80*2
87.5*5,5,5

:woo: 3*5 PB. :biggrin:

Above my brothers 1RM as well... :teehee:

Incline
20*10
40*6
62.5*10,9,5

I always find i can push these hard first set and sometimes second but am dead come the third...

Chins
+15kg*5,5,5 (3*5 PB), 4.9(Accidentally pushed myself with my toes)
bw*7

Face pulls
16.25*10,10,10,10,10
Felt like a good weight but i do these as a TUT and to get a nice stretch going etc...

Nice to see someone else is competitive with their brother as well :tongue:
Original post by silent ninja
Well done on clearing 87.5kg! I guess your target of 3x5 90kg by Christmas is there for the taking.

I should easily get that. Not looking good for 100*5 by end of the year which was my target originally though...

Original post by areebmazhar
Nice to see someone else is competitive with their brother as well :tongue:

He started training same time as me. Is 3 years older and about 15kg heavier yet i lift more currently...

His squat/dead is best overall but my upperbody stuff kicks ass...
Weigh in 74.3 kg...

Standard

Press
20*10
30*5
40*4
50*3
60*1
67.5*1(1RM) 6.8kg off bodyweight... Getting closer...
60*4f, failed 5RM again, will go for this fresh next weds maybe, or sets of 3 at 62.5
55*5,5,5 Too knackered to try for 5*5 today...
50*8f

Used this hamstrong machine, i think a reverse Hamstring hyper or something?

Front Squats
20*10
40*6
60*5
70*5,7

Focused on explosiveness off the bottom, they felt good, Back is feeling a bit better lately, eg i can bend down to tie my shoes etc without it hurting...

My hip abductor felt weird, think not enough warm up then very explosive work sets caused it, dunno.

Hip Abduction machines
for like 15 sets, all slow focusing on TUT etc, made it feel better...

Chin Ups

+20kg*5,5,3
+10*7

Weighted chins have now officially caught and overtaken weighted pullups. They should be easier i'd just never done them until recently...
Reply 1383
yeah supinating your grip to chin ups should add a good 5-10kg

i dont do chins anymore because i'm worried about tearing a bicep under the weight lol, so just try to progress with neutral grip chins and pullups now
Original post by Adidas90

i dont do chins anymore because i'm worried about tearing a bicep under the weight lol, so just try to progress with neutral grip chins and pullups now

I do the chins close grip that's almost supinated but it's at a slight angle...Halfway between neutral grip and supinated maybe...

You can tear a bicep doing chins? Instantly worried now...

Really? That can happen?

My biceps don't get hit that much on chins anymore. It's mainly lats. They used to fatigue, but now sometimes they don't even get pumped from chins...which is good I guess. The grip width matters I think. I tend to keep the hands a bit narrower than shoulder width, not right next to each other like I used to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1386
Really? That can happen?

My biceps don't get hit that much on chins anymore. It's mainly lats. They used to fatigue, but now sometimes they don't even get pumped from chins...which is good I guess. The grip width matters I think. I tend to keep the hands a bit narrower than shoulder width, not right next to each other like I used to.

You can **** your shoulders up on chins/pulls to. For me, it isn't so much the actual movement itself but being a short arse - I generally have to either jump up to a bar or get on my tip toes etc. and if I'm not careful I can slip or miss etc. Hurt my shoulder twice already doing this.
Original post by Mark85
You can **** your shoulders up on chins/pulls to. For me, it isn't so much the actual movement itself but being a short arse - I generally have to either jump up to a bar or get on my tip toes etc. and if I'm not careful I can slip or miss etc. Hurt my shoulder twice already doing this.

i have this problem, i used to do pull ups on the cable machine thing and would need a big step and had to jump off that to get to it.

Now i use the assisted machine as the bars are lower. This way on tip toes i can just grab on to the bars and then get a nice full ROM just missing the ground with my feet between reps...
Reply 1388
Original post by Motorbiker

Now i use the assisted machine as the bars are lower. This way on tip toes i can just grab on to the bars and then get a nice full ROM just missing the ground with my feet between reps...

Same in my gym. Or at least I try to use that but if it is busy - there is a pull up station near it so I just think '**** it' and use that.
Original post by Mark85
Same in my gym. Or at least I try to use that but if it is busy - there is a pull up station near it so I just think '**** it' and use that.

I find unweighted sets aren't too bad. But trying to jump up with a 20kg plate hanging down around you is very awkward...
Reply 1390
I find unweighted sets aren't too bad. But trying to jump up with a 20kg plate hanging down around you is very awkward...

Even 10kg... I learnt the hard way to be more careful after I smashed myself in the nuts with it.
Reply 1391
I dont know if anyone ever has torn anything doing supinated chins with weight and it didnt used to bother me but I think now if I went to chins again I could probs do close to 50kg for reps, i just feel that's alot of weight plus BW for my spindly biceps to take from a dead hang

i still do chins but only for high rep stuff with lighter weight added, and go heavy with the neutral grips

re: jumping up no chin up bar has ever been reachable for me thats why i always step on something to get up there. **** jumping
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mark85
Even 10kg... I learnt the hard way to be more careful after I smashed myself in the nuts with it.

Haha that hurts reading it.

Cant you use a step then do your reps with bent knees or legs raised. It's hassle but yeah jumping up can be hit and miss for your shoulders.
i still do chins but only for high rep stuff with lighter weight added, and go heavy with the neutral grips

re: jumping up no chin up bar has ever been reachable for me thats why i always step on something to get up there. **** jumping

I can't do high rep chins. It can go up to 5 reps with +20kg but cant get beyond 10ish on bodyweight... What is the heaviest you've gone for neutral grip and is there much difference on forces on the arm muscles with the different grip?

Yea but i'm such a shortass(5'7) that even with the step i had to jump off that, unless i found the one extra tall folding out step my gym has...

Cant you use a step then do your reps with bent knees or legs raised. It's hassle but yeah jumping up can be hit and miss for your shoulders.

I have got it now with the assisted one that i can get a good grip from tip toes to start and then slight leg bend during the lifts to stop me touching the floor again. Works well...
I have got it now with the assisted one that i can get a good grip from tip toes to start and then slight leg bend during the lifts to stop me touching the floor again. Works well...

Never used the assisted machine, is there much carry over to actual chinups/pullups? There are too many good back exercises to get busy with.
Never used the assisted machine, is there much carry over to actual chinups/pullups? There are too many good back exercises to get busy with.

I don't use the assistance bro. I just use the machine and you can fold down the assistance thing you lean on.

It's just these bars are a good foot lower than the ones designed for giants at the top of the squat rack or at the top of the cable row things...
Reply 1396
I can't do high rep chins. It can go up to 5 reps with +20kg but cant get beyond 10ish on bodyweight... What is the heaviest you've gone for neutral grip and is there much difference on forces on the arm muscles with the different grip?

Yea but i'm such a shortass(5'7) that even with the step i had to jump off that, unless i found the one extra tall folding out step my gym has...

40x5 on neutral grip probs put 10kg on that by going to chins and i don't know much about forces but supinating shortens the tendon. I just see going real heavy on chins as having a risk of tear the same as on tyre flip. It might not happen, but it does happen to some people
40x5 on neutral grip probs put 10kg on that by going to chins and i don't know much about forces but supinating shortens the tendon. I just see going real heavy on chins as having a risk of tear the same as on tyre flip. It might not happen, but it does happen to some people

Yup, same deal with the supinated grip Yates row and to a lesser extend a mixed grip deadlift (if your arms are bent.)
16/11

Weigh in 75.0

Bench:
bar*10,
40*5,
60*4,
70*2,2,
80*1,1,1,
95*3,2,2,1f (3RM)

Wanted to hit the 9 reps but hit the bench on first rep of last set. Nvm...

Stil happy with 95*3, until a few weeks ago i'd only hit 92.5*1...

Incline:
20*10,
40*5,
62.5*9f,
60*7,
50*10,

Blame being more fatigued this week and dehydration from epic salt content of bacon weds..

.Drank like 1.5 litres at this point

Weighted chins:
+25*4,
+20*4,
+15*4,
+10*4,
+5*5,
bw*8

Wanted 5 at 25, failed then decided to pyramid down the weight for fun.

Face pulls

16.25*10,10,15
All TUT etc.

Supersetted face pulls with spotting a guy close grip benching 140*5 then singles at 160 then 170. Strong stuff...

Hmmm, interesting. May go for a neutral grip in future.

Original post by The Blind Monk
Yup, same deal with the supinated grip Yates row and to a lesser extend a mixed grip deadlift (if your arms are bent.)

Who deadlifts with bent arms?
Who deadlifts with bent arms?

It is only a very slight bend in the supinated hand. It just happens occasionally when some people are doing deadlifts with a mixed grip. This is how people tear their biceps while deadlifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq82nYPUeo
Like this guy. He's not an idiot. It just happens occasionally.

Quick Reply

Latest