The Student Room Group

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by draconia_93
The second continues with the first's warranty, which is up to 3 years (I think). One warning is that if you send it away and they replace it, they'll take away your hard drive (and take away all your saves and games). They did that with mine unfortunately.

It does? I may do a cheeky check and see if they'll do it for free. :yep:

The only time my computer doesn't lag is when you're indoors; anywhere else and it's slow. So probably 50 sheep would make it explode. :eek:

That would be quite funny to watch, though. Just your computer exploding in a mini-mushroom cloud. :cool:
I found toggling the grass off in forests makes it run really smooth. And you can't really tell the difference; in fact, I find it better. The amount of times I've killed something/one and lost their body in the waves of grass and missed out; I dread to think. :dry:

I hated that! Speaking of visual glitches I remember seeing a guard getting the lower half of his body stuck underneath the ground! I don't think he'd be chasing me anytime soon! :tongue:

I'd sit crouch near him and laugh at him. :p: Or set his health to full and make a pincushion out'a him. :colone:

SI was great, the best part of it being Sheogorath. He was hilarious!

He was. And the beard worked well! :colone: That's why they're using them in Skyrim. :cool:! Still, that sword that changed between night and day, that was slick too!
I forget its name/s, though.

Yeah, but if you had the patch then it was with scrolls (far less useful), and the Money was from the Count, a glitch looting a Dorian guy (I think), or selling equipment from your horse in the Kvatch camp. Useful stuff!

Oh yeah, the Dorian one too. I didn't know the equipment selling one? Which was that?
I didn't like how the GotY edition stopped 'em. :dry:

Good idea, but since I play on the xbox I can't do that - usually go invisible/chameleon and just run through, grab the items and get out. Although on this playthrough the loot is good for alchemy/money, so I sometimes kill them.

At least you're getting the kit. :p: I dread to think how much money I missed out on. But seen as I sat and did the Count-Glitch for like, 20 mins? I was set. :cool:

Oblivion gates could've been amazing, instead they're absolutely awful! Shame really!

To be honest, they just became the bane of Oblivion's storyline. Venture past a certain part, and 70% of enemies become Deadra. Not to mention having the damn gates every 100 meters, and thus forcing you to play in that bloody red, dark cloud crap with thunder roaring down the headphones every damn second. :dry:
Original post by DH-Biker
You can combine spells now; double-panic-spell. :yep: Just to make EXTRA sure you've burnt the mother ****ers. :yep:

Inspiration for the spells is supposedly taken from Bioshock which, if true, will be absolutely fantastic! :yep:

Only one way to do it RIGHT. :wink: Otherwise, I kept on reloading the auto-save from outside the front door. :wink: And burst in, knocked over ornaments with a weapon and then mercilessly killed the pair of 'em. :cool:
They aren't the most hospitable pair, are they? Walk in and suddenly you're being assaulted by a Nord Manservant with a ****ing huge Axe with the Elf cackling like a maniac in his ****ing trophy room. :dry:

Yeah. You prepped yourself for a fantastically laid out kill only to find that you can't even see the damage done without being spotted by Grom who's threatening the fallen head with a drawn-weapon. :dry:

They aren't really, but then again you do just barge in through the front door.

And yeah, I found that weird that he would stand guarding the body instead of actually trying to find who did it. Although who really sits underneath a heavy stuffed head?

Literally ROFL'd hearing this for the first time. :p: But at the same time was thinking; "That's some funny ****, but I wonder who the sadistic person was who made this character. :cool:"

If the DB isn't like this in Skyrim I'm going to be really disappointed; the things they say are just brilliant!

I could never get them to fight each other till the last two. Even with full disposition, it wouldn't work. :frown: So I just use to either run rampant in a blood-frenzy or do it sneakily and pick 'em off one by one. :colone: I actually got killed on it once; I think it was the second time: That Red-Guard Captain grabbed his kit and beat me down with a mace. :frown: I was only level 2, though. :colone:

Haha, I was never caught! I usually got them when they were in rooms of their own, so no-one ever knew who was the murderer until too late.

Well there's the whole Dragon-Fire thing, but I guessed at first that was all just spiritual crap. I know what you mean, though: It'll be odd seeing them (such a popular creature in Fantasy) flying around, hunting people in the wilds and attacking places. :colone:

Not till you're really powerful. But it'll be awesome! :biggrin: I can't imagine its use being called on that often, though. :dontknow: I mean, how often in Oblivion did you fight huge groups of enemies?
Although, it will be quite funny to watch them descend down upon like, a mud-crab. :yep:

Unfortunately; you can't ride them. :frown: Just have them kill every enemy nearby. :frown:
I never really used Mods, but I did play a mate's who had the Dragon Mod. There was loading screens every other second, though. :frown:

I've heard that they actually attack cities, I wonder how that'll turn out. Sounds good, since most enemies in Oblivion would be nowhere near the strength of a dragon. I think it would be cool watching like the entire city guard + some citizens trying to attack this massive beast!
It does? I may do a cheeky check and see if they'll do it for free. :yep:

Meant to say, as long as you describe it as RROD then you get the 3 year warranty thing. Otherwise, it's the normal length.

That would be quite funny to watch, though. Just your computer exploding in a mini-mushroom cloud. :cool:
I found toggling the grass off in forests makes it run really smooth. And you can't really tell the difference; in fact, I find it better. The amount of times I've killed something/one and lost their body in the waves of grass and missed out; I dread to think. :dry:

Not really, I need my laptop for when I go to uni! :laugh: So no mini-mushroom cloud for me! Haven't tried toggling the grass, but mind you I don't play it on the pc that much. :cool:

He was. And the beard worked well! :colone: That's why they're using them in Skyrim. :cool:! Still, that sword that changed between night and day, that was slick too!
I forget its name/s, though.

The sword was Dawnfang/Duskfang - pretty awesome idea I must say. And you could glitch and get them both :yep:

Oh yeah, the Dorian one too. I didn't know the equipment selling one? Which was that?
I didn't like how the GotY edition stopped 'em. :dry:

You'd sit on your horse, position yourself so that you could talk to the armour merchant, and then sell your strongest weapon. Since you're sitting on the horse, the weapon won't un-equip, but you'll get the money for it! Rinse and repeat, easy money. Doesn't work with the patch though.

At least you're getting the kit. :p: I dread to think how much money I missed out on. But seen as I sat and did the Count-Glitch for like, 20 mins? I was set. :cool:

That glitch was best for being able to afford the houses. And it was really easy. :cool:

To be honest, they just became the bane of Oblivion's storyline. Venture past a certain part, and 70% of enemies become Deadra. Not to mention having the damn gates every 100 meters, and thus forcing you to play in that bloody red, dark cloud crap with thunder roaring down the headphones every damn second. :dry:

I hated the fact that gates cropped up everywhere! They also ended up killing trainers and other wanderers, and were a downright nuisance. Doubt they'll return in Skyrim, thank goodness! There was Daedra in Morrowind but not quite so much - and they were much, much more difficult to defeat!
Reply 183
Inspiration for the spells is supposedly taken from Bioshock which, if true, will be absolutely fantastic! :yep:

I read this in an interview so it's true! Bioshock spells were genius - you use a fire spell, the enemy lights on fire :eek: Use an electricity spell and they actually were electrocuted :eek: As opposed to most games where using a spell just does a certain amount of damage until the enemy dies :colonhash:

I wanna play Bioshock now :biggrin:
Let me throw this question in here:

What's the first thin you're going to do on Skyrim once you've become "free"? For example in Oblivion, it was leaving the sewers and seeing the north-east of Cyrodil for the first time. :cool:

On Oblivion, every single new game, I went straight for the Aylied Ruin (I forget the name) arrowed the **** out of the two bandits, went down into it and collected everything with money-value, went and sold it, bought armour and weaponry and went-a-cave diving. :colone:

On Skyrim; (assuming the whole climbing the seven-thousand steps isn't an immediate prerequisite for you to earn the full "sand-box" ability to roam); I'm going to find me a ruin, kill the enemies outside it, dive in, grab everything with money-value, sell it, buy armour and weapons (marvel at the whole game's design for a few hours in between these, mind), and go-a-cave-diving; with the sole hope of finding me a spider to slay. :wink:

The first time round that I play, it'll probably be with a focus of completing the main quest, but also happily accepting any other distracting quests I come across on my travels. I'll play it as a roleplay - kill anyone who annoys me, steal whatever looks fancy when nobody's looking, go-a-cave-diving if I'm low on cash and need stuff to sell, and actually become the character. That sounds like it'll be good for immersion and getting addicted to the game. No using UESP to cheat my way through either!

After completing the main quest, I'll put an end to that game and start fresh. But this time I'm on a mission to complete every available quest, maximise every skill I have, collect one of every unique item I can, and generally seeing everything the game has to offer. Of course I have no hope of ever doing this (I'm still in the process of trying to 100% Oblivion), but it makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth :p:
Original post by tface
I read this in an interview so it's true! Bioshock spells were genius - you use a fire spell, the enemy lights on fire :eek: Use an electricity spell and they actually were electrocuted :eek: As opposed to most games where using a spell just does a certain amount of damage until the enemy dies :colonhash:

I wanna play Bioshock now :biggrin:

Brilliant! I really hope the spells do turn out to be as good as those in Bioshock, since I loved how realistic they were! If I'm honest I think the plasmids were better in Bioshock 1 than Bioshock 2, since in the latter they were more clunky and difficult to use, as well as not being as realistic as the first. Would be amazing if they included things into Oblivion like being able to shoot electricity into water to fry your enemies! :cool:
Brilliant! I really hope the spells do turn out to be as good as those in Bioshock, since I loved how realistic they were! If I'm honest I think the plasmids were better in Bioshock 1 than Bioshock 2, since in the latter they were more clunky and difficult to use, as well as not being as realistic as the first. Would be amazing if they included things into Oblivion like being able to shoot electricity into water to fry your enemies! :cool:

One of the first pointers out was how realistic they're going to make the spells.

Instead of just giving enemies a healthy white, blue or red glow, this time they'll actually burn skin, scorch armour, freeze body parts, make them twitch on the floor and stuff. :biggrin:

Bioshock 1 was good, and whilst the atmosphere was definitely better, the game play and overall revamp on Bioshock 2, I thought, was better. The only downside to it was that we'd seen Rapture. Been there, done that. The second was just causing havoc trying to find a little girl. :cool:
Saying that, like I said, overall the 2nd was better. The Little Sisters alone were just awesome! :biggrin:
The choices you made were more clear cut, as well; either leave this person alive, or kill 'em. :redface:
Let me throw this question in here:

What's the first thin you're going to do on Skyrim once you've become "free"? For example in Oblivion, it was leaving the sewers and seeing the north-east of Cyrodil for the first time. :cool:

Original post by tazarooni89
The first time round that I play, it'll probably be with a focus of completing the main quest, but also happily accepting any other distracting quests I come across on my travels. I'll play it as a roleplay - kill anyone who annoys me, steal whatever looks fancy when nobody's looking, go-a-cave-diving if I'm low on cash and need stuff to sell, and actually become the character. That sounds like it'll be good for immersion and getting addicted to the game. No using UESP to cheat my way through either!

After completing the main quest, I'll put an end to that game and start fresh. But this time I'm on a mission to complete every available quest, maximise every skill I have, collect one of every unique item I can, and generally seeing everything the game has to offer. Of course I have no hope of ever doing this (I'm still in the process of trying to 100% Oblivion), but it makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth :p:

To answer the question, usually I sell all the stuff I nabbed from the tutorial dungeon to get some cash, keep the basics and find a bandit/valuable cave. I mostly use light weapons/armour and magic, so just sell off all the heavy stuff for good money. Or failing that, become a member of the Dark Brotherhood and get easy money. :cool:

Ah, but before all this guys, you'll be standing to marvel at the world. The most brilliant part of Oblivion is when you start of as a prisoner, in the relatively dark environment, and when you open the door out of the dungeon. You then step into the living, breathing (and, at the time, graphically awe-inspiring) world and gape at the water, trees, skies, grass etc. :moon:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 188
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Ah, but before all this guys, you'll be standing to marvel at the world. The most brilliant part of Oblivion is when you start of as a prisoner, in the relatively dark environment, and when you open the door out of the dungeon. You then step into the living, breathing (and, at the time, graphically awe-inspiring) world and gape at the water, trees, skies, grass etc. :moon:

Combined with a healthy dose of WTF do I do now?! In a good way!
Reply 189
:hmmm: you cheating kids having to resort to the console to get things done:pierre:

replaying oblivion atm on the pc, loving the dark brotherhood quests all over again:coma:

Spoiler

...prior maberels paint horse got killed by a random bear:cry2: in the xbox version he was invincible:s:
(edited 13 years ago)
One of the first pointers out was how realistic they're going to make the spells.

Instead of just giving enemies a healthy white, blue or red glow, this time they'll actually burn skin, scorch armour, freeze body parts, make them twitch on the floor and stuff. :biggrin:

Bioshock 1 was good, and whilst the atmosphere was definitely better, the game play and overall revamp on Bioshock 2, I thought, was better. The only downside to it was that we'd seen Rapture. Been there, done that. The second was just causing havoc trying to find a little girl. :cool:
Saying that, like I said, overall the 2nd was better. The Little Sisters alone were just awesome! :biggrin:
The choices you made were more clear cut, as well; either leave this person alive, or kill 'em. :redface:

Oh, I don't remember hearing anything about that, but already the spells sound much better. If only they upgrade Telekinesis so you can throw stuff with the same force as in Bioshock - that would be awesome! :biggrin:

I thought in some ways it had improved upon Bioshock and in other ways ruined it. For example, like I said before I felt that the spells were clunky and unrealistic, and the difficulty was perfect in Bioshock (I got a shock when the Big Daddies were much tougher in the 2nd :eek:). Hacking was better, the drill was fun, but the long winded method revolving Little Sisters was much worse - and boring - compared to the 1st game (and the Little Sisters were less creepy looking and cute :tongue:).

I did like the idea of keeping or killing people though. :colone:

Original post by Ape Gone Insane

True, but I only really appreciated things like the scenery on my later playthroughs. Only then did I notice how much detail was actually in this game :love: After a while of playing Morrowind, you realise how beautiful the graphics really are in Oblivion...well...except for people's faces of course

Before that I was too preoccupied with being a thief and a murderer to notice such things.
Original post by vin
:hmmm: you cheating kids having to resort to the console to get things done:pierre:

Not at all. I've played Oblivion through completely on Xbox, and on PC; it was only after doing so twice that I began to use the Console-Commands.

replaying oblivion atm on the pc, loving the dark brotherhood quests all over again:coma:

The Dark Brotherhood are the best faction on Oblivion, I think.

Spoiler

Weak! :p: Get it done. :yep: Then you can take the new ones around with.

...prior maberels paint horse got killed by a random bear:cry2: in the xbox version he was invincible:s:

In the Xbox AND PC version its invincible! It does **** ALL damage, though. Like, less then a Rat/Mud-Crab's.
Reply 192
Not at all. I've played Oblivion through completely on Xbox, and on PC; it was only after doing so twice that I began to use the Console-Commands.

I have to admit that this time I unlocked the door to velen dreath's cell to punch him in the face a few times:mmm: but that's it

In the Xbox AND PC version its invincible! It does **** ALL damage, though. Like, less then a Rat/Mud-Crab's.

:unimpressed: why is mine dead
Original post by vin
I have to admit that this time I unlocked the door to velen dreath's cell to punch him in the face a few times:mmm: but that's it

I never did that. :frown: I did make armies of sheep and begin huge riots, though. :colone:

:unimpressed: why is mine dead

Well, it was possible for them to die if you left them to run into the Great Forest; where it'd find a bear, a minotaur or (depending on how far through the game you were) a Deadroth to pick a fight with. That's just asking for trouble.

Or if you jumped off a cliff that was too high for dear ol' horsey.

For example, I jumped mine off that camp (I forget the name). Highest accessible place in Oblivion without No-Clip or flying mods.
Reply 194

I never did that. :frown: I did make armies of sheep and begin huge riots, though. :colone:

Well, it was possible for them to die if you left them to run into the Great Forest; where it'd find a bear, a minotaur or (depending on how far through the game you were) a Deadroth to pick a fight with. That's just asking for trouble.

Or if you jumped off a cliff that was too high for dear ol' horsey.

For example, I jumped mine off that camp (I forget the name). Highest accessible place in Oblivion without No-Clip or flying mods.

dive rock?:giggle:

I used to ride the horsies up and down cliffs all the time :proud:

oh well Im not too far away from getting shadowmere :h:
Reply 195

I'd do it. Hell, the kid can change their name whenever. Anne Rice changed hers from Howard when she was in the 4th grade, for instance (that was just cruel of her parents), and as names go, it's not as bad as some of them out there.
Original post by Hylean
I'd do it. Hell, the kid can change their name whenever. Anne Rice changed hers from Howard when she was in the 4th grade, for instance (that was just cruel of her parents), and as names go, it's not as bad as some of them out there.

Genuinely? It says a lot about how much someone values their child if they're willing to sell their name for the price of a video game or two.
Reply 197
Original post by FyreFight
Genuinely? It says a lot about how much someone values their child if they're willing to sell their name for the price of a video game or two.

As opposed to someone who names it some pile of crap for no real reason Catch yourself on. It's a pretty cool name, like G8D says, and it's a lot better than some of the names kids have been called. I knew a kid called Phil McCracken. How is Dovahkiin worse than that?! Then there's that silly Swedish family who named their kid a bunch of letters and numbers and gave it an arbitrary pronunciation, and all the rest.

Besides, it's not the price of a video game or two, it's the company's entire back catalogue and future catalogue, for life. Assuming Bethesda don't go bust any time soon, that's a ****load of games right there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 198
Best news evar.
Original post by Hylean
As opposed to someone who names it some pile of crap for no real reason Catch yourself on. It's a pretty cool name, like G8D says, and it's a lot better than some of the names kids have been called. I knew a kid called Phil McCracken. How is Dovahkiin worse than that?! Then there's that silly Swedish family who named their kid a bunch of letters and numbers and gave it an arbitrary pronunciation, and all the rest.

A name should be chosen because the parents think it fits the child best. It not being the worst name you've heard of, isn't a justification for choosing it over something better. Particularly when you're only doing it to win a copy of a video game. 'DeLorean' isn't the absolute worst name I've ever heard of but I'm certainly glad my parents didn't choose it back in 1989 over something better because they thought they might've won a Back To The Future DVD boxset in return.

I think you're taking their post too seriously - the rather huge disclaimer they put at it stressing that it's probably a **** idea is quite genuine.

Quick Reply

Latest