The Student Room Group

Christian Music?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
It is forbidden.

God never says, "Thou shalt not use mechanical instruments of music in worship." However, to assume that such silence is permissive is presumptuous.

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVarticles/WhereInTheBibleIsInstrumentalMusicForbidden.html
Hmmm, lets see.
Casting Crowns.
Michael W Smith.
Vineyard records.

They would be my top 3 although, there are tens of other artists and hundreds if not thousands of other songs.
Original post by Saichu

Original post by Saichu
By that reasoning, could we be in danger of hypocrisy and falling under the influence of "Satan" by eating out of a TV dinner? Sure, why not.

You didn't need to indicate that your not christian as your obvious ignorance said it for you. When people talk about being 'worldly' is doing and promoting things that go against christianity like racism, hatred, promiscuity things that go against Christian teachings. Christian rock/pop would obviously not fit into these categories because its with christianity and not against it
Reply 63
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
At our church we have a Christian Rock Band, which is AWESOME!
We sing loads of different things, and can do traditional hymns as well as more modernistic songs :-)

We take a lot of inspiration (or you could actually say we "copy") Delirious.. their music is just awesome :-)

What music do you guys listen to?? Do you find it helps when you're going through stressful times, etc?

xxx

Satanic music.
Reply 64
Original post by flowerfan70

Original post by flowerfan70
You didn't need to indicate that your not christian as your obvious ignorance said it for you. When people talk about being 'worldly' is doing and promoting things that go against christianity like racism, hatred, promiscuity things that go against Christian teachings. Christian rock/pop would obviously not fit into these categories because its with christianity and not against it

I think you've misunderstood Saichu's post. He was actually defending Christianity against claims of satanism for pop/rock music. In any case, please refrain from bumping old threads. Thanks :smile:

Original post by JinnJamez
Satanic music.

Don't troll.
Reply 65
Original post by Facticity
I think you've misunderstood Saichu's post. He was actually defending Christianity against claims of satanism for pop/rock music. In any case, please refrain from bumping old threads. Thanks :smile:

Don't troll.

I'm not trolling.
Reply 66

I'm not trolling.

One/two word posts which contain inflammatory content but no elucidation are suspicious. If you weren't, I apologize, however please expand on your post which could be considered insulting to others.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
The only decent 'Christian' song I've heard is DMX's 'Lord Give Me A Sign'. Which is funny because he came from this:

To this:

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by CapnHooch
I was in charge of the music behind a play signifying Jesus's forty days and nights in the desert. Little did the priest know I had organised a medley of Slayer songs...

I laughed very loudly after reading this post :laugh:

umm, I'm not really into many gospel songs even though I'm a Christian. I tend to avoid highly sexual stuff and stuff that's overly offensive, but I would say I tend to listen to secular stuff. There's some really great stuff out there if you look hard enough and if you look past Coldplay. I've been really feeling the recent Dutch Uncles album, Anna Calvi, Everything Everything, but I listen to all sorts really. Looking forward to Maverick Sabre next month.

Gospel artists I admire include Fred Hammond, FaithChild and Kirk Franklin.

Best Christian music is the Gregorian chant :colonhash:
House of Heroes and Thousand Foot Krutch are awesome!!!!!:biggrin:
You lot might quite like some of the power metal bands out there.

One of my favourites, Heavenly:

Then you've got Theocracy, who are explicitly Christian yet still make very good power metal, and Blind Guardian, who, albeit not explicitly Christian, deal with a lot of Judeo-Christian imagery and thematics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh, and Orphaned Land. Technically Jewish stories, but aren't those yours as well?

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Hey everyone!

I'm ecclectic so I will give you some names of Christian musicians from different genres...

Lecrae (who has already been mentioned) He is part of a hip hop group called 116 Clique, which also includes Trip Lee, Tedashii & Ambassador

Da Truth
Mali Music
Kirk Franklin
Israel Haughton
Guvna B (UK)
Jahaziel (UK)
Hillsong Live & Hillsong United
Jesus Culture
Kari Jobe
Chris Tomlin
Planetshakers
Anthony Evans
Coko
Kierra Sheard
Byron Cage
Tenth Avenue North
Deitrick Haddon
Delirious
George Huff
Onitsha
Tim Hughes
Ben Cantelon
Tye Tribett
Trin-I-Tee 5:7
Byron Cage
Vashawn Mitchell
Victizzle
William McDowell

Hope this is helpful for you all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Since Rock/Metal is getting a bit of stick I thought I'd back it up with one band: Becoming the Archetype. I can imagine all Gods angels headbanging along with this worship. And to all you saying that rock/metal do not mix I say to you never has the hymn 'How great thou art' been sung so passionately. Although I will admit not everybody will appreciate this music, genre or band as it is ultimately come dow to opinion.
Reply 75
Original post by FrigidSymphony
You lot might quite like some of the power metal bands out there.

You have just enriched my life:biggrin:
Reply 76
Original post by B-Man.
The only decent 'Christian' song I've heard is DMX's 'Lord Give Me A Sign'.
Take 6 are decent - the only "Christian music" I have heard that is really notable. (And I have listened to a lot of music.) The genre in general has a great fondness for kitsch.

DMX is good but he's not a tier 1 rapper - he's no 2pac or biggie.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
Love some songs by Audrey Assad. Also casting crowns :smile:
hmn.. I dun see any mention of TobyMac here though. :smile: He is an amazing christian singer.
Heres a Vid of one of his songs, City on Our Knees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG-6TizB-HE&feature=related
(edited 12 years ago)
I had a Christian music group that would come to my local youth church group every so often about 10 years ago under the name of TVB! http://www.cwherald.com/archive/archive/christian-rock-at-appleby-school-20050212261097.htmI knew one of the band members, and was so proud of the musical talents from the group.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending