The Student Room Group

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andy Denyer
Anyone got Dawnguard yet? Looks awesome. I haven't because I'm having problems running Skyrim on my PC atm, but as soon as it's sorted out Bethesda can shut up and take my money.
If you're on PC then that's another reason why you haven't got it yet :p: It (and the second DLC, whenever it gets released) is a 360 exclusive for its first month.
Original post by Dalimyr
If you're on PC then that's another reason why you haven't got it yet :p: It (and the second DLC, whenever it gets released) is a 360 exclusive for its first month.

WOT! Ill have to wait for the next one as well?!?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by Ps3SuperSRG
WOT! Ill have to wait for the next one as well?!?

Yup. Bethesda announced at the end of August last year that the first two DLC packs would be exclusive to the 360 for 30 days before being available for the PS3 and PC. Although technically PC owners got the very first bit of DLC (Fall of the Space Core), Dawnguard is considered the first proper DLC.
Do we know what the next one will be yet?

Erm no.

It's been out 7 and a half months, don't expect anything on elder scrolls VI for quite a while.
Original post by cambo211
Erm no.

It's been out 7 and a half months, don't expect anything on elder scrolls VI for quite a while.

No i meant the next dlc:tongue:

Aw why do xbox get it exclusive for 30 days I wanna play dawnguard now!
Original post by TheJ0ker
Aw why do xbox get it exclusive for 30 days I wanna play dawnguard now!

I've heard it's not that great.
Original post by Snagprophet
I've heard it's not that great.

Do you know how much it is?
Original post by TheJ0ker
Do you know how much it is?

Some Yanks I know have been saying $20 and it's not worth it.

This is what he said about it on the Rare Witch Project:

Surprised there hasn't been a thread about it yet. It's not out for PC yet, but it did have a Beta on PC and 360 apparently so I thought someone would at least have mentioned that.

I'll summarize the DLC and my opinions on it in four words: Not worth 20 dollars. From one end of the rainbow to the other is my reasoning.

The best features the DLC offers is the things that should have been in from the start which include craft-able arrows, Dragon Bone Weapons, and improved Werewolfs that can now open doors as well as level up with there own perk tree. While the game gives you the option to become a werewolf again, it only poped up for me once so now I'm stuck with out the best part of the DLC until they fix that, but the worst problems are with the actual quest line.

To avoid plot spoilers I'll refer to this character as broken quest related character. Broken quest related character attacks you on site every time he sees you which means that when you need to finish part of one of the quests where he can't be kneeling, you are out of luck unless you put 2 perks into Illusion to get overcharge and then cast Pacify during which time you must rush through the dialogue with him before he prepares to attack again.

The Soul Carin is a mess. Everything looks the same and the only map you have is the indoor one, so I found myself wandering around constantly trying to find things. I still missed some things in there and now the only way to go back is if I become a Vampire Lord for the 3rd time. The enemies are new, but they are all just repaints of Skeletons, Dragur, and Giants. They did throw in a character from the previous two games for fan service, but good luck finding him near one of the dozens of black buildings.

Before moving on to the next flawed area I'll cover Vampire Lords since I already brought them up. They are only powerful during the night which is from 9:00pm to 5:00am and on top of that are weakened by a quest related partner due to a glitch that is with you for at least 75% of the quest line.

Now for the Forgotten Vale which also is limited to the indoor map. It's large and has numerous teleporters and large numbers of Falmer and a few with new Falmer Heavy Armour as well as Frost Giants. Each of the five Frost Giants carry a giant gem thing that when placed on a teleporter you'll only find through epic mountain climbing will take you to treasure rooms.

The new quest "Lost to the Ages" gives you the option of 3 rewards at the end, but the one would only be chosen by a mage, and the other would only be chosen by someone who misread it's description.

I played down the Dawnguard's side of the quest and got to use the Crossbow and it's a nice edition if you are an archer, but for everyone else it's not much more powerful then your average bow.

Now on to the Dragons. If you don't meet the new Revered Dragon during your time playing you did something wrong. They replace nearly every dragon attack in the game. You'll be lucky to even find a Legendary Dragon. Very few have even seen one yet.

Overall I'd say it's a 6/10. Certainly not worth it's price tag. Maybe $15 tops but it's to lacking in worth while content that actually functions to be worth it's full price. The best parts are the simple things that should have already been in, or are already in mods on the PC.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet
Some Yanks I know have been saying $20 and it's not worth it.

This is what he said about it on the Rare Witch Project:

Yeah that sounds crap for the money, I paid 30 pounds for the game so I'm not gonna pay ~£12 for something with 1/1000 of the content lol
Isn't anyone else a tad annoyed that pc and ps3 gamers have to wait an extra month?
I am really excited by dawnguard, cannot wait to be a vampire lord!
I hope I am not disappointed
Reply 5992
Are there any plans for a GOTY edition?
Original post by Aj12

There probably will be but not until they've released all the DLC they're going to.
Original post by bluebasetech
Isn't anyone else a tad annoyed that pc and ps3 gamers have to wait an extra month?
Nope, not really. Much as I love them, Bethesda unfortunately have a horrible reputation for releasing things in a pretty buggy state. Microsoft's exclusivity deal means 360 owners suffer with the bugs and are essentially the DLC's public beta testers for the PC/PS3 release a month later which will hopefully be less buggy...and as was mentioned in Snagprophet's quote above, what that guy quoted considers to be the 'best features' of the DLC are things like fletching which PC owners added to the game within days (if not hours) of Steam Workshop and the Creation Kit being released so we've had the features available in an unofficial form for free for months :p:
Original post by Aj12

It's very likely there will be one but chances are it wont be out until 2013 at the very least.
Reply 5996
What differences would there be in a GOTY edition?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Ryan_94
What differences would there be in a GOTY edition?

It'll contain any DLC that's been released. That's pretty much it.
Reply 5998
Original post by Dalimyr
It'll contain any DLC that's been released. That's pretty much it.

Ahh right! Well hopefully there will be more DLC.

Reply 5999
Guys I am a skyrim player at the moment only lvl 10 though - just need some advice.

Ok so I'm playing a sneaky assassin type guy, with a bit of magic on the side, and I want to know more about tradeskills i.e. smithing, enchanting, alchemy notably.

1. Do I need smithing? Can I just gain good armour around the world?
2. How can I find more enchanted items to disenchant? I'm finding it difficult at the moment

Quick Reply

Latest