The Student Room Group

TSR Foreign Affairs Hub

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/13/us-israel-security-embassies-idUSTRE81C0QZ20120213

In the first attack, the wife of an Israeli diplomat was injured when a bomb exploded in her car in New Delhi, India. The woman succeeded in driving to the Israeli embassy where she was evacuated to a nearby hospital.

Local authorities were investigating the possibility that the bomb was planted under the car or alternatively that an assassin on a motorbike attached it to the vehicle as it was driving. Indian television cited witnesses who saw a motorbike following the car and possibly throwing an object toward it before the explosion.

In the second attack, an embassy staffer in Tbilisi, Georgia discovered a bomb underneath his car as he was driving to the embassy Monday morning. The staffer a local Georgian national heard something during the drive, pulled over to the side of the road, noticed the bomb and called local authorities. The bomb was dismantled before exploding.

Literally hours after:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel's arch-foe Iran "stands behind" bombers who targeted Israeli embassy cars in India and Georgia on Monday.

Netanyahu linked the incidents to reports of foiled attacks in Thailand and Azerbaijan last month for which, he said, Iran and its Lebanese guerrilla "proxy" Hezbollah were responsible.

That was quick.
Reply 981

Attacks sound similar to the ones carried out on Iranian scientists. If it is Iran then I guess this is their retaliation or perhaps the start of it.
Reply 982

You talk about Pakistans paranoia, yet you're paranoid about someone invading britain LOL :rofl:

Out of the two, Pakistan has more of a legitimate concern considering it has a volatile border with enemy, India and a volatile border with Afghanistan - a country occupied by NATO forces, Taliban and AQ.
Reply 983
Original post by ak137
You talk about Pakistans paranoia, yet you're paranoid about someone invading britain LOL :rofl:

Out of the two, Pakistan has more of a legitimate concern considering it has a volatile border with enemy, India and a volatile border with Afghanistan - a country occupied by NATO forces, Taliban and AQ.

If Pakistan was just building nuclear subs and had no other nuclear deterrent that would be fair enough. But they are building nuclear subs, building more mobile launchers and expanding their nuclear arsenal as fast as possible. Its insane.

How are nuclear subs going to help against their border with Afghanistan? Pakistan is facing internal corruption, problems with the military and the fact that part of their nation is controlled by terrorists. More nuclear weapons aren't going to help with this. India should not be a concern when compared to the other problems Pakistan is facing. Yet Pakistan still sees it as a primary concern despite that fact that a key reason it would attack them is because of attacks like Mumbai.
Reply 984
Original post by Aj12
If Pakistan was just building nuclear subs and had no other nuclear deterrent that would be fair enough. But they are building nuclear subs, building more mobile launchers and expanding their nuclear arsenal as fast as possible. Its insane.

And, so what?

How are nuclear subs going to help against their border with Afghanistan? Pakistan is facing internal corruption, problems with the military and the fact that part of their nation is controlled by terrorists. More nuclear weapons aren't going to help with this. India should not be a concern when compared to the other problems Pakistan is facing. Yet Pakistan still sees it as a primary concern despite that fact that a key reason it would attack them is because of attacks like Mumbai.

Nuclear weapons deters the Americans from invading our land, internal corruption or not.

India/Pakistan relations arent the best, if you hadnt of realised. India is becoming a bigger superpower than Pakistan and Pakistan is scared of that. Im not sure if you actually understand India/Pakistan relations.

Original post by Aj12

You're forgetting that 2/3rds of Pakistan's border is disputed especially Indian-occupied Kashmir.
Reply 986
Original post by ak137
And, so what?

Nuclear weapons deters the Americans from invading our land, internal corruption or not.

India/Pakistan relations arent the best, if you hadnt of realised. India is becoming a bigger superpower than Pakistan and Pakistan is scared of that. Im not sure if you actually understand India/Pakistan relations.

Pakistan is producing an extreme amount of nukes. I'm pointing out that given the other problems the country is facing now is hardly the time to be mass producing hundreds of nuclear weapons in all shapes and sizes. There are far more pressing concerns for them to deal with than some imagined conflict with India.
Reply 987
Original post by Brutal Honesty
You're forgetting that 2/3rds of Pakistan's border is disputed especially Indian-occupied Kashmir.

I know and the potential for a conflict may be there but Pakistan's current arsenal is enough of a deterrent. I don't see why now is the time for them to be hugely increasing it?

I'm a bit suspicious even though I usually wouldn't be surprised considering it's Iran. The diplomat 'heard a noise' and found a bomb before it blew up. The Indian one seems more plausible to be fair but it seems to me that Israel knew of the attacks beforehand and were prepared with a statement. It may have been Iran but Israel knew about it and want to use this to further their justification for attacking Iran which is why they didn't stop it outright.

Original post by Aj12
I know and the potential for a conflict may be there but Pakistan's current arsenal is enough of a deterrent. I don't see why now is the time for them to be hugely increasing it?

Iran going nuclear, potential US troop pull out of Afghanistan, Saudi potentially going nuclear, possibly China supporting this move because they want to see more stability in Pakistan (Baluchistan holds a very important dock for China) and they want more trade?
Original post by Aj12

So what? They can do what they like. It is their money they are spending. Personally, I think we should ban aid to the country.

Yes, Pakistan is facing internal corruption, with the recent case of the PM being charged with contempt- Pakistan is embracing freedom like never before. I think it is quite a symbol, when a country realises that the government is not above the state.
I never realised Pakistan is controlled by terrorists. Which terrorists are they?
Pakistan, doesn't see India as it's biggest concern. The USA is their biggest concern- according to their media.
Reply 991
Original post by Brutal Honesty
Iran going nuclear, potential US troop pull out of Afghanistan, Saudi potentially going nuclear, possibly China supporting this move because they want to see more stability in Pakistan (Baluchistan holds a very important dock for China) and they want more trade?

Pakistan has over 100 nuclear weapons and second strike capacity. Any new nuclear power will not be able to match this nuclear capacity for a very very long time.
Reply 992
Original post by Aj12
Pakistan is producing an extreme amount of nukes. I'm pointing out that given the other problems the country is facing now is hardly the time to be mass producing hundreds of nuclear weapons in all shapes and sizes. There are far more pressing concerns for them to deal with than some imagined conflict with India.

Its deterring the Americans as well as the Indians. The US has stated (i think) thats the reason they havent invaded pakistan.
Reply 993
Original post by The_Male_Melons
So what? They can do what they like. It is their money they are spending. Personally, I think we should ban aid to the country.

Yes, Pakistan is facing internal corruption, with the recent case of the PM being charged with contempt- Pakistan is embracing freedom like never before. I think it is quite a symbol, when a country realises that the government is not above the state.
I never realised Pakistan is controlled by terrorists. Which terrorists are they?
Pakistan, doesn't see India as it's biggest concern. The USA is their biggest concern- according to their media.

The Federally Administered Tribal Areas is filled with terrorist groups that the Pakistan military has so far refused to act against. Having groups like the Haqqani Network operating out of Pakistan should be a major concern, something they should be putting money and resources towards rather than massively increasing their nuclear arsenal. So controlled was too harsh a term but even so they know these groups are acting out of Pakistani soil yet refuse to do anything.
Reply 994
Original post by Ferdowsi
Very positive to see both Sarkozy and the German foreign minister tell Israel to not attack Iran.

Israeli attacks will be a catastrophe and will set back Iranian freedom a long way.

"A state of war only serves as an excuse for domestic tyranny"

I hope Israel attacks Iran. Peace so is over rated!

I think we're likely to see an Israeli attack on Iran either after the next president of the US is inaugurated or after when NATO stops its combat missions in afghanistan, which has gone down to 2013.
Reply 995
Original post by The_Male_Melons

If by ban you mean stopping then yeah, i agree with you. In fact, lets stop funding all governments and instead concentrate the money we have at home! Stupid 9K fees! :angry:
Reply 996
Original post by ak137
Its deterring the Americans as well as the Indians. The US has stated (i think) thats the reason they havent invaded pakistan.

Im not arguing that the nuclear program does not serve a purpose. I am arguing that given the other issues Pakistan faces now seems a pretty poor time to be diverting a lot of resources to a massive nuclear expansion.
Reply 997
Original post by Aj12
Im not arguing that the nuclear program does not serve a purpose. I am arguing that given the other issues Pakistan faces now seems a pretty poor time to be diverting a lot of resources to a massive nuclear expansion.

Ah, fair enough.

Original post by Aj12
Pakistan has over 100 nuclear weapons and second strike capacity. Any new nuclear power will not be able to match this nuclear capacity for a very very long time.

Practically it's useless but that's not why countries have lots of nukes. It's to do with regional presence and international stature. Britain's main reason for having nukes isn't because Russia will nuke us but to keep the permanent seat on the UNSC. Pakistan is doing this to give the impression of long term stability which may act as a self-fulfiling prophecy when countries like China come to invest/trade/build infrastructure. They might sell some to Saudi Arabia as well or aim to act as a counterweight to a nuclear ME given they're part of the wider ME.
Original post by Aj12
The Federally Administered Tribal Areas is filled with terrorist groups that the Pakistan military has so far refused to act against. Having groups like the Haqqani Network operating out of Pakistan should be a major concern, something they should be putting money and resources towards rather than massively increasing their nuclear arsenal. So controlled was too harsh a term but even so they know these groups are acting out of Pakistani soil yet refuse to do anything.

Let's be real the Karzai government is a puppet regime which won elections that had less credibility than the Russian ones. Everyone knows it'll collapse when the pull out begins so Pakistan is backing the winning horse. They don't want to be on the side of Karzai when he falls and his opponents take over because then they'll have a hostile, unstable country full of fighters, weapons and terrorists sharing a giant, porous border with them. The US/NATO can bail out thousands of miles away but Pakistan will suffer 99% of the brunt of hostility if they back Karzai's corrupt, incompetent, thuggish regime and then it collapses. There needs to be a valid opposition in Afghanistan who the Pakistanis can legitimately support otherwise they'll back the generic opposition figures/groups.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending