The Student Room Group

TSR Foreign Affairs Hub

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement: "We will work with Turkey and other partners to hold the Assad regime accountable.
"It is yet another reflection of the Syrian authorities' callous disregard for international norms, human life, and peace and security."

~SOURCE

Like the time US had complete regard for human life when it shot down a CIVLIAN IRAN AIRLINER, killing all 290 on board, 66 of them children? :rolleyes:

The hypocrisy of the US is unbelievable and the people who support this are even more idiots than US offcials are.
Original post by Aj12
Weapons money and logistical support to the rebels. Further diplomatic cut offs and further much harsher sanctions. That's actually quite a lot Turkey can do without going to war

Turkey, alongside the Saudis and the Qataris, can arm the rebels to the teeth, just as Russia will arm the regime. Sadly, the only arms the rebels will receive are small arms, whilst the regime receives helicopter gunships. £10 says now that I've said that stinger missiles will be sent... :sexface:

Diplomacy is meaningless for the Assad regime when it has China, Iran and Russia propping it up; how Turkey manages to force Russia to distance itself from Syria is beyond me.

As far as sanctions are concerned, though, it seems as if they'll be coordinated by America and Europe, not Turkey.

The only plausible way of the regime falling is if enough of the top brass defect: one General and two Colonels defected yesterday along with thirty odd soldiers, it's a start. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia has pledged to begin paying the FSA's salaries.
Original post by ak137
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement: "We will work with Turkey and other partners to hold the Assad regime accountable.
"It is yet another reflection of the Syrian authorities' callous disregard for international norms, human life, and peace and security."

~SOURCE

Like the time US had complete regard for human life when it shot down a CIVLIAN IRAN AIRLINER, killing all 290 on board, 66 of them children? :rolleyes:

The hypocrisy of the US is unbelievable and the people who support this are even more idiots than US offcials are.

12,000+ dead for more than a year is slightly different to one mistake which killed 290 in a matter of seconds, no?
Reply 1383
Original post by Stalin
12,000+ dead for more than a year is slightly different to one mistake which killed 290 in a matter of seconds, no?

So you're comparing the uprising against a plane shot down?

Why dont you compare a plane shot down (Turkish Fighter Jet) to another plane shot down(Iran Air)? The former were legitmate targets since they were military men, the latter werent.

I hate you people who justify military intervention and the death of civilians (Iran Air in this case).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1384
Original post by ak137
So you're comparing the uprising against a plane shot down?

Why dont you compare a plane shot down (Turkish Fighter Jet) to another plane shot down(Iran Air)? The former were legitmate targets since they were military men, the latter werent.

I hate you scum who justify military intervention and the death of civilians (Iran Air in this case).

The latter was not targeted because it was a civilian air liner. It was believed it was a military target.
Reply 1385
Original post by Aj12
The latter was not targeted because it was a civilian air liner. It was believed it was a military target.

Justifying civilian deaths eh aj?
It still doesnt get away from the fact civilians died. Syria's decision is justified to take down a military target.
Reply 1386
Original post by ak137
It still doesnt get away from the fact civilians died. Syria's decision is justified.

How? Would you support the UK shooting down the odd 5 or 6 if not more Russian bombers that entered our airspace and probed our response times in the past couple of years even though it could easily end in war?
Reply 1387
Original post by Aj12
How? Would you support the UK shooting down the odd 5 or 6 if not more Russian bombers that entered our airspace and probed our response times in the past couple of years even though it could easily end in war?

If they didnt identify themselves, yes the UK has every right to do that. :yy:
(I edited the quote btw).
Original post by ak137
Justifying civilian deaths eh aj?
It still doesnt get away from the fact civilians died. Syria's decision is justified to take down a military target.

You seem fairly pro-Assad, sugar plum, and you're talking about justifying the deaths of civilians?

Go on... justify the deaths of 12,000+ innocent Syrian civilians.
Reply 1389
Original post by Stalin
You seem fairly pro-Assad, sugar plum, and you're talking about justifying the deaths of civilians?

Go on... justify the deaths of 12,000+ innocent Syrian civilians.

Haha the irony of your username and evading my question. Go on then, justify the death of 290 Iranian then? Since I asked you first.

Call me pro-Assad if you helps you sleep at night too. :wink:
Original post by ak137
Haha the irony of your username and evading my question. Go on then, justify the death of 290 Iranian then? Since I asked you first.

Call me pro-Assad if you helps you sleep at night too. :wink:

The aircraft was believed to be a military jet.

Justify the shooting of crowds of innocent civilians, more than 12,000 of them since March of last year. Justify the indiscriminate shelling of densely populated cities. Justify Assad's armed gangs, the shabiha, which have raped, beaten and brutally murdered innocent civilians.

I couldn't care less whether you are pro-Assad or not, but to support him would imply that you've either lost or have never had any sense of morality.
Reply 1391
Original post by Stalin

"believed" key word right there mate. It wasnt, duh.

Justify the shooting of crowds of innocent civilians, more than 12,000 of them since March of last year. Justify the indiscriminate shelling of densely populated cities. Justify Assad's armed gangs, the shabiha, which have raped, beaten and brutally murdered innocent civilians.

I can tell you only take in what the news tells you. The 12K figure includes government forces and pro-government civilians killed by the Salafists terrorists. Forgot that one huh? Its all in the UN reports.

Houla and Qubair was done by the FSA, some say, if you travel to those villages. There is no proof, other than a mans word vs another mans word, that it was indeed the government.

Other than that, there is no justification for such atrocities committed by either side or a military intervention.

I couldn't care less whether you are pro-Assad or not, but to support him would imply that you've either lost or have never had any sense of morality.

I couldn't careless if you're pro-US but to support them indiscriminately using white phosphorus in Fallujah imply that you've either lost or have never had any sense of morality.
Original post by Stalin

Not even a retard can mistake a civilian airliner ascending over Iranian waters for a descending F14 Tomcat. Let alone the most advanced Navy in the world.

(A navy which incidentally during the 1980s had a long history of attacking Iranian ships, oil platforms and so on in its role as Saddam Hussein's best mate. Oh and giving medals to the crew was an especially nice touch btw).
Reply 1393
Original post by Democracy
Not even a retard can mistake a civilian airliner ascending over Iranian waters for a descending F14 Tomcat. Let alone the most advanced Navy in the world.

(A navy which incidentally during the 1980s had a long history of attacking Iranian ships, oil platforms and so on in its role as Saddam Hussein's best mate. Oh and giving medals to the crew was an especially nice touch btw).

That was what the problem was. The technology was advanced. The crew were green, had no idea what they were doing and freaked out when they thought they were under attack. It was a bizarre set of circumstances and the American response of medals and no admittance to what they did was wrong on so many levels. However it was an accident/mistake based on a whole load of factors.
Original post by ak137
"believed" key word right there mate. It wasnt, duh.

Seemingly enough, you don't quite understand the fact that mistakes happen in wars. Innocent civilians died during the Iran-Iraq War - that's part and parcel of war.

I can tell you only take in what the news tells you. The 12K figure includes government forces and pro-government civilians killed by the Salafists terrorists. Forgot that one huh? Its all in the UN reports.

Houla and Qubair was done by the FSA, some say, if you travel to those villages. There is no proof, other than a mans word vs another mans word, that it was indeed the government.

Other than that, there is no justification for such atrocities committed by either side or a military intervention.

Oh dear, we're becoming desperate now, aren't we? You're spewing the same nonsense the giraffe and his minions scream.

There would be no FSA if the government hadn't begun slaughtering innocent civilians every single time they took to the streets to demonstrate peacefully - have you not worked that one out on your own yet?

There's a perfect justfication for a military intervention, be it no-kill zones etc: that of the responsibility to protect.

I couldn't careless if you're pro-US but to support them indiscriminately using white phosphorus in Fallujah imply that you've either lost or have never had any sense of morality.

I don't support the U.S. military.

Spoiler

Give these a watch, tinkerbell, I'm sure you're their biggest fan.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
That was what the problem was. The technology was advanced. The crew were green, had no idea what they were doing and freaked out when they thought they were under attack. It was a bizarre set of circumstances and the American response of medals and no admittance to what they did was wrong on so many levels.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. The fact that the Navy issued one particular story at the time asserting that the plane wasn't in Iranian airspace, only for Admiral William J Crowe to admit this wasn't true a few years later is just one example of why the US' excuse for this incident is total nonsense.

However it was an accident/mistake based on a whole load of factors.

Such factors perhaps being wanting to send a message to the regime to finally accept the ceasefire (which they did a few weeks later) as both sides were broke, could no longer afford to buy weaponry and had been stifling oil production and exports for far too long.
Original post by Democracy

Oh don't get me wrong, I think the 1988 attack was a clear cover-up. As you pointed out, the 'descending' F14 Tomcat could never have been mistaken for an ascending airliner. The fact that the U.S. still hasn't apologised for it, let alone admit that they made a mistake speaks for itself. I was merely giving ak137 the U.S. response to the attack.
Reply 1397
Original post by Stalin
Seemingly enough, you don't quite understand the fact that mistakes happen in wars. Innocent civilians died during the Iran-Iraq War - that's part and parcel of war.

This wasnt a mistake and the fact that you justify it...urgh.

Oh dear, we're becoming desperate now, aren't we? .....

Desperate? Its all in the UN reports mate, you know, the ones you havent closely looked at? :wink:

I don't support the U.S. military.

You supported the Iraq war. If thats not supporting US military, then what is, Id like to know.

Give these a watch, tinkerbell, I'm sure you're their biggest fan.

Mhmhmhm yeah, dead people! Very appetising!
Original post by ak137
Desperate? Its all in the UN reports mate, you know, the ones you havent closely looked at? :wink:

Whether the figure is 9,000, 10,000, 11,000, or 12,000 is irrelevant; what is relevant, however, is the fact that so many civilians have been butchered. And you support that, don't you?

You supported the Iraq war. If thats not supporting US military, then what is, Id like to know.

I supported, and still to this day support, the liberation, and any liberation for that matter, of an oppressed people. Whether the United States military, the Russian military, the Italian military or the Congolese military led the charge I would have still supported it.

Mhmhmhm yeah, dead people! Very appetising!

They're your boys.
Reply 1399
Original post by Stalin
Whether the figure is 9,000, 10,000, 11,000, or 12,000 is irrelevant; what is relevant, however, is the fact that so many civilians have been butchered. And you support that, don't you?

This is what I said before:

Are you blind, trolling or just being stupid (or all of the above)?
Do you support christians getting killed by FSA Salafists who support the government? Ironically, they're killing christians in the name of Islam and democracy.
I supported, and still to this day support, the liberation, and any liberation for that matter, of an oppressed people. Whether the United States military, the Russian military, the Italian military or the Congolese military led the charge I would have still supported it.

Then you are condoning those who have been born deformed from white phosphorus. Your stance is pretty clear - as long as we (westerners) kill civilians, ie: "liberating" them, its okay.

They're your boys.

Yeah man, real funny guy you. Now for the sake of not having further debate and keep this thread as "foreign affairs", lets call this one off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending