I got one at the weekend...they want A*A*A though!! whaaaaaaa?! :s-smilie:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
I got A*A*A as well! For Chem, Math and Phys... It's ridiculous :/
Is yours the same?
Reply 3
Haha yeah mine is the same! I knew one of them would probably be an A* but TWO?! My dad said he was going to ring them and say it's just out of order haha but I think he was joking! I hope so anyway...

Gonna have to work my butt off to get those grades!
Reply 4
When did you guys have your interviews?
I had mine on 19th jan but still havent heard anything yet :s-smilie:
My interview was 24th November, I got an offer on the 22nd December for AAA in Maths, Chem, Physics Advanced Highers... I was ecstatic upon receiving that offer letter I've been wanting to go to ICL for ages! God I'm so excited!! (My mood will probably drop when I actually get to ICL, Imperial CHemEng has a deathly workload I've heard)

Original post by super_sim
I got one at the weekend...they want A*A*A though!! whaaaaaaa?! :s-smilie:

I thought that might be the case... all A-level students are getting either A*A*A or A*AAA offers for ChemEng.

Tbh, I think very few Imperial offer-holders would have genuine difficulty trouble meeting those conditions, they're just intimidated by the sight of so many A*s on their offer letter :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
I really don't understand why they're giving out A*A*A offers, tbh i think it's a bit unfair. I mean, that's higher than oxbridge! :-o i guess i'm really luckly, i got an offer for chem eng, and i need to get A*AA, the A* being in maths, like it says in the prospectus. Yeah it's weird, everyone that i've talked to has A*A*A offers... :-S i dunno if it made a difference that i chose the year abroad programme, and i said to the interviewer that i'm hopin to go to france for a year... :-S i dunno, it's weird :-D
Original post by echelon B-)
I really don't understand why they're giving out A*A*A offers, tbh i think it's a bit unfair. I mean, that's higher than oxbridge! :-o i guess i'm really luckly, i got an offer for chem eng, and i need to get A*AA, the A* being in maths, like it says in the prospectus. Yeah it's weird, everyone that i've talked to has A*A*A offers... :-S i dunno if it made a difference that i chose the year abroad programme, and i said to the interviewer that i'm hopin to go to france for a year... :-S i dunno, it's weird :-D

I hope this doesn't sound rude... but if you're smart enough to hack an Imperial degree, A*A*A should be a very manageable offer... :/ I mean, as long as you've learned the material and know how to do the questions, 90UMS in your Maths and Science A2s should be well within your ability if you're off to study Imperial Chemical Engineering.

Also a couple of factors:
- Universities don't like being placed as an insurance choice. It creates doubt and confusion.

- ICL is predicting that just enough of their offer-holders will firm and meet this A*A*A offer. They may be worried that giving out lots of A*AA offers will cause too many people to firm (incurring fines), and at the same time they don't want to reject capable students without giving them a chance to meet an academic standard in their A2s. So their solution is a higher offer.

- Each university gives out offers based on what it wants, it doesn't really matter what Oxford/Cambridge have as their offers

Congratulations on all your offers though! Look forward to seeing you all next year. I'm going to be that short, rather annoying Asian kid who's always asking for help with problem sheets :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Wow, they're really turning up the heat this time round. Don't remember anyone with A*AA offers last year. ...good luck guys.

I hope this doesn't sound rude... but if you're smart enough to hack an Imperial degree, A*A*A should be a very manageable offer... :/ I mean, as long as you've learned the material and know how to do the questions, 90UMS in your Maths and Science A2s should be well within your ability if you're off to study Imperial Chemical Engineering.

Haha, we're not THAT great, trust me. I certainly don't think I'd have managed an A* in Chemistry or Physics unless I put an unbelievable amount of time into either.

EDIT: I might as well say this somewhere. To whoever's thinking about Imperial Chemical Engineering, be VERY sure that you want to do it because of love of the subject matter alone, not just job prospects and the like. If you don't know much about ChemEng or think "OOooOOH applied chemistry", please have another look at what it actually entails.

Work tends to be quite tedious (outside of group work, anyway). Most of it so far has revolved around re-arranging differential equations etc, which, while satisfying when done right, has been quite boring to me so far. Process Analysis is also very dull ("what goes in must come out" on a ginormous scale, basically).

2nd, 3rd and 4th years might become more interesting with the introduction of electives and the like, but from I've heard the workload is phenomenal.

To give you an idea of the scale of disillusionment throughout the course, 60% of graduates go into investment banking.

I'm not trying to scare you guys or anything, I'm just trying to prevent anyone with doubts making the same mistake I made ("Chemistry+Maths+prestige yay"). ChemEng is definitely a very varied subject with a shedton of applications, but I hope to God you love your calculus because you will need it more than water.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dreizhen
Wow, they're really turning up the heat this time round. Don't remember anyone with A*AA offers last year. ...good luck guys.

Haha, we're not THAT great, trust me. I certainly don't think I'd have managed an A* in Chemistry or Physics unless I put an unbelievable amount of time into either.

Fair enough, I bet uni-level stuff makes A-levels look ridiculous now though.

EDIT: I might as well say this somewhere. To whoever's thinking about Imperial Chemical Engineering, be VERY sure that you want to do it because of love of the subject matter alone, not just job prospects and the like. If you don't know much about ChemEng or think "OOooOOH applied chemistry", please have another look at what it actually entails.

Work tends to be quite tedious (outside of group work, anyway). Most of it so far has revolved around re-arranging differential equations etc, which, while satisfying when done right, has been quite boring to me so far. Process Analysis is also very dull ("what goes in must come out" on a ginormous scale, basically).

2nd, 3rd and 4th years might become more interesting with the introduction of electives and the like, but from I've heard the workload is phenomenal.

To give you an idea of the scale of disillusionment throughout the course, 60% of graduates go into investment banking.

I'm not trying to scare you guys or anything, I'm just trying to prevent anyone with doubts making the same mistake I made ("Chemistry+Maths+prestige yay"). ChemEng is definitely a very varied subject with a shedton of applications, but I hope to God you love your calculus because you will need it more than water.

I really like this post! there was one other prospective ChemEnger at my school. She one day decided to ask me what I thought is involved in a ChemEng degree. After hearing my answer of "Maths, lots of Maths," she is no longer applying for ChemEng :colondollar:

However, despite the possibilites for ICL grads in high-end jobs such as IB, Imperial is pretty average in terms of % of engineers going into financial jobs actually. :/ Also, the general consensus of people I know at ICL is that the workload is horrendous but they think it's worth it for the good career prospects. It can be hard to know what you'll find interesting at uni, so surely if you want the good employment prospects, are competent and interested in Maths and are prepared to slog, surely an Imperial Engineering Degree is a pretty secure choice?

Out of interest, did you transfer out of ChemEng or something? Last time I checked you were doing Computer Science or something.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by innerhollow

However, despite the possibilites for ICL grads in high-end jobs such as IB, Imperial is pretty average in terms of % of engineers going into financial jobs actually. :/ Also, the general consensus of people I know at ICL is that the workload is horrendous but they think it's worth it for the good career prospects. It can be hard to know what you'll find interesting at uni, so surely if you want the good employment prospects, are competent and interested in Maths and are prepared to slog, surely an Imperial Engineering Degree is a pretty secure choice?

Yeah, if career is your sole motivator (which it seems to be for most students on my course AFAIK). Personally I wanted something to be passionate about; clearly I made the wrong decision in that regard. Ah well.

Out of interest, did you transfer out of ChemEng or something? Last time I checked you were doing Computer Science or something.

Thought about CompSci first but then realised I could do a postgrad conversion to learn material up to a Bachelor's level, so I might as well do a different undergraduate degree. Chemical Engineering seemed like the best choice for me because of aforementioned Math/Chemistry love.

Kind of regret the decision now no matter how objectively sound it is, so I reapplied for 2011 entry to CompSci (late...) and have got an unconditional from Warwick. However because I love everything about Imperial (...besides my course) I'm so torn between my two choices it's practically killing me inside. Hopefully my open day visit will end this once and for all.

EDIT: Also regarding your last paragraph, "slogging" along a degree you find boring is one thing (e.g. Asian medicine applicants - only half joking); doing it in Imperial is another...

EDIT EDIT: Can I just clarify that I PERSONALLY find ChemEng boring. I'm not going to pretend that EVERYONE who studies the subject hates it; people can be passionate about anything. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if people thought I was thinking about CompSci just for the money.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: One positive note for prospective ChemEngers: you guys are probably going to be the first users of the brand-spanking-new pilot plant, so you'll have a much better idea of ChemEng than has been portrayed to my year so far.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
any malaysian students out there been callled for an interview by imperial??
Original post by hvsr
any malaysian students out there been callled for an interview by imperial??

From Malayisa. Applied for Aero. Got an offer. Was not called for Interview
Reply 13
Original post by CookieGhoul
From Malayisa. Applied for Aero. Got an offer. Was not called for Interview

sorry i meant for chem eng! they only have interviews for chem eng!
Original post by hvsr
sorry i meant for chem eng! they only have interviews for chem eng!

As an international student, you were called for an interview by Imperial ? :eek:I doubt they ever interview international students outside the UK
Reply 15
Original post by CookieGhoul
As an international student, you were called for an interview by Imperial ? :eek:I doubt they ever interview international students outside the UK[/QUOT

i know they interview in malaysia and on the website they said south east asia...
Original post by hvsr

i know they interview in malaysia and on the website they said south east asia...

Oh Alrite. If i may ask, which college are u from ?
Reply 17
I will be interviewed on skype next week. Btw,I'm from Thailand
Reply 18
Original post by Sunny girl
I will be interviewed on skype next week. Btw,I'm from Thailand

hey when did they let u know bout your interview??
Reply 19
Today via email

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending