The Student Room Group

Asking Gp for endoscopy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dairygirl224
I had the endoscopy, using the spray. It was fine, but I was told there was no stomach ulcer, and they took 4 biopsies. The pain has now moved to over the ovary area. It feels like a constant period pain, but I dont have them due to the IUS. Does anyone have any experience of pain like this? I have tested positive for H Pylori, but if I dont have an ulcer, I dont need to be treated. I am severely aneamic, so I am clearly bleeding from somewhere, but its not obvious where.

Shocking news.

What is your Haemoglobin level if you are so severely anaemic?
Why must you be bleeding?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
It was down to 8
Are you still being treated by a doctor - if so - why are you still worried?

You have to rule out serious and obvious things first before moving on to rarer and less severe problems..
Reply 23
Im worried because of the pain now in the pelvuc area, and that my symptoms fit ovarian cancer symptoms. Pain/bloating/ feelibg full all time/constipation. And the fact i was told i was bleeding, but no idea where from
Reply 24
I went back to the gp today beacuse i cannot walk up straight or without wincing. My tummy below the navel is extremely sore, untouchable. He said it could be muscular, and just told me to take ibruprofen. I am really scared, I felt a stabbign pain in the ovary, which has stopped atm. It feels like a pulling period pain, but I dont have them becuase I have the mirena/coil/ius. Please, can anyone help me.
I went back to the gp today beacuse i cannot walk up straight or without wincing. My tummy below the navel is extremely sore, untouchable. He said it could be muscular, and just told me to take ibruprofen. I am really scared, I felt a stabbign pain in the ovary, which has stopped atm. It feels like a pulling period pain, but I dont have them becuase I have the mirena/coil/ius. Please, can anyone help me.

The only people that can help you with doctors. You have to just keep pressing ahead with getting help from them, but in the meantime, doing everything you should be yourself, so making sure you are drinking lots of water, eating lots of iron rich food for your iron levels, getting fresh air, and bedrest.

I know how you feel in terms of sort of being ignored and feeling like a test dummy. Past few days have been hell for me, I developed an ear infection. They gave me one antibiotic which didn't do anything, and I got worse so my hearing went and I was in extreme pain. They then put me on another type of antibiotic and pain reliever. Turned out I was allergic to both and had severe reactions I couldn't breathe properly, felt like someone was stabbing me underneath my ribcage, and I couldn't physically move from where I was. Theyve now put me on a different antibiotic and thank god this one is working. So keep persevering.
Not meaning to offer a diagnosis or anything- but it sounds like IBS, irritable bowel. I also would not be certain you are so anaemic because you're bleeding. They don't really seem to think so or you would have gotten an MRI or something. The normal range is 20-a few hundred, not sure of the upper limit. Haemochromatosis- too much iron, is much worse. Below 13 is seen as anaemic. My first symptom of IBS apart from increasing wind was a strong pain in the left abdomen after eating that I couldn't walk straight. Followed quickly be a general abdomen pain, quite severe. Wind, bloating etc. are also very common symptoms. What would be helpful for your GP is if you can describe the pain accurately- waves, constant, does it peak, short and sharp...location- lower left, lower right, centre..etc. and if anything brings it on..ie. eating. The thing is with IBS if that gastroscopies and colonoscopies will show up as normal. They need to rule out stomach ulcer, Coeiliac, crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis first. Biopsies taken will probably have ruled out coeiliac though, as well as ulcer.

Not to say oh it's DEFINITELY IBS but it's an avenue worth exploring. In the meantime I'd recommend Colpermin or peppermint oil tablets/tea. They can help relax the spasming muscles which are causing the pain. (Or probably causing the pain. They would do no harm anyway). Best of luck with getting to the bottom of this.
Reply 27
I am scared for you. Wow, hope you get this sorted out ASAP. Have they done a colonoscopy?
Reply 28
Not yet- I guess it will be next
Not yet- I guess it will be next

Only if they suspect you need one, any indication that it's next? I got both in the same day, under anaesthetic though. A colonoscopy is painful if you're conscious but it's otherwise the same as a gastroscopy. The important difference is that the day before a colonscopy, you have to drink/take a very strong laxative to completely clean you out, as well as the fasting. The most common one is Klean Prep which is beyond disgusting, you're supposed to drink 3-4 litres of it but it depends on your size- I managed less than 2 and it was fine in the end. So basically you need the entire day off before the procedure and the day off after to recover, particularly if you're slim or skinny. Do ask if there's any alternative to Klean Prep if you do get a colonoscopy, worth it.

There IS another type of endoscopy, capsule endoscopy. I got this done, it's a tablet with a camera inside that you swallow and they strap a monitor onto you. 8 hours later they take the monitor off so the camera stops filming, and it passes the next day. I think this is pretty new though and it is only offered in one hospital near me (but I do live near the capital I suppose), and not in private hospitals here. You still have to fast, but no Klean Prep. And no anaesthetic, bedrest, lying around in a ward etc. Might not be offered near you though, not sure how widespread it is in the UK. Also they may want to do a colonoscopy first anyway. (I had both so that the capsule could detect crohn's in the smaller intestine, which neither a gastroscopy or colonoscopy can reach).
Reply 30
You mentioned earlier about having black poo, that is a giveaway. They should definitely be doing a colonoscopy. No question.
Reply 31
I thibk the black poo was iron related. I was on 800mg of iron for 3 weeks, then my iron levels were bck to normal. The pain is non stop- gp just told me to take ibrupofen as much as allowed.
Try peppermint- tea, capsules, or Colpermin tablets. It can help relax spasming muscles, which could well be the cause. There are anti-spasmadic tablets too- Buscopan, Spasmanol and Mebeverine (Colofac) but they're all prescription. Painkillers really are not the best thing here. Activated charcoal can be good too.
Original post by Jamie
Shocking news.

What is your Haemoglobin level if you are so severely anaemic?
Why must you be bleeding?

:rofl:
Original post by ManAbout
You mentioned earlier about having black poo, that is a giveaway. They should definitely be doing a colonoscopy. No question.

A colonoscopy for ?malaena

Really? Are you sure?
Reply 35
Jamie- thanks for posting, but my gp and casualty dr saud I am bleeding somewhere as my levels were so low. Thats why i said i MUST. Be bleeding
Reply 36
Original post by Jamie
A colonoscopy for ?malaena

Really? Are you sure?

Well, the GP is recommending ibuprofen for someone with a ?ulcer, so you never know... :p:
No ulcer was found, but painkillers are still a stupid idea.
Reply 38
Original post by Helenia
Well, the GP is recommending ibuprofen for someone with a ?ulcer, so you never know... :p:
I know what I'd be prescribing...
Reply 39
Original post by Renal
I know what I'd be prescribing...

Do I want to know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending