The Student Room Group

TSR Foreign Affairs Hub

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noisy06
The Sunni countries could take Damascus, the only problem would be putting down the Syrian forces permanently, and even that would happen in time. If you knew how Sunni radical terrorists worked, you would know that all the Saudis and other Sunni states including the ones in Africa need to do is relax the anti-terror laws they have and actively finance them just like they financed the terrorists in Iraq and how the Taliban bankrolled. Unhinged jihadists can do the job in Syria, I can guarantee that. Not that I support terrorism of course, not at all. But all it takes are armed radicals to cross over from Jordan/Iraq/Saudi Arabia and Assad's days will be numbered. There'd be roadside bombs everywhere and it'll be another Iraq. There's little doubt about that. These death squads will be blown 1000 feet into the air. Fight terror with terror innit :wink:

I don't doubt that the Saudis are able to cause such chaos in Syria, that is one thing they are very good at.

I'm not sure creating a new Iraq is really desirable however...creating a new battleground for the Islamic Republic and Saudi Arabia must be avoided.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ferdowsi
Well Chechnya is an awful thought..what was the death toll? like 200,000 dead civilians or something? :s-smilie::s-smilie:

Yes we could be easily looking at hundreds of thousands dead. It would be a while before everyone knows the true number, the only reason we know the rough figure of people killed in Hama was because the Assad dynasty (Rifaat in particular) were bragging about how many people were 'put down'.
Reply 1182
http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120320/DEFREG02/303200003/U-S-Sees-Perils-Israeli-Strike-Iran-Report?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE
NEW YORK A classified U.S. war simulation held to assess potential fallout from an Israeli attack on Iran predicts it would spark a broader regional war involving the U.S., The New York Times reported March 20.

The simulation was not considered a rehearsal, the report said, but it does indicate potential risks from such an attack.

“The results of the war game were particularly troubling to Gen. James Mattis, who commands all American forces in the Middle East, Persian Gulf and Southwest Asia,” the report said, citing unnamed officials familiar with the effort.

“When the exercise had concluded earlier this month, according to the officials, Gen. Mattis told aides that an Israeli first strike would be likely to have dire consequences across the region and for United States forces there,” it added.

The two-week simulation, dubbed Internal Look, highlighted a series of potential events in which “the United States found it was pulled into the conflict” after Iranian missiles struck a U.S. Navy warship in the Gulf, killing about 200 Americans, according to officials with knowledge of the exercise.
Various reports coming out of Syria indicating that Assad is stoking up sectarianism in Syria. He's visited areas where Christians and Alawites live and is implying that Sunnis are out to get them. We know of course during the Arab League mission that Christians also secretly despise Assad and live alongside Sunnis without any issues, they're largely united in their hatred of Assad (for Alawites it's slightly different). However, I fully expect to see churches and Shi'ite mosques being bombed by Assad's security forces and it being blamed on Sunnis, this will quite easily get Christians and Shi'ites on board. Already some churches have been bombed and blamed on Sunnis/FSA but there's little evidence to suggest that the FSA were involved at all. The western media (and casual consumers) will probably lap it up because they're not very well informed about this stuff.
Reply 1184
http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120320/DEFREG01/303200007/Germany-Confirms-Sale-Nuclear-Capable-Sub-Israel?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Germany sells another nuclear capable sun to Israel. This makes it six nuclear subs sold to Israel with three already in the hands of the Israelis. Media reports have said the submarines can carry nuclear warheads and have an operating range of 4,500 kilometers (2,800 miles).

T
Original post by Aj12
http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120320/DEFREG01/303200007/Germany-Confirms-Sale-Nuclear-Capable-Sub-Israel?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Germany sells another nuclear capable sun to Israel. This makes it six nuclear subs sold to Israel with three already in the hands of the Israelis. Media reports have said the submarines can carry nuclear warheads and have an operating range of 4,500 kilometers (2,800 miles).

T

Wow, poor old weak and defenceless Israel :rolleyes: :wink:

---

There is a mounting possibility that president Ahmadinejad could be impeached for incompetence by the Iranian parliament, which is currently under the firm control of the Supreme Leader Seyed Ali Khamenei, after the last set of sham elections. Ahmadinejad has been challenging the Supreme Leader, he is claiming that he is in contact with Mahdi, which is the twelfth imam in shia twelver Islam that is currently in occult (hiding essentially) and will return at end time to establish law and justice. Ahmadinejad is undoubtedly a religious fanatic, however this is without a doubt a threat and challenge to the religious position of the supreme leader, and hence a threat to his position within the Islamic Republic.

If Iran is bombed then military groups, particularly the IRGC, will probably take control over the country and marginalise the president. That scenario may be why some groups within the Iranian leadership and the IRGC might even welcome any short-lived military attack as a pretext to cement their power inside Iran's ruling elite. The IRGC is loyal to the supreme leader. Iranian society is at boiling point, and they have managed to annoy almost every social group in the country, and a large section of the clergy itself is increasingly disgusted by the direction of the Islamic Republic. This is very worrying times indeed. The regime will end soon, this is providing that the West and Israel back off, this regime cannot continue, and is unrecognisable compared to itself a decade ago. Attacking Iran would be a disaster from the point of view of our nation and I would consider it a betrayal on the same level of the 1953 coup by the West.

----

Personally I do not believe Israel will attack because it serves no obvious strategic benefit. There are some key things to remember.

1. Israel is facing major domestic protests, there have been numbers of national protests attracting something like 600,000 protests on a number of occasions over concerns over housing and the shrinking middle class (so in line with the rest of the developed world. If Bibi creates all this bluster and fear over war and so on, then it distracts people from this issue.

2. Talking endlessly Iran distracts people's attention from the disgraceful treatment of Palestinians, only last week over 20 Palestinians were killed by Israeli war planes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Also hilarious picture..!

http://khabaronline.ir/detail/204667/politics/government

This is an interview with Ahmadinejad reported in Khabar which is a paper loyal to Ali Larijani the current speaker of the Iranian parliament. Ahmadinejad has been deliberatey cut out of the picture. It is interesting because Larijani is an Iranian neoconservative along with Ahmadinejad, it is a sign of how conservatives are rallying behind the supreme leader as Ahmadinejad is confronted and phased out. Is it deliberate? Quite possible, Larijani has his eyes on the presidency in 2013.
Israelis have launched a campaign.

"Iranians we will never bomb your country, we love you"

It's important to never lose sight of the common humanity between us all I think.
Reply 1188
Israelis have launched a campaign.

"Iranians we will never bomb your country, we love you"

It's important to never lose sight of the common humanity between us all I think.

Yeah, the guy who started this has a blog at http://www.israelovesiran.com/

I posted some stuff in the tell us about Iran page :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1189
Also hilarious picture..!

http://khabaronline.ir/detail/204667/politics/government

This is an interview with Ahmadinejad reported in Khabar which is a paper loyal to Ali Larijani the current speaker of the Iranian parliament. Ahmadinejad has been deliberatey cut out of the picture. It is interesting because Larijani is an Iranian neoconservative along with Ahmadinejad, it is a sign of how conservatives are rallying behind the supreme leader as Ahmadinejad is confronted and phased out. Is it deliberate? Quite possible, Larijani has his eyes on the presidency in 2013.

Larijani has always been associated closely with Khamenei though hasn't he? I swear Larijani associated websites have been undermining Ahmadinejad in subtle ways like this before, can't recall specific examples right now.

Larijani has a been anti-Ahmadinejad for quite a while now.

Ahmadinejads parliament address was the most fascinating development in the last month imo. He really humiliated the parliament live on state radio for over an hour! As much as everyone hates this guy, we can't help but love him sometimes. His way of doing things is hilarious.

He basically completely took the piss out of the parliament and in effect told them "you idiots are insignificant, you think you have power but you don't. the parliament is a joke and you can't do a damn thing about it." and was broadcast live. I mean its pretty direct criticism of the system if you ask me... He wouldn't say Khamenei is controlling everything directly, but what other message could you suggest that Ahmadinejad was trying to say?

Analysis here:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MxSK
Larijani has always been associated closely with Khamenei though hasn't he? I swear Larijani associated websites have been undermining Ahmadinejad in subtle ways like this before, can't recall specific examples right now.

Larijani has a been anti-Ahmadinejad for quite a while now.

Ahmadinejads parliament address was the most fascinating development in the last month imo. He really humiliated the parliament live on state radio for over an hour! As much as everyone hates this guy, we can't help but love him sometimes. His way of doing things is hilarious.

He basically completely took the piss out of the parliament and in effect told them "you idiots are insignificant, you think you have power but you don't. the parliament is a joke and you can't do a damn thing about it." and was broadcast live. I mean its pretty direct criticism of the system if you ask me... He wouldn't say Khamenei is controlling everything directly, but what other message could you suggest that Ahmadinejad was trying to say?

Analysis here:

Well from what I understand between 2005 - 2009 Larijani was very supportive of Ahmadi and made comments like "me and Ahmadi are the same, we just follow our policies which are the same in different ways". every since 2009 Larijani has made loads of attacks on Ahmadi on everything from the economy, how he dealt with unrest following 2009, the clergy, relations with the West, subsidies. This fraud trial is all about beating up Ahmadi and his allies. I think that Larijani is doing this specifically because he wants to cosy up with Khamenei.

Yes the parliament thing was hilarious, I don't actually hate Ahmadinejad, he is just an idiotic fanatic, I hate people like Ali Larijani more, who are bright and aware of stuff, but still follow the IRI. The whole questioning was actually really funny, he just answered half the questions with jokes and he seemed to find the whole thing hilarious. I think he was behaving like that because it is embarrassing for him, so he tried to turn it into something that was not embarrassing.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's worth seeing this video about photojournalist Paul Conroy's experience in Syria: [video="youtube;plPOCjsz0Xw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plPOCjsz0Xw&feature=related[/video]

He's been in many different warzones and describes it as by far the worst one he's been in. He says describing it as a war isn't even a valid term for what's happening there. It's an abbatoir. Also, he says the people have accepted their fate that they are going to die and the ones who are fit enough will go down fighting.
Reply 1192
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1194

Much better (minus the crown).

Fair enough :P

BTW, you asked earlier about Rafsanjanis reappointment.

Here is one analysis:

Mehdi Khalaji, Washington Institue for Near East Policy

Spoiler

http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/templateC05.php?CID=3462
Reply 1195
LOL?

Georgia Invites Iran to Joint US Military Exercises
http://www.eurasianet.org/node/65170

Excerpts:

He was not the first person you might expect to see as an official guest at a US military exercise. But, nonetheless, there he was. Tucked among the ambassadors, diplomats and North American Treaty Organization (NATO) liaison officers watching US Marines and Georgian troops prepare for Afghanistan on March 20, was one of Iran's Tbilisi defense attachés.
The US long has maintained that Iran actively works to sabotage NATO operations in Afghanistan; a charge Tehran denies. On March 17, General Masoud Jazayeri, Iran's deputy commander of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, urged Afghans to create «resistance groups» and set about «hitting American interests,»
So, against that backdrop, you might think that having an Iranian military attaché at a US-Georgian military exercise for Afghanistan might make for an awkward moment.
But US Ambassador John Bass, observing the exercises, declined to comment to EurasiaNet.org about whether or not the Iranian attaché’s inclusion among the guests for the event gave him cause for concern.

I liked this part:

The Iranian attaché, for his part, appeared to put his time to good use. Unlike his counterparts from NATO member-states, during an eight-minute PowerPoint presentation that included video footage of military vehicles, he took notes furiously -- to the amusement of one Georgian defense ministry official. The live exercise showcased a model insurgency attack and joint techniques for capturing terrorists.

lol?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1196
The European Union has added 17 Iranians "responsible for serious human rights violations" to the list of individuals -- now 78 in total --- subject to a travel ban and an asset freeze.

The decision, endorsed in this morning's meeting of Foreign Ministers, also banned exports of equipment and software intended for use in the monitoring or interception of internet and telephone communications by Iranian authorities.

Whey... about time... action i can comfortably agree with!
Original post by MxSK
LOL?

Georgia Invites Iran to Joint US Military Exercises
http://www.eurasianet.org/node/65170

Excerpts:

No surprise. Did you know Adam Werrity a.k.a former defence sectary aide met with senior representatives of the IRI in May 2009, just one month before the biggest election fraud in our countries history and Werrity & Fox both visited Iran in 2007, and Werrity himself visited Iran multiple times and can speak Persian!!!
Original post by MxSK
Whey... about time... action i can comfortably agree with!

Tokenism. Why does Khamenei have billions in the British Cayman Islands whilst the British government supports sanctions that hurt the innocent Iranian people? Khamenei has 18 accounts in Switzerland, coming to a total of about $11 billion and a further $9.7 billion in Liechtenstein!! Naziyheh Khamenei has 300 million $ actually stored in the United Kingdom (and not even offshore accounts)!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1199
Hmm... Interesting...

TEHRAN: The U.N. and Arab League's envoy to mediate the Syria conflict, Kofi Annan, will visit Tehran next week, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said on Wednesday.

"Kofi Annan is probably coming to Tehran on Monday," Salehi told reporters on the sideline of a visit by Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The foreign minister also said "there are some differences between Iran and Turkey vis a vis the issue of Syria."

"But we are nearing to closing the gap of differences with the mission of Mr Kofi Annan and with the support of Turkey, Arab nations and the UN we hope there will be a way out for the Syrian issue," he said, speaking to reporters in English.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2012/Mar-28/168256-peace-envoy-annan-to-visit-tehran-next-week.ashx#ixzz1qPVUUr00

I wonder what the bold bit means... o.0

I did expect that there would come a point where the iranian regime would give up Assad. It's been a disaster for them on a Arab public opinion level which is something they used to always hold so dearly... I didn't think that the point of abandonment would be now though. It probably won't be and this is likely to be just more talk and no actual action but who knows.

This is while Erdogan is in Tehran to talk about Irans upcoming talks with P5+1, just after talking to Obama in Korea...

Some interesting point i thought i'd bring up:
1. How much influence does the iranian regime actually hold in Syria? Is it at such a level of influence that would be "fundamental" in changing the Syria issue? Another way to put the same question, How much does Assad rely on the iranian regime, as opposed to other bigger world players (russia...)? If the iranian regime dropped support would it change the dynamics in Syria? What about if all external forces did? Or would Assad be able to continue the brutal crackdown even then?

2. If the iranian regime does play a role in the dynamics in Syria, is this something that they would use to negotiate as part of a deal? Would they use it as one of their "cards" as they say? This seems plausible to me. How would the US+others respond to such proposals?

Doubt anyone can answer these questions, but something to think about.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending