The Student Room Group

Anyone had an interview at UCA Epsom?

Hi guys,

I've got an interview with UCA Epsom for Graphic Design:NM this week... I wasn't really worrying over it until I took the time to read the details of the interview which I stupidly should've done much earlier.

I'm a little scared about how they'll look through my portfolio without me, so I know I have to present and label everything clearly; and I'm scared about the interview about it afterwords.

What I'm confused about is the 'written piece' they've asked for... does anyone know if this has to be design related? ...But maybe that's a stupid question, cus even if that's not necessary, I'm sure they'd prefer something GD-related.

Um, so I'm here to ask if anyone has had an interview with UCA Epsom yet, and what it was like, and what the written piece you presented was.

Thank you for your help!
Good luck with your uni apps.
Hey, I've had an interview and been given a place on a Foundation course at Epsom so it might not be exactly the same, but I'll give my experience :smile:

I was pretty worried about it all too, I put my finals and sketchbooks in the portfolio and labeled everything so they'd know which book relates to which piece. After I handed my portfolio in for them to look at with the two other students, I had to wait around 20 minutes before they called me in, but when I went in I don't think they looked through a lot of sketch books so I wouldn't worry about bringing in loads that don't relate to your finals.

The interview itself was very relaxed and friendly so theres no need to worry about that at all! They just commented on what they liked about my work, how I could improve at it and gave me a few artists/designers to look at who worked in a similar style. They then just wanted to know why I was interested in the course and I talked through one of my pieces. I was also asked if I had any questions about the course which I didn't, but if I were you I'd have a few ready because I kinda thought it might make me seem a little uninterested!

I didn't have to submit a written piece but I'd guess it should be related to Graphic Design, in A2 photography this year I had to complete an essay so if you have anything like that I'm sure it would be good enough.

As I said the whole interview makes it seem a lot more daunting than it actually is, so I'm sure you'll be fine!

Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Thank you so much for trying to reassure me, haha.

I'm glad they sound pretty friendly... I went there for an open day and the directors of the course kinda scared me.

Congratulations on getting an offer =)
Thank you for sharing your experience; I'll try my best.

Quick Reply

Latest