80*2
102.5*5,5,5

A nice 3*5 sorted. Very difficult last few reps on last 2 sets but i managed.
Highest 3*5 to proper depth. Beats my 100 from last week.

Deadlifts
40*5
80*2
130*5
Dropping the weight to sort out form issues and they were still terrible
80*3 Form was weird on these as well, dunno, may go very light next deadlift session or have a few sessions off deadlifting. Back wasn't 100% recovered from the beating it took on wednesday. It doesn't hurt it just felt tired still...

He IS the beast of the gym. What are all his lifts now then? He's got to be squatting a decent number now as well right? He's the Jason on youtube right that's squatting like 170? Or is that wrong...

Jason is not SS, RHB is.
Reply 598
Original post by GQ.
^^ I think that is redhotbutter?

Original post by ibysaiyan
Jason is not SS, RHB is.

My bad.:colondollar:

Luckily i don't think RHB reads my blog so shall never know... :ninja:

Gym monday morning and will be going for 70 bench then 105 squats for 3*5, then will work up deadlifts from a low weight keeping form very strict.

Also, after waiting friday to go to the gym after my lecture at 4pm i find out that the nice room is open UNTIL 4pm, not from 4pm.:colone:
But i'm in my 1 lecture of the afternoon for the time it's open...
Reply 599
Original post by MHorman
WEigh in 74.5kg

Nah this is him,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7rTVgiiWVA

Quick Reply

Latest