The Student Room Group

Alevel mock results

Basically I have just gotten most of my mocks back, i'm quite disappointed in myself, though I got CCD, the subjects graded C were both one mark off a B. However , I have been predicted AAB, possibly even A*AB as this is what I have been working at through Year 12.

My parents have very high expectations due to the fact that I have received A*s and As in assessments and homeworks before, and I am afraid of what their reactions will be when they see my gradecard at the end of the year. Even though my UCAS predicted grades will be the most important piece of information of the paper, I know they will focus on my lower grades.

They have a history to take everything away from me when I get low grades or when I don't meet their expectations, including my phone, laptop, and not allowing me to leave the house to see friends during holidays. It is inevitable now that they will see my latest mock grades and do the same routine this year, even though I really thought I did well in these mocks.

Ultimately I am just afraid that I will feel the most alone this summer, that I cannot see my friends before my last year in school. I don't know how to convince them that I really worked hard in these exams.
Original post by julesrrrr67
Basically I have just gotten most of my mocks back, i'm quite disappointed in myself, though I got CCD, the subjects graded C were both one mark off a B. However , I have been predicted AAB, possibly even A*AB as this is what I have been working at through Year 12.

My parents have very high expectations due to the fact that I have received A*s and As in assessments and homeworks before, and I am afraid of what their reactions will be when they see my gradecard at the end of the year. Even though my UCAS predicted grades will be the most important piece of information of the paper, I know they will focus on my lower grades.

They have a history to take everything away from me when I get low grades or when I don't meet their expectations, including my phone, laptop, and not allowing me to leave the house to see friends during holidays. It is inevitable now that they will see my latest mock grades and do the same routine this year, even though I really thought I did well in these mocks.

Ultimately I am just afraid that I will feel the most alone this summer, that I cannot see my friends before my last year in school. I don't know how to convince them that I really worked hard in these exams.

Hiii, I'm a Yr 13 who has just finished A-Level. So before I get into the situation with your parents, on a more academic side, please reflect on your mocks and what were your weaknesses and strengthens in understanding of AS content and application of exam techniques. Maybe for you it was less of an understanding issue and maybe your feeling burnout or maybe the exam setting threw you off. Don't stress out too much about this as all of us academics have gone through dips in grades at one point or another.

Whilst I mean it is good to revise over summer and your parents may have good intentions, you need your summer for a break. Try and get your teachers to attest for you, like explain to your parents that this is just a blip in your grades and that you are a hard worker capable of good grades (like you have shown in previous exams). If your school submits an annual report hopefully it will have some good comments about you in there that you can also show your parents. Also you could come up front to them and explain what it was that made you not perform as well as you hoped, and how maybe the step up to A-Levels needs you to take time to adjust and alter your way of revising (because A-Levels is very different to GCSEs as I am sure you already know). Come up with an arrangement with them, where you promise to revise but also need that downtime to go hang out with friends and clear your mind.

You may not be Christian, but I am and I feel the Holy Spirit would like me to leave you with this verse: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Hopefully this can help you in your situation, I pray they are not too harsh. If you have any questions please don't be afraid to ask me <3
Reply 2
Original post by MsBobatea123
Hiii, I'm a Yr 13 who has just finished A-Level. So before I get into the situation with your parents, on a more academic side, please reflect on your mocks and what were your weaknesses and strengthens in understanding of AS content and application of exam techniques. Maybe for you it was less of an understanding issue and maybe your feeling burnout or maybe the exam setting threw you off. Don't stress out too much about this as all of us academics have gone through dips in grades at one point or another.

Whilst I mean it is good to revise over summer and your parents may have good intentions, you need your summer for a break. Try and get your teachers to attest for you, like explain to your parents that this is just a blip in your grades and that you are a hard worker capable of good grades (like you have shown in previous exams). If your school submits an annual report hopefully it will have some good comments about you in there that you can also show your parents. Also you could come up front to them and explain what it was that made you not perform as well as you hoped, and how maybe the step up to A-Levels needs you to take time to adjust and alter your way of revising (because A-Levels is very different to GCSEs as I am sure you already know). Come up with an arrangement with them, where you promise to revise but also need that downtime to go hang out with friends and clear your mind.

You may not be Christian, but I am and I feel the Holy Spirit would like me to leave you with this verse: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Hopefully this can help you in your situation, I pray they are not too harsh. If you have any questions please don't be afraid to ask me <3

Thank you for the reply! Yes I was feeling very stressed during the exams, the week after I had seriously never felt more tired in my life!

Thank you for the tip as well, I will for sure ask my teachers to advocate for me and say that it was just a dip in my grades. I am not sure my parents will allow me out, as they are very strict. I am sort of just making use of my days with my phone and music lol i'm sort of getting used to the fact that I won't have any more social time, but I will use this time wisely over the summer! Hopefully they could see my friends at least once, as this is the last summer time I will see them before uni, as I am away next summer.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the setting of the exam hall or just the idea of mocks gets me very anxious overall. I am not a Christian but thank you for your support! :smile:
Original post by julesrrrr67
Thank you for the reply! Yes I was feeling very stressed during the exams, the week after I had seriously never felt more tired in my life!

Thank you for the tip as well, I will for sure ask my teachers to advocate for me and say that it was just a dip in my grades. I am not sure my parents will allow me out, as they are very strict. I am sort of just making use of my days with my phone and music lol i'm sort of getting used to the fact that I won't have any more social time, but I will use this time wisely over the summer! Hopefully they could see my friends at least once, as this is the last summer time I will see them before uni, as I am away next summer.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the setting of the exam hall or just the idea of mocks gets me very anxious overall. I am not a Christian but thank you for your support! :smile:

Hahaha your welcome! That is a good idea to enjoy your freedom now :smile:

For the future in Yr 13 make sure you take regular breaks because Yr 13 is a bit more intense learning wise and you have more things on your plate like your UCAS application. If you don't already make a revision timetable so you schedule in time for breaks to avoid burnout, whilst also doing revision for the day.The last thing you want to do is burnout out for your actual A-Levels so keep this in mind.

Also in just before an exam have some sort of calming ritual to ease yourself, before you go in. For me, that would be scrolling through Insta, talking to friends (ones that aren't stressed about the exam though XD), going to the toilet XD, and most importantly praying. For you that maybe be taking deep breaths in and out, or listening to some calming music. Find something that works for you and get used to being in an exam setting. A good way to do this is do mock papers without a phone, music, distractions, just you and your paper (although wait to use your papers closer to your exams). Hopefully when you come to your actual exams you will feel like your just doing a paper in bedroom!

Hopefully this helps <3

Quick Reply

Latest