The Student Room Group

AQA COMP2 2011 Jan!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by AndroidLight
Hey, could you possibly elaborate on why you think 33 bits would correspond to 8GB of memory?

Edit: Seems you are right! I understand that 64 bit does correspond to petabytes of data. I was unsure of the question when doing it, with writing 32 additional bits as being lured into a trap. Sadly did not go over it. So 2^33 would give us around 8GB, though how we were meant to calculate that without a calculator I do not know. Can I still ask, how did you know to do one extra bit?

Thanks

If you add 1 extra bit to the start of a string of bits, you can double the number of potential values. So just as:

0000 - 1111 equals numbers 0 - 15

and

00000 - 11111 equals numbers 0 - 31

0000... - 1111... equals numbers 0 - 4 294 967 296

and

00000... - 11111... equals numbers 0 - 8 589 934 592

When I did the exam, I was surprised that the questions were a bit non-typical. The last one was very abstract. Quite a change from previous exams!
Reply 61
Original post by mujahid_e3
what was the two limitation of the assembler and the two advantages of the compiler over interpreter??

Assembly lang is limited over HLLs because HLLs are similar to english whilst Assembly lang is in neumonics hence if the final program has any problems, the programmer can debug the HLL coded program easier over the assembly program.
Assembly lang only has a few functions such as LOAD, ADD, STORE whilst HLL programs have a wide variety of functions.

Compiled programs execute faster on computers than interpreted programs.
Compiled programs are created in such a way that the source code of the final program is difficult to access or be modified as opposed to a program written by an interpreter.

Those are what I put.
Original post by drspa44
If you add 1 extra bit to the start of a string of bits, you can double the number of potential values. So just as:

0000 - 1111 equals numbers 0 - 15

and

00000 - 11111 equals numbers 0 - 31

0000... - 1111... equals numbers 0 - 4 294 967 296

and

00000... - 11111... equals numbers 0 - 8 589 934 592

When I did the exam, I was surprised that the questions were a bit non-typical. The last one was very abstract. Quite a change from previous exams!

Gah 2 as an exponential, of course it doubles! Wow I feel like an idiot. You sir well done.

I think the exam over all was mainly standard stuff, nothing overly difficult. The june 10 one had stuff on biometrics, which was just a pain and I'm sure many got that wrong. The last question I agree with you was I thought not very specific, so I brought it back to what was previously in exams and stuck some robot question answers in there.
Reply 63
unofficial mark scheme going to be published?
Reply 64
Not unless someone has a blank question paper they want to scan in...
Reply 65
Hope someone does post the answers............. Im sure everyone would like to know how they dont
Reply 66
Original post by mujahid_e3
Hope someone does post the answers............. Im sure everyone would like to know how they dont

Dont see the point, how you gonna remember your answers from almost a week ago? youll be thinking you got it right when you might've wrote something totally different.
Reply 67
Original post by marek35
Dont see the point, how you gonna remember your answers from almost a week ago? youll be thinking you got it right when you might've wrote something totally different.

Mayb right!! But u are bound to remember the ones that u know u definetly got wrong! lol
Reply 68
The COMP2 Exam on 13 jan 2011 - what were the total marks??
Original post by zir786
The COMP2 Exam on 13 jan 2011 - what were the total marks??

Same question from me. But maybe we can work out from our marks. What mark did you get? I got 74 points it says, an A, I'm hoping that's not out of 100 though!
Reply 70
It is out of 80.

I walked out of the exam thinking I had an A.
I had gotten A's in all the past papers which we did in exam conditions.
However AQA begged to differ and give me a C? 53/80?
I'm not convinced. Honestly...
I don't 'THINK' I did better... I KNOW I did better.
Reply 71
I got 69 which was an A. Only 2.4% were at A :redface:

My class of 15 predicted A-D there were
1 A
1 B
2 C
4 E
7 U

Must have been a hard paper.
Original post by Kya
It is out of 80.

I walked out of the exam thinking I had an A.
I had gotten A's in all the past papers which we did in exam conditions.
However AQA begged to differ and give me a C? 53/80?
I'm not convinced. Honestly...
I don't 'THINK' I did better... I KNOW I did better.

I recall your answers were very similar to mine, so judging from them I too think that would be strange to get a C. We didn't really do many a past paper, but I too came out of the exam thinking I had achieved a high mark. Maybe you can request a copy of the exam script or ask for a remark? Because 27 marks does seem a lot too lose. The only thing I can really think about that could've docked marks was that massive 8 mark printer (laser vs inkjet) question, but even still I'd definitely talk to someone to get it checked out. Ehh sorry for prying in like that, apologies if it's out of place, just that I'd be livid if I got a C when expecting better too.
Same here, can I ask what School you are from? Totally miffed about the result, was predicted a C got an E
goingnowherefast
Original post by goingnowherefast
Same here, can I ask what School you are from? Totally miffed about the result, was predicted a C got an E
goingnowherefast

From City and Islington in london, what about you? Not sure if that question was intended for me though, if it wasn't then apologies
Reply 75
I got 80/80 UMS points for the exam and my teacher said I lost 3 or 4 marks out of the 60. Since it was a hard paper, AQA must have scaled up the marks.
Reply 76
Original post by AndroidLight
I recall your answers were very similar to mine, so judging from them I too think that would be strange to get a C. We didn't really do many a past paper, but I too came out of the exam thinking I had achieved a high mark. Maybe you can request a copy of the exam script or ask for a remark? Because 27 marks does seem a lot too lose. The only thing I can really think about that could've docked marks was that massive 8 mark printer (laser vs inkjet) question, but even still I'd definitely talk to someone to get it checked out. Ehh sorry for prying in like that, apologies if it's out of place, just that I'd be livid if I got a C when expecting better too.

haha, sorry for the late reply :P
I'm still not convinced I deserved the C...
My bloody teacher has even given me the paper to do (without revision) and he marked it with the mark scheme and I got a better mark than I did in the real bloody thing?!
So obviously I would've done if not the same, better WITH revision surely?
I don't know, I really don't. Something tells me AQA have something against me. Anyways, as I finished my GCSE's a year early, instead of taking a gap year i'll be resitting AS's and A2 exams. So Comp2 will come then I guess :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending