The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Idle
That's fair enough :yy: Looking good

Thanks bro, It's a popular opinion lately actually.

Never in 2 years at the gym has anyone walked up to me unprovoked and told me X bodypart looks good/big but it happened twice last night. :cool:

Who needs arm muscles when you have traps? I'm not quite Micheal XYZ standards of trap yet but getting there.
If i just take a single day between heavy and volume instead of 2 i can sneak more workouts in before a few days off then competition on 19th June.
And deciding to do back squats instead of alternating fronties due to me loving the nice back squat progression. And want to hit 140*5 beltless ATG soon since i think that would be awesome.

Squats

20*8, 60*5, 90*3,
117.5*5, 5, 5, 5, 5, (5*5 PB :cool:)
Timed breaks for fun, all 4 mins ish.

Bench
20*8, 40*5, 70*4,
85*5, (wraps)5, 5 (5th missed chest),5,4
Will redo weight next time
Meh, Basically got 23/25 reps so should get them all next time.

High Handled Trap Bar Deadlift

40*5, 90*3, 140*3,
182.5*4 (Heaviest ever pulled off the floor i think)

Was supposed to be 130/172.5 but misloaded.:colondollar:
Realised just before workset. Was going to just go for 2 instead of 5 but was easy.:biggrin:
best way to get through 5x5 is to procrastinate a lot between sets and have as much stupid idle chit chat with others as possible.
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
best way to get through 5x5 is to procrastinate a lot between sets and have as much stupid idle chit chat with others as possible.

I often do but have spent 30+ minutes I on it before. Decided to time just to get an idea of standard rest times.

Also if I have giant rests then it doesn't show I've gotten stronger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think I can do 5x5 on 85kg but I did 3x5 so we're very close. I'll try 87.5kg next week :tongue:
Next up, take on your back squat. Only 20kg in it lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
I don't think I can do 5x5 on 85kg but I did 3x5 so we're very close. I'll try 87.5kg next week :tongue:
Next up, take on your back squat. Only 20kg in it lol

My bench is poo lately. :frown:

Yea but is your Squat Atg beltless? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
My bench is poo lately. :frown:

Yea but is your Squat Atg beltless? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beltless but not ATG. I don't have heeled shoes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beltless but not ATG. I don't have heeled shoes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, I couldn't get ATG properly without my lower back rounding really badly before getting the heeled shoes tbh.
Most people need a hell of a lot of work to be able to ATG without their lower back rounding significantly. I still can't do it without shoes tbh and I have to be very careful even when I have shoes on. I am more biomechanically messed up than you though.
I can hit the bottom without rounding but my balance isn't so great. I imagine more forward lean is required but then the mechanics feel wrong. So I go a few inches below parallel and that suits me. My legs are long so it's lower than it seems, even though it's not ATG.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Blind Monk
Most people need a hell of a lot of work to be able to ATG without their lower back rounding significantly. I still can't do it without shoes tbh and I have to be very careful even when I have shoes on. I am more biomechanically messed up than you though.

I have tried without shoes and can't do it but with the shoes i find it super easy. :smile:

I can hit the bottom without rounding but my balance isn't so great. I imagine more forward lean is required but then the mechanics feel wrong. So I go a few inches below parallel and that suits me. My legs are long so it's lower than it seems, even though it's not ATG.

Tbh as long as you're at/below parallel then it's good enough. There are no rewards in life for that extra inch or two deeper.
Weigh in 79.1,

Damn, heavy, maybe overdid it on exam snacks etc. Need to cut back a bit on food.

Forgot my phone today so did random light weights for my light day.

Fronties
20*8, 40*5, 60*5, 75*3,
92.5*5,5, 5

Nice and quick with strict form.

Press
20*8, 30*5, 40*4,
52.5*5, 5

Super quick.

Push Press,

52.5*3,70*1,
87.5*1,
90*ff,

THINK 87.5*1 is a PB. not 100%. Need to drop to like 70kg in future and rep out otherwise i end up with 1 rep of worksets which is a bit silly.

piss about with farmers, trying to make some out of the small bars but no knurling in the middle meant it would be ridiculously difficult. May try in future with 2 Oly Bars but as my gym usually only has 2 straight oly bars i'd be a bastard to take both of them. May do it anyway and take the bumper plates as well as the weighted ends would be more realistic.

Gave up and just used trap bar today.

Farmers
110*2w in 57.5,
legs dead from running yesterday and 3 days ago with the gf, Hadn't done it in a month. The same time my squat has been making awesome progress... Hmmmm...

face pulls,
21*10,10, 10,10,10
Squats
bw*10, 20*8, 60*5, 80*3, 100*2, 120*1,
137.5*5, (5rm pb)
Videoed.
Was tough tbh.

Bench
20*10, 40*5, 70*4, 80*1.
92.5*5, (equal 5rm pb.)
awesome spotter,
easy reps,

Trap bar on step deads. Low handle s
40*5, 90*4, 140*3, 170*1,
200*3. (PB)

Grip surprisingly easy tbh.

Heavy day done well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Good work. 3 plate squat coming up. Not far from 2xbw now too.

How thick is the heel on your shoe btw? Do you get enough posterior chain activation with a heeled shoe? I'm thinking of getting a pair but I hear you sit back less with a heel and there's more emphasis on the quads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A Power Perfect II will have a 0.75'' heel. You should have no issues getting reasonable PC activation with a heel of that size if you know what you're doing with regards to technique and you have ok motor control.
Original post by The Blind Monk
A Power Perfect II will have a 0.75'' heel. You should have no issues getting reasonable PC activation with a heel of that size if you know what you're doing with regards to technique and you have ok motor control.

Thanks. Seems a good size. Most are 1". I wish I could try a pair first! I was watching an old Elliot video and he said he preferred a heel for all overhead movements, including OHP and overhead squat, as well as Olympic lifts. Makes sense. I occasionally go on the toes in pressing (never in squatting though, I don't find that possible if you're sitting).

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfMO2zfXszY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

LfMO2zfXszY

Phwaor. Lovely depth

Good work. 3 plate squat coming up. Not far from 2xbw now too.

How thick is the heel on your shoe btw? Do you get enough posterior chain activation with a heeled shoe?

Thanks bro. Made great squats progress over the past month or so.

Hit 140*1 like a year a ago tbh but going to hit it for five beltless Atg reps on Saturday.

Plan is to then max it out on Weds belted. Going for 150+.

Watch the video and decide for yourself. I feel it everywhere tbh. If that helps. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Awesome dude. I'll never get over your freaky music. Plenty of hip drive in your reps so I can imagine your glutes and hamstrings working hard. 140x5 would be amazing. That's a target for me by the end of this year but it's a long shot.

Which shoes do you wear btw? I think I'm gonna take the plunge cos I want to start front squatting some time this year anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awesome dude. I'll never get over your freaky music. Plenty of hip drive in your reps so I can imagine your glutes and hamstrings working hard. 140x5 would be amazing. That's a target for me by the end of this year but it's a long shot.

Which shoes do you wear btw? I think I'm gonna take the plunge cos I want to start front squatting some time this year anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Power perfect 2s.

Mine are over a year old and still awesome.

Thanks. What routine you on atm?

Texas method works very well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Weigh in 78.5kg.
Lighter than the other day but heavier than i want to be next month

Squats, (bent bar)
20*8, 5 70*3, 3, 100*2,
120*5, 5, 5, 5, 5, (5*5 pb and equalled 3*5 pb from Sept).
****ing dead.

These were tough, how i 3*5'd this in Sept with a 125 5RM i have no idea.

Bench.
20*8, 40*5, 60*5, 3,
85*5, 5, 5, 4, 3
Dead from squats tbh and didn't want to fail any so just racked them. May have made them all at a giant push but probs not.

Fat Grip deads.
Doh,
40*5. 80*2,
mixed grip,
100*1,
110*4, 4, 4, 4(just)
Remembered to alternate my hands today as well.
Got 4 sets of 3 last week so upped each set slightly. 5s next time.

Normal doh deads
115*5,5 5
forgot chalk first set. Was tough

Bar just wants to roll out of my hand

TL;DR
Good squats, meh bench, better deadlifting

Light day+ Strongman thursday so will be in for front squats/Press.

RANT
Was going to go to my department summer social BBQ but they're charging 5 freaking quid . Ridiculous. It was always like £2 or so for the last few years. It's because they spent like £150+ on alcohol. If i could turn up PWO and grab a a few burgers for like £2/3 i'd go but they're gonna be crappy smart price 10% beef, 80% ass burgers anyway so there's more money to waste on wine/crappy beer.
/RANT

Quick Reply

Latest