The Student Room Group

Driving a convertible during first year ? 'Too Much?' (Photos included)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hahaha why would you bring a car to university at all? During the day, there's too much traffic + parking would be a big problem. Everyone else, including your friends, will be walking/tubing/busing all the time - I agree with your mum's friend that you'll have a harder time making friends, the price is irrelevant here. During the night, you won't be able to bring out your car because it's not like you're gonna park it at Leicester Sq when clubbing + you can't drink and drive.

If you really MUST MUST MUST buy it, I'd suggest going to university for 1 month without the car and deciding afterwards if you really need it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Steph90
No they won't judge you. End of.

Show this to your parents as proof.

:biggrin:
Reply 42
Lets look at some maths here.
Cheapest place I've found for a student flat in London is £135 a week. Here we have to assume that the landlord would insist on a year contract so that would be...
£7020 a year.
Congestion Charge £10 a day, lets say you're in 4 days a week, £40 a week, in for approximately 40 weeks, thats an additional £1600.
Bills-Actually lets just skip bills, already this is starting to look a little silly.
Now I receive everything I can from my student loan, and I get about 6k a year-a lot more than many other students I know.
Before taking into account bills and road tax, your outgoings exceed this by £2620. Living in London the most you can receive on your student loan I believe is £6170, however as the last quarter is means tested and your parents seem to have no issue (before today) with splashing out on a payment on your car-at the age of 19 you think 6k isn't that much money-I'm assuming your family is fairly well off at this point-you would not be recieving the fill £6170-and if I am correct, this would also include your tuition fees.
Now I have no idea how much your family will assist you with university if at all, but regardless, save the money for uni. I can appreciate that this is something you want but right now it would be a waste of money. Unless of course your parents are giving you a large amount of support financially, in which case if I were them I'd deny you the car and get you to buy a more affordable one on your own within your own budget.
(edited 13 years ago)
It's hardly showing off; it's a peugeot.

If it were a porsche, perhaps, but not a peugeot.
Reply 44
I thought London had good public transportation??????? I used to take the bus to a college 8 miles away. It took me three different bus lines and 2 hours to get there. That's LA for ya.

By the way, I've never seen a convertible like that.
Don't take this as a put down, there will be people that will have cars a lot more expensive than yours.

So...you are not going to get picked on.

I doubt you will even use it that much if you are planning to stay in London.
Reply 46
spoilt much?
Reply 47
My cousin had a brand new fiesta bought for her when she was at uni, had a few occasions of jealousy i.e. people spitting on her car etc etc. It's a sad world, but best to be warned.
Reply 48
Original post by Jon of the North
You'll never use it. Driving in London is dreadful at the best of times, and are you staying in Halls? If you are, your not going to have a cat in hells chance of parking the thing. Silly idea.

This.

First, why take a car to university at all? Costs far too much, and you'll be one of the minority with a car.

And second, why take a car to London? You'll be getting everywhere slower than everybody else, and spending more money doing it. Sounds fantastic!

Although yes, you will look cooler than all the others on the tube.

Just not practical, don't bother.
If you can afford it, then great. People won't pick on you unless they are idiots that you wouldn't want to know anyway.

If there's any worry at all about money, wait. I doubt you will use your car much at uni. You may find that in three years time, you would have much preferred to buy your car then with the newer models. Not to mention upkeep, tax, petrol etc. that will build up over the years.
If you've got the money, and you want it, get it. Don't worry about whether there'll be a few people about who could give you trouble.
Reply 50
the car aint for your friends that you might make its for you and only you, if you want it GO FOR IT!! ignore some stuck up bitch i bet the only reason shes said that is bacause shes jealous that you can have such a nice 1st car and someone she might know cant!! if i were you id go and buy it, drive to her house show her and tell her to swivel on it!!

she just seems a bit :stupid: to me.
Original post by Arekkusu
I still drive my first car. 1998 Ford Ka, a good 150k on the clock, brake problems, tyre problems, air intake problems, been bent round a telegraph pole, on about its third exhaust pipe... would probably buy me something like half the headlamp of that monstrosity up there.

Of course it's too much. You live in London, for heaven's sake - how are you going to pay for ANYTHING else if the car already costs you £6-9k?

Some people astound me. You're a girl, as well, you don't need to have a car and look all impressive. Spend your savings on having a good time in London, where the cost of a pint approaches £5. I came to uni with £4,000 and what with one thing and another that's halved now; all I've got to show for it is a skiing holiday and a few pots and pans. I haven't even gone all out on the drinks.

Seriously where do you drink?

I live and work in Soho and have never paid anywhere close to a fiver for a pint. The most expensive I have ever seen was £4.20.
You don't need a car, it's London for ****s sake.

All my mates who drive leave their car at home, and get public transport in, because it's a bitch to park. I should know, I work in central London and graduated from UCL.

As for the car itself...looks quite pretentious like you are trying to hard to impress. If you showed that to me in first year I wouldn't really care.
Original post by donuticus
Seriously where do you drink?

I live and work in Soho and have never paid anywhere close to a fiver for a pint. The most expensive I have ever seen was £4.20.

Agreed, always £4 max for me. And I drink a lot.
Reply 54
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
Okay I'm starting a law degree at UCL this year and I'm really excited to meet new people and finally take that step into further education after such a tedious gap year.

It's my birthday this summer and I'm getting a car, I've wanted the same car for ages and my parents are going to get it for me because I did well in my A Levels last year and I've volunteered though my gap year. It's the Peugeot 207 CC 2007 Plate. It's around 6-9k second hand. I've been looking on auto trader for months.

I've saved as much as I can for it and my parents will pay the rest and my insurance off.

All this time it's been the plan and FINE but yesterday my mum's friend whose a lecturer and a grade ONE nosey parker -_- came round and said 'no that will be wayyy to much' -_____- She said people won't take to me quickly and might think I'm a show off? JUST BECAUSE OF MY CAR?!

This is SOO annoying because it is MY CAR, I've wanted a convertible peugeot since they had the 206CC convertibles when like I was in year 9!!!

Now my mum's being all ' I don't want you to get picked on' :s-smilie: what the hell? Do people even pick on people at uni ? This isn't year 8 -_- Now they're suggesting I get something more modest because of what this woman said NOTHING more, up until yesterday this was THE PLAN. -__-

People at uni who drive do you think it would be 'too much?', can people REALLY judge you on your car :s-smilie: I'm soo peeved. How can a car be 'too much'

I want to get the black one, I've been looking on auto trader for months. How exactly can this car put me off having friends???? -_____- It's not like people will say 'you have a convertible, go away'

It's even more annoying because my parents NEVER thought like this BEFORE she came along.

Nobody will be driving a car to UCL, plus no one will care about a Peugeot. Also, in central, for every 9 grand Peugeot there's five 30 grand German tanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
i couldnt care less what car people have...
x
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
This made me laugh and let me tell you why, my friends dad who is the manager at Toni & Guy in Farringdon DRIVES THIS CAR! LOOL. He doesn't have fake D&G glasses though he wears armani suits every day! but your mention of successful hairdresser made me laugh.

Yeah I hear hairdressers have an excellent reputation for choosing good cars.

But anyway, lol @ you for wanting a car in central London.
You're going to UCL and intend on having a car?

That's so necessary! Reasons:
1. Congestion charge every day going around London.
2. Parking! UCL has no parking for students, you will spend hours trying to find a slot around that area.
3. Once you do find a parking space, you'll have to pay A LOT for the parking ticket.
4. The tube is cheaper, quicker and more accessible to areas in London.

As for the car, well that all depends on taste. If that's what you want then go for it, but the fact that you're asking how it will perceived just shows that you're getting this car to make an impression on others rather than for a genuine desire to get this car.
I'd think you were dumb for having a car in central London at all, but each to their own.
I certainly wouldn't not be friends with someone just because of their car! That's daft. People at Uni are (generally) more mature than that.
poor little rich girl

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending