The Student Room Group

Christian Music?

At our church we have a Christian Rock Band, which is AWESOME!
We sing loads of different things, and can do traditional hymns as well as more modernistic songs :-)

We take a lot of inspiration (or you could actually say we "copy") Delirious.. their music is just awesome :-)

What music do you guys listen to?? Do you find it helps when you're going through stressful times, etc?

xxx

EDIT: This thread is in the religion forum, aimed at Christians, so if you're not interested/think it's stupid/aren't a Christian/are a troll then don't reply!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apologetix, although delirious is, of course, nice.
Apparently As I Lay Dying are considered Christian Metalcore...

Interestingly, I never knew they were. Used to listen to them semi-occasionally but then discovered grindcore :colone:

NB: I'm not actually a christian, AILD just make me feel almost nostalgic.
Reply 3
I was in charge of the music behind a play signifying Jesus's forty days and nights in the desert. Little did the priest know I had organised a medley of Slayer songs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GPpx9oINsI

^ Forgot to add into OP my favourite vid. Oops. Having a bit of a blonde moment so can't remember how to embed vids :'(

LOVE IT! :-)
I really like a lot of the American bands at the moment - Jesus culture and Israel Houghton for worship music, relient k, kutless, Tobymac and group 1 crew for other genres. Although that might be more to do with all my favourite British bands splitting up over the last year or two (yfriday, thebandwithnoname, delirious? etc).
I find listening to a soul survivor/spring harvest album really helps before an exam though :smile:
Reply 6
Loosely categorised from most worship like to least, most of this is available on Spotify aside from the ones I've starred

Worship:

Rend Collective Experiment

Soul Survivor

Kutless

Phil Wickham

Passion conference albums

Hillsong*

Tim Hughes

Ben Cantelon

Worship central

Jesus Culture*

Matt Redmond

Misty Edwards

Mix worship/ mainstream Christian

Gungor

Rush of fools

Jon Foreman

Jars of Clay

Lecrae

Christian mainstream:

Switchfoot

Sanctus real

relient k

Skillet

Christian Influenced

Creed

Lifehouse

Mumford and Sons

Athlete

Hope that's helpful and I would agree that some of the categories are up for debate
Reply 7
Tim Hughes is all you need :smile:
Reply 8
I listen to Underoath, that's about it. I'm not a Christian myself but I like the honesty and positivity in their lyrics.
Reply 9
Original post by Gemma :)!
At our church we have a Christian Rock Band, which is AWESOME!
We sing loads of different things, and can do traditional hymns as well as more modernistic songs :-)

We take a lot of inspiration (or you could actually say we "copy") Delirious.. their music is just awesome :-)

What music do you guys listen to?? Do you find it helps when you're going through stressful times, etc?

xxx

I agree Christian rock music is awesome. I don't like the normal rock music /heavy metal though.
The Church I go to has a black African pastor and a lot of black people attend it so we have a lot of dancing,role-playing and loads of gospel music. its great. I have been a member of this church for about 10 years now.

I also like the UK top 40 hits, Rap, some soul music, Michael Jackson, Anything really except heavy metal trash

Yes it does help to relieve stress
(edited 13 years ago)

One of the best songs ever.

Despite my beliefs, this song always gets me going.
Especially with the bass turned up.
Is Christian rock, rap, pop etc simply not taken from the "worldly" - that is, influenced by "Satan".

Could many of you be in danger of hypocrisy and falling under the influence of "Satan" in "Christian" music??

P.S. I am not Christian, but it does amuse me how many "Christians" are so of the world.
Reply 12
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Is Christian rock, rap, pop etc simply not taken from the "worldly" - that is, influenced by "Satan".

Could many of you be in danger of hypocrisy and falling under the influence of "Satan" in "Christian" music??

P.S. I am not Christian, but it does amuse me how many "Christians" are so of the world.

By that reasoning, could we be in danger of hypocrisy and falling under the influence of "Satan" by eating out of a TV dinner? Sure, why not.
Try Dana Glover

I swear your post makes no sense?
If the only reason that you listen to a band is due to that they're christian then you like them for the wrong reasons. Anyway, I think Skillet comes into this category? They're pretty good.
Original post by Saichu

Original post by Saichu
By that reasoning, could we be in danger of hypocrisy and falling under the influence of "Satan" by eating out of a TV dinner? Sure, why not.

By watching television itself, you are already under the influence of "Satan", as "Satan" is the "current ruler of this world", no?
I love the usual artists, like Matt Redman, Tim Hughes, Hillsong... think my favourite Christian song has got to be The Stand. Also love Delirious, saw them a few years ago before they broke up, and they were incredible! :smile:
Reply 18
By watching television itself, you are already under the influence of "Satan", as "Satan" is the "current ruler of this world", no?

Who cares about watching television, when your reasoning tells us that merely eating out of a TV dinner is enough to corrupt us under his influence.
Original post by supernova92

Original post by supernova92
I swear your post makes no sense?

It makes perfect sense.

When rock first began to rear its head, the Christian church were so against it and called it evil and devilish - something not hard to believe then.

Now, it is incorporated into the Christian tradition too - hence Christian rock, pop etc - just because the lyrics speak of "God", does not necessarily mean it is "good"...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending