The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Weigh in 77.0
Standard

Squats
bw*10, 20*5, 60*5, 80*4, 100*3,
120*5,(5kg off old pb, pre injury) tough.

BOOM, video. What i say at the end is "there WILL be grunts", Refering to Dom MAzzetti's latest video...

HARRISON, my BS form as bad as my FS form or no?

Bench
20*8, 40*5, 60*5, 75*3,
90*5, **** yea, easy, lightweight! Equal PB!

This flew up, I was getting my breathing right whilst staying tight which is what i always struggle with and why i fail at anything over like a double on bench...

FG chins

+10kg*4( wanted 5), 3, 3, 5( lmao, adjusted grip slightly on fat grips and held weight between knees, ****ing easy ****), 3,
bw*6,

Normal chins*10,( 1 off my fresh pb, lol )

face pulls *lots, tut etc...
Planks bw, ss'd with face pulls.

Good workout. Got my 3 main aims, 120/90/+10 FG chins. All for 5 reps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Motorbiker
Weigh in 77.0
Standard

Squats
bw*10, 20*5, 60*5, 80*4, 100*3,
120*5,(5kg off old pb, pre injury) tough.

BOOM, video. What i say at the end is "there WILL be grunts", Refering to Dom MAzzetti's latest video...

HARRISON, my BS form as bad as my FS form or no?
s.

Only a few critiques this time - firstly, the angle of the video ****ing sucks. I can't tell much about your squat from that angle. I ideally need to see from behind or in front.

Onto the critique - grip too wide. Work on shoulder mob. The narrower you can get your grip, the better a shelf you create for the bar (applies to "low-bar" and "high-bar" placement - it looks like you've gone for high bar). So long as you don't impinge your shoulders, narrower is always better. Until you impingen.

You have a non-neutral cervical and thoracic posture - could be more thoracically extended, your neck is jutting forward, which sucks, and then when you ascend from the hole in your squat, you strain your neck back as hard as possible. Inb4 neck injury or slipped disc in the neck.

Surprisingly, depth is there and lumbar spine/pelvis is totally fine, actually pretty damn good. Can't tell your femur posture because it's a side view, but I'd be willing to be you're not getting enough torque off your external rotators.
Original post by HFerguson
Only a few critiques this time - firstly, the angle of the video ****ing sucks. I can't tell much about your squat from that angle. I ideally need to see from behind or in front.

Onto the critique - grip too wide. Work on shoulder mob. The narrower you can get your grip, the better a shelf you create for the bar (applies to "low-bar" and "high-bar" placement - it looks like you've gone for high bar). So long as you don't impinge your shoulders, narrower is always better. Until you impingen.

You have a non-neutral cervical and thoracic posture - could be more thoracically extended, your neck is jutting forward, which sucks, and then when you ascend from the hole in your squat, you strain your neck back as hard as possible. Inb4 neck injury or slipped disc in the neck.

Surprisingly, depth is there and lumbar spine/pelvis is totally fine, actually pretty damn good. Can't tell your femur posture because it's a side view, but I'd be willing to be you're not getting enough torque off your external rotators.

Kk, i'll work on my video angles in future bro. This is just the easiest place but next time i want a vid i'll grab a randomer and get them to vid.

Grip too wide? I actually widened it from my OLD squat grip because everyone else back squatting had a wide grip so i thought it must be better... I will go for a slightly closer grip then for that shelf effect.

Thoracialclyay extended means my chest could be higher basically, right? And the nexk stuff must be how i've grown a neck that's wider than my head...

Yea, a lot of people get the lower back bendyness when going ATG but mine is alright.

SO, basically, i want a closer grip and to keep chest up and not ram my neck backwards?
Kk, i'll work on my video angles in future bro. This is just the easiest place but next time i want a vid i'll grab a randomer and get them to vid.

Grip too wide? I actually widened it from my OLD squat grip because everyone else back squatting had a wide grip so i thought it must be better... I will go for a slightly closer grip then for that shelf effect.

Thoracialclyay extended means my chest could be higher basically, right? And the nexk stuff must be how i've grown a neck that's wider than my head...

Yea, a lot of people get the lower back bendyness when going ATG but mine is alright.

SO, basically, i want a closer grip and to keep chest up and not ram my neck backwards?

Grip as close as you can comfortably.

Keeping your "chest up" is not just about knowing that you should be doing it, it's about knowing what it feels like proprioceptively.

ideally you should "pack your neck" or learn to chin-pack. You should be doing this for all exercises to be honest. deadlifts, squats, bench, shrugs, anything. Rippetoe tried to simplify it and explain it in SS by telling people they should be looking "about 6 feet in front of them" or some such. That's not really the essence of it - it's just keeping the neck neutral and in line with the rest of the spine, so the entire spine moves as ONE UNIT, with the pivot at the HIP joint.

it looks like this

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1584
Nice tempo on the squats.
Original post by HFerguson
Grip as close as you can comfortably.

Keeping your "chest up" is not just about knowing that you should be doing it, it's about knowing what it feels like proprioceptively.

ideally you should "pack your neck" or learn to chin-pack. You should be doing this for all exercises to be honest. deadlifts, squats, bench, shrugs, anything. Rippetoe tried to simplify it and explain it in SS by telling people they should be looking "about 6 feet in front of them" or some such. That's not really the essence of it - it's just keeping the neck neutral and in line with the rest of the spine, so the entire spine moves as ONE UNIT, with the pivot at the HIP joint.

it looks like this

Ahh, Kk, Will try different width grips on my next back squat day.

And i will try that other stuff as well. Thanks bro.

Original post by Thiseas
Nice tempo on the squats.

:smile: Thanks.

Squats still 5kg off my best pre injury but getting there again.
More for my own reference as much as anything else but i've worked out the weights for my next 2 week cycle of texas method...

THIRD CYCLE

Weds
Texas Method Volume Day:
5x5 Fronties@ 87.5kg
5x5 OHP @ 55kg
1x5 Push Press @ 75kg
5x5 Trap Bar Deadlift @ 130kg

Friday
Texas Method Light Day:
2x5 Squats @ 82.5kg
3x5 Bench @ 75kg
Farmers with the Trap bar @ 95kg,

Sunday
Texas Method Intensity Day:
1x5 Front Squats @ 100
1x5 OHP @ 62.5kg
3RM Push Press @80kg +whatever
1x5 Trap Bar Deadlift @ 150kg

Weds
Texas Method Volume Day:
5x5 Squats @ 112.5kg
5x5 Bench Press @ 87.5kg (****ing get this ****)
Fat Grip Chin ups. 50 in as few sets as poss.
FS Holds @ 150kg*30 second sets

Friday
Texas Method Light Day:
2x5 Front Squats @ 67.5kg
2x5 OHP @ 50kg
5x5 push press @70kg
Farmers with the Trap bar @ 97.5/100kg, (depending on how 95 goes)

Sunday
Texas Method Intensity Day:
1x5 Squats @ 122.5kg
1x5 Bench Press @ 92.5
Fat Grip Chin ups. +10kg for up to 5*5

I really want the 87.5*5*5 Bench as i need my 5*5 Bench to be higher than my Bro's all time 1RM. I've got 87.5*5,5,5,4,3 or something back in October pre injury...

Also, will be very happy with the pressing/Front squatting as they're actual PBs now even from before my injury.
Seems like you had a really good session!
Nice squats!

Just curious, how does the texas method work?
Original post by TooEasy123
Nice squats!

This is how I take it if you are going to apply it to any given lift.
Volume Day: 5x5 (sets across)
Light Day: 2x5 (with a lot less weight)
Intensity Day: Heavy set of 5, working towards true 5RM.

Many people alternate between two movements. e.g.:
Volume Bench
Light Press
Intensity Bench
Volume Press
Light Bench
Intensity Press

Rippetoe has written up the routine for powerlifting.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_texas_method
Original post by Becca
Seems like you had a really good session!

Yea, one of those nice days where you get what you go for and feel awesome.

Also, the face pulls were so slow and made everything feel lovely.

Also, generally happy since I've seen the doctor about my eczema and got some beastly strength creams to sort it out. And It's looking almost gone atm...

Original post by TooEasy123
Nice squats!

Blind monk described it well above. I do that but I also alternate front and back Squats which most don't... And add in assistance stuff like push press and farmers walks for the strongman contest I want to do in summer...
Fronties
20*5, 40*5, 60*4,
87.5*5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (5*5 PB, felt heavy though)

Press
20*5, 30*5, 40*5,
55*5,5, 5, 5, 5

Deloaded. Felt light, powered it through.

Push press.
55*3,
75*4ff,

Fuuuuuu, if i committed to it then i could make 5 but it's tough to commit and risk snapping **** up...

HHTBD(high handled trap bar deads. )
40*5, 80*5, 100*5,
130*5, 5, 5, 5, 5+10 second hold.

Simples. Flew up
Also, booked into a sports massage for friday morning to try and see what he reckons about my back....

Hopefully awesomeness commences...
Weigh in
77.0kg, standard weight atm.

Light+strongman day

Squats
20*5, 40*5, 60*5,
82.5*5, 5

Light and very quick

Bench
20*10, 40*5, 50*5, 60*5,
75*5,5, 5

Equally quick and awesome

strongman time.

