The Student Room Group

17th Jan 2011 - AQA AS English Literature A

Is anyone else taking this exam (AQA AS English Literature A spec resit) on January 17? How's your revision going? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am!

I've sorted my wider reading into 5 categories: Race, Religion, Gender, Sexuality, and Social/Political (making sure I have at least 3 texts for each).
Then I'm making A4 revision sheets for every poem, novel, speech or play that I'm using. On each one I've made notes about context, form, structure, language, major themes, and typicality of modern literature.

Got any tips for writing a good answer?:smile:
Reply 2
I am not so sure about writing a good essay because first time I done this I got a C but do you know how many texts we should compare in both section A and B for good grades?
Reply 3
Original post by kinkin
I am not so sure about writing a good essay because first time I done this I got a C but do you know how many texts we should compare in both section A and B for good grades?

For section A you're recommended to use 3-6 texts from your wider reading - at least one of each genre (prose, drama, poetry).
For section B some of the questions usually specify (e.g. using two other poems). If they don't I think I'll use 3 other poems.
Reply 4
One more question in Section A with wider reading do you use direct quotations to validate the points, or can you paraphrase quotes and write generally.
Original post by kinkin
One more question in Section A with wider reading do you use direct quotations to validate the points, or can you paraphrase quotes and write generally.

Direct quotations are best, but my teachers have always told us to paraphrase if we can't remember them word for word - no one is going to check if you got it word perfect :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by A.L. C-Brown
Direct quotations are best, but my teachers have always told us to paraphrase if we can't remember them word for word - no one is going to check if you got it word perfect :smile:

Thanks for the fast response. ^.^ Does anyone know how long we should make each answer, like the minimum amount of points needed. Or does anyone have an exemplar answers so i know what the format of answering the questions looks like.
I'm retaking this and I want to do English at university so it needs to go ok! The thing is, analysis (A02) is 12 marks and context is 27 marks?! (AO4). I didn't get told this last year, but it is on AQA's mark schemes and spec :/ AO1 and AO3 (wider reading...) are only THREE MARKS EACH. therefore it really goes on knowing about the era and being able to analyse more than knowing direct quotes and bringing in everything Tennyson wrote, which must have been my mistake last year :/

xxxxx
(edited 13 years ago)
I think I'm better prepared this time around. I know where I went wrong, I need to focus on context.
Reply 9
ahhh does anyone know whether it'smorning or afternoon? panicing! X
Original post by rgm:D
ahhh does anyone know whether it'smorning or afternoon? panicing! X

Afternoon! I'm planning on getting to school at like eight so I have five solid hours of cramming x
Reply 11
I know that if I'm in school people will distract me :frown: good luck to everyone taking the exam
How did everyone find it? I thought the extract was ok, had a lot to say but It some came out a bit sloppy ! I done the sympathy question for Hardy x
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Rachel_Leah
How did everyone find it? I thought the extract was ok, had a lot to say but It some came out a bit sloppy ! I done the sympathy question for Hardy x

I didn't like it - I was expecting an extract from a Victorian writer, not a 1950s writer. I know I didn't do enough for AO4 (Context) and I'm worried about that. Found the Hardy question ok but ran out of time at the end. Also, didn't do enough linking between different poems.

How much did you write? I know it's quality not quantity but I always wonder...I wrote nearly 4 pages for the first question and 3 for the Hardy question.
Original post by Bella_Cullen
I didn't like it - I was expecting an extract from a Victorian writer, not a 1950s writer. I know I didn't do enough for AO4 (Context) and I'm worried about that. Found the Hardy question ok but ran out of time at the end. Also, didn't do enough linking between different poems.

How much did you write? I know it's quality not quantity but I always wonder...I wrote nearly 4 pages for the first question and 3 for the Hardy question.

Yeh that did throw me a bit, but it was still about victoriany stuff lol so I was just like 'meh'. I don't think I put in enough on context, I talked about slums in birmingham briefly, working class houses act, a bit on how darwin was later on so pugin wouldn't have been so sure about his faith if he lived til after 1852... And some on factory acts etc. Defo run out of time!!!

And I don't blinded bird obvs, drummer hodge, darkling, I look into my glass and a christmas ghost story and things got a bit muddled with the linking :/ I wrote 4 sides for context and 5 for hardy!
X
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Yeh that did throw me a bit, but it was still about victoriany stuff lol so I was just like 'meh'. I don't think I put in enough on context, I talked about slums in birmingham briefly, working class houses act, a bit on how darwin was later on so pugin wouldn't have been so sure about his faith if he lived til after 1852... And some on factory acts etc. Defo run out of time!!!

And I don't blinded bird obvs, drummer hodge, darkling, I look into my glass and a christmas ghost story and things got a bit muddled with the linking :/ I wrote 4 sides for context and 5 for hardy!
X

Arghh for the Hardy I forgot to compare the poems together and just based the whole debate on the question and linked it individually to each poem. :frown: Is the Oxen okay?
Reply 16
Original post by Bella_Cullen
I didn't like it - I was expecting an extract from a Victorian writer, not a 1950s writer.

I LOVE YOU FOR THIS!
The idea of the exam was Victorian Literature.. not radio shows on victorian literature.. I found it hard to make links as a concept when none of the extract was the guys views himself!
They had to pick the nastiest name to spell too :frown: Betjman - what the hell is that
0.o What Wider reading links did you use? I used:
A woman of no importance, Hard times and Dover beach

I doubt it but did anyone do John Clare for their poetry? One of the most sly questions I have ever answered... something like "to what extent can Clares love poetry move a modern ready" To what extent do you agree with this statement... there is subjective and there is simply taking the piss!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Was it just me or was section A confusing, did you have to write about the poets interpretation of Patii or somehting like that... And for Section B I didn't even know Hardy wrote poems about animals. My book of poems didn't have church romance or that Bord one so I had to wait 10 mins for teacher to find it as a result my section B was totally rushed :s . Good thing I got at B first time round. not sure i even answered section A correctly. the whole test for me was confusing.
Reply 18
Original post by kinkin
Was it just me or was section A confusing, did you have to write about the poets interpretation of Patii or somehting like that... And for Section B I didn't even know Hardy wrote poems about animals. My book of poems didn't have church romance or that Bord one so I had to wait 10 mins for teacher to find it as a result my section B was totally rushed :s . Good thing I got at B first time round. not sure i even answered section A correctly. the whole test for me was confusing.

Completly agree for section A - it took me a good 5-10 mins to work out who was the victorian and who was the radio person... and I still don't understand how you can write about typicality in victorian literature when the extract is a modern talk show thing...:frown::mad::s-smilie:
If your anthology thingy didn't have a poem in you should have either got more time or a thing sent to the exam board saying so :s-smilie: talk to your teacher?
You might get like a bonus or something??

I hope teachers either read it and have a mental breakdown and complain to AQA, or everyone either does really well as it was so weird or we all flop so they give us easy grades... or something like that :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Original post by ojl2283
Completly agree for section A - it took me a good 5-10 mins to work out who was the victorian and who was the radio person... and I still don't understand how you can write about typicality in victorian literature when the extract is a modern talk show thing...:frown::mad::s-smilie:

Completely agree. The extract was so confusing and I agree about typicality - I couldn't link to any of the Victorian cultural commentary that I've read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending