The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
Thought of the day; Local ish strongman contest in 6 weeks time, U75kg category.

http://bigger-stronger-faster-sussex-strongman.eventbrite.co.uk/?ebtv=C

Considering trying to enter for a laugh and coming last

LogC&P 60kg
Farmers Walks 60kg(per hand)
Deadlift: VW polo
Truck Pull
2 secret events...

Hmmmm....

details

go for it

weight wise you can do the clean+press (especially if you can push press it, which you normally can with strongman), only issue there is the log aspect

that farmers walk sounds easy for you

the deadlift depends on the weight you are lifting, but probably can manage atleast 1

truckpull sounds good, large legs help you there

secret events might screw you over, but looking pretty good for they ones they have shown
That sounds super fun! I'd definitely enter if I had the chance, those events sounds really good and I'm at the almost perfect weight for the under 75kg female category.
Plus it's strongman so technique will not be that strict (i.e. can pushpress and hitch deadlifts)

ENTER!
the only problems i see you having issues with is log clean and press. cleaning a log is completely different technique to a barbell(my mate who i train with can log clean 80-90kg but his ohp is 10kg less then mine)

i reckon you'd get at least 5 reps with it, if you can have a chance to practice with a real log prior, then thats great if not just go for it on the day.
Original post by Monkey_Pete
go for it

weight wise you can do the clean+press (especially if you can push press it, which you normally can with strongman), only issue there is the log aspect

that farmers walk sounds easy for you

the deadlift depends on the weight you are lifting, but probably can manage atleast 1

truckpull sounds good, large legs help you there

secret events might screw you over, but looking pretty good for they ones they have shown

Seriously considering it atm. May see if a local gym has a log i can go practise with once to see what it's like though...

Will be farmers walking with the 50s DBs in practise but apparently proper farmers walks are a lot easier than picking up DBs of equivelent weight.

Think he said if you can deadlift 140+ you'll manage the car due to leverage and it'll probs be a trap bar type grip so i can practise that at 160+.

For the truckpull we hae a sled at our gym and someone i know is entering a different strongman comp in aug/sep time and he's doing sledpulls as poractise so will be joining in with that.

Secret events will probably be loading medleys or something so could kill me but nvm...

Original post by Becca
That sounds super fun! I'd definitely enter if I had the chance, those events sounds really good and I'm at the almost perfect weight for the under 75kg female category.
Plus it's strongman so technique will not be that strict (i.e. can pushpress and hitch deadlifts)

ENTER!

Yea, sounds like fun and glad there's a U75 category, i looked a while back for comp with this category and no one seemed to have it...

Original post by Gallium
the only problems i see you having issues with is log clean and press. cleaning a log is completely different technique to a barbell(my mate who i train with can log clean 80-90kg but his ohp is 10kg less then mine)

i reckon you'd get at least 5 reps with it, if you can have a chance to practice with a real log prior, then thats great if not just go for it on the day.

True, will check with the big gyms in Brighton if they have a log and if so will go in and have a go.
Reply 1184
Seriously considering it atm. May see if a local gym has a log i can go practise with once to see what it's like though...

Will be farmers walking with the 50s DBs in practise but apparently proper farmers walks are a lot easier than picking up DBs of equivelent weight.

Think he said if you can deadlift 140+ you'll manage the car due to leverage and it'll probs be a trap bar type grip so i can practise that at 160+.

For the truckpull we hae a sled at our gym and someone i know is entering a different strongman comp in aug/sep time and he's doing sledpulls as poractise so will be joining in with that.

Secret events will probably be loading medleys or something so could kill me but nvm...

Yea, sounds like fun and glad there's a U75 category, i looked a while back for comp with this category and no one seemed to have it...

True, will check with the big gyms in Brighton if they have a log and if so will go in and have a go.

Cheetah's?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by GQ.
Cheetah's?

Just emailed them to ask if they have one.
Thanks for the idea.
Original post by GQ.
Cheetah's?

Got a reply to my email.
Cheetahs do have a log bar.:biggrin:

May head down in like 2 weeks time and give it a go at 60kg to practise for the comp.(If i enter)
I will be seriously disappointed if you don't enter, btw. What reasons do you have for not entering :hmmm:
Original post by Becca
I will be seriously disappointed if you don't enter, btw. What reasons do you have for not entering :hmmm:

Urm, only thing i can think of is it's a sunday and i work seasonally over summer at ASDA and i handed in my "when i can work" form last week. Will have to go back and ask if i can have that sunday off as well. Whcih they wont like as they're very busy sundays...

Also, not sure how easy it is to get to the place from Brighton. Will have to investigate trains/Buses...
Urm, only thing i can think of is it's a sunday and i work seasonally over summer at ASDA and i handed in my "when i can work" form last week. Will have to go back and ask if i can have that sunday off as well. Whcih they wont like as they're very busy sundays...