Farmers walk with trap bar

95kg*49.2( missed timer at 47. Something...), 48.6, 73.5 dead.

Was going ridiculously quick today, almost running with the bar... Then was completely dead for final run...

Also, saw physio, No definitive answer to my back but man it felt good. Was like the feeling from foam rolling + a million.
Large amount of very tight muscles at the bottom, a kink in my spine at T4, And my actual pain is at T12 or L1 but we fix everything in the half hour session.

Feels better now but still nowhere near perfect...

Oh and my muscle on the right hand side of my back is significantly bigger he says. Mixed grip causing this?
Weigh in
77.0kg, standard weight atm.

Light+strongman day

Squats
20*5, 40*5, 60*5,
82.5*5, 5

Light and very quick

Bench
20*10, 40*5, 50*5, 60*5,
75*5,5, 5

Equally quick and awesome

strongman time.

Farmers walk with trap bar

95kg*49.2( missed timer at 47. Something...), 48.6, 73.5 dead.

Was going ridiculously quick today, almost running with the bar... Then was completely dead for final run...

Also, saw physio, No definitive answer to my back but man it felt good. Was like the feeling from foam rolling + a million.
Large amount of very tight muscles at the bottom, a kink in my spine at T4, And my actual pain is at T12 or L1 but we fix everything in the half hour session.

Feels better now but still nowhere near perfect...

Oh and my muscle on the right hand side of my back is significantly bigger he says. Mixed grip causing this?

I suffer from this the down the entire right side of my body... :unimpressed:
Original post by In One Ear
I suffer from this the down the entire right side of my body... :unimpressed:

WEird, Also, everytime i am doing farmers walk outside the people playing football insist on coming over and trying to just lift up the bar(trap with 95kg weight) and they often fail, or just about manage to deadlift it.

Good way to make me feel awesome. :cool:
WEird, Also, everytime i am doing farmers walk outside the people playing football insist on coming over and trying to just lift up the bar(trap with 95kg weight) and they often fail, or just about manage to deadlift it.

Good way to make me feel awesome. :cool:

Hehe yeah well I think its sometimes easy to forgot just how much stronger you get doing weights. Don't many guys who are not naturally built/big who don't workout in some form or another can just walk up to a bar and deadlift 100kg for the first time. Would guess 80-90kg would more likely be the limit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Weigh in 77.0 Standard

Fronties
20*10, 50*5, 60*5, 80*3,
100*5, 5rm pb,

Warm ups were tough and my form was less than my usual perfection on these, a little bit of forward lean on third/fourth and then 5th was fine since i manned up.

Press( aim 65*3)
20*10, 30*5, 40*5, 50*3,
65*2f( definitely should have had 3 ffs, lost it in techniques),
65*2f( knackered from first attempt),
65*1, 1(+2 pp.)

Annoyed but strength is there.

Push press (aim 80*3)
80*f2f,

some **** walked over to the rack to grab a loose plate from under the bar just as I was going for third. ****er. ( first fail was me rushing it, and not getting head through)
80*1, head ****ed up, Nvm

High handle Trap bar deads,
40*5, 90*5, 130*2,

150*5+15ish second hold.
150*1+30 second timed hold.
The second timed hold was insanely hard, literally in my fingertips for the last few seconds. Dropped it as the countdown alarm went off, so more like 29.9 seconds+time taken to drop it...

Got the 2 5rm I wanted.
Failed the 2 3rm attempts,both for stupid reasons.
Strength was there...

Original post by In One Ear
Hehe yeah well I think its sometimes easy to forgot just how much stronger you get doing weights. Don't many guys who are not naturally built/big who don't workout in some form or another can just walk up to a bar and deadlift 100kg for the first time. Would guess 80-90kg would more likely be the limit.

Yea, Trap Bar is easier though tbh. Of the guys that tried it on friday, half of them managed to lift it and one guy even took like 2 slow steps forward. I loved how amazed they were that i was power walking as fast as i could with this bar 30 seconds earlier. I was too out of breath to appreicate it at the time...
Trap bar isn't a deadlift. It's some sort of squat/deadlift bastard child lol

The centre of mass absolutely does not resemble a deadlift where the weight is in front of you. So totally different muscles are used?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silent ninja
Trap bar isn't a deadlift. It's some sort of squat/deadlift bastard child lol

The centre of mass absolutely does not resemble a deadlift where the weight is in front of you. So totally different muscles are used?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know trap bar deadlift isn't the same as a normal deadlift.

Yes it uses slightly different muscles.

But it's better to trap bar deadlift than no deadlifts which i still can't do due to the whole back injury thing. Want to get back to deadlifitng normally again in future though.

It's nice grip training though. Especially with holds at the end.

Quick Reply

Latest