Also, not sure how easy it is to get to the place from Brighton. Will have to investigate trains/Buses...

if only you had a motorbike you could ride to the event on, that would be so much easier, and more fun...

:colone:
Original post by Monkey_Pete
if only you had a motorbike you could ride to the event on, that would be so much easier, and more fun...

:colone:

YEa, that's exactly what i want after a long day of destroying my body with very heavy weights. A nice ride on a motorbike to kill me even more on the ride home...
YEa, that's exactly what i want after a long day of destroying my body with very heavy weights. A nice ride on a motorbike to kill me even more on the ride home...

probably easier than walking to nearest bus station
Exams, no Gym

Did get bored in the last hour and investigated handstand push ups. First time i struggled holding the balance as i felt really heavy.

After a few handstands with feet hitting wall occasionally i actually managed to get a few out before falling controlled-ish to the bed...

First few were tiny ROM, next few were a bit better. Something to try just for fun i reckon when i dont have access to the gym. Need to work on freestanding balance for these then crack them out and look awesome...
Weigh in 70.9,
Standard

Aim for max reps 60kgc&p , similar to strongman event.

Press, 20*7,
c&p
40*3,
50*2,
60*7, first 2 strict press. Dead atm... Worst part was lockout of 6 and 7 could have cleaned a few more...

Fronties
20*7, 40*3, 60*3, 80*2,
95*2,2
bail tough

sled drags on astro.
Sled+50kg*2 widths, *2w, *2w ran parts of first and 5th. Killer. Very dead...

Effort carrying sled from gym to astro then same with the 2 big 25kg plates as well.
Bench
bar*9,
40*5,50*5, 60*5, 70*5,
87.5*2, worlds worst spotter, touched it second rep, I asked him to let go and he racked it. Ffs. Didn't speak English well but only other person in gym...
87.5*2(no spotter) Ffs, Nvm...

Squats
20*7, 40*5,60*5, 80*2, 100*1, back twanged, feelsweirdman.
Decided to play it safe and stop...

Dumbbell c&p for lulz.
14*3, 20*1,28*1,
34*f balance, 34*1,
38*f, close, 38*f ,

Chins*11

**** day is ****.

Felt terrible before but had to go to uni anyway so thought I should at least try...
If you are doing the strongman comp (which I would recommend purely for the buzz from competing) then I would certainly make a roadtrip to get a practise session in with a strongman log.

A log bar is no good, the log clean will need to be learnt, I'd watch plenty of videos if I were you.
Original post by SpringSettees
If you are doing the strongman comp (which I would recommend purely for the buzz from competing) then I would certainly make a roadtrip to get a practise session in with a strongman log.

A log bar is no good, the log clean will need to be learnt, I'd watch plenty of videos if I were you.

I will be making a trio into Brighton to go to the nice gym with log and farmers walks stuff in like 2 weeks. Am on holiday for a week atm...

Good idea.
Reply 1197
Hello powerlifting people, i'm pretty new to the world of powerlifting and have only been doing it 6 weeks.......previous to that i had never even touched a weight.

I'm currently training in solihull 4 times a week, but i'm going back to uni in September and was wondering if anyone else trains in Nottingham?

Current stats:
weight- 83kg
height- 5'9"
bench- 50kg
squat- 90kg
dead- 105kg

This thread is amazing, i've started working my way through it but god it is loooooooooong!
^ Lolwut?
WEigh in 72.2kg
"Heavy" again... :tongue:

Front squats
20*7
50*3
70*2
92.5*3,3,3(3*3 PB)

Very tough but couldn't let HFerguson catch me...

DB OHP as my bro did it the other day.
12*3
14*3
16*3
18*3
20*3
22*3 At this point i realise that although my bro got up to 22.5 or something he was doing his seperately.
24*3/0 , Fail left arm on it's own, Nvm
20*5
14*10
Arms dead, hard to get DBs into position to press and hard to stabilise overhead.

Bench
45*5
55*5
65*5
75*5
87.5*2, :colonhash:
67.5*6

Arms were dead already and had no chance so racked it after 2...

Chins*9

Db Curls 8kg*load, 8kg*load

MEH, Did fairly random stuff. Need to get some type of plan organised for rest of summer but it can't be as bad as last summers 3 months of no gym and travelling/backpacking etc...

Original post by EF22
Hello powerlifting people, i'm pretty new to the world of powerlifting and have only been doing it 6 weeks.......previous to that i had never even touched a weight.

I'm currently training in solihull 4 times a week, but i'm going back to uni in September and was wondering if anyone else trains in Nottingham?

Current stats:
weight- 83kg
height- 5'9"
bench- 50kg
squat- 90kg
dead- 105kg

This thread is amazing, i've started working my way through it but god it is loooooooooong!

What the...

You don't want this thread, you want one of the Muscle building socs, There's a male and female version at the top of the fitness blog area...

Quick Reply

Latest