The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Economics and Politics Applicants '11 - any responses?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SamAM93
Then again, the Economics department is better at Manchester. That said, I'm not sure if I much fancy the bredth of the Manchester degree. I genuinely couldn't give less of a **** about Sociology.

I didn't realise Sheffield offered Study Abroad and Employment Experience. Even if you can't do both, that's pretty sweet.

I suppose the question is, after Uni, does a Manchester degree look much better than a Sheffield degree? Manchester probably does have a higher reputation, but how much does that matter to people who know what they're talking about?

I doubt they would distinguish between the two. Both being Russel Group/Redbrick. I think that they would take other things into consideration, degree classification, work experience and the likes.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by WalkerFromWolves
They did. I think they mentioned that everyone who opted to do a year in employment pretty much got a job straight after their degree finished. However, whilst they do give you support and guidlines they expect you to do all the work in terms of actually finding and securing a placement.

I applied to Leeds and Birmingham for the same course, both rejected me. So I'll be putting sheffs down as my firm choice..

Year in employment? Tell me more! :smile: Is this only for Econ and Pol students, because I've applied for just straight Pol and haven't heard anything about this.
Reply 22
Original post by impossible!
Year in employment? Tell me more! :smile: Is this only for Econ and Pol students, because I've applied for just straight Pol and haven't heard anything about this.

I don't think it is available for straight Politics students, on the sheff website Economics and Politics says:

You also have the opportunity to do a year-long work placement between levels two and three. Students who successfully complete the placement year will graduate with an amended degree title to reflect this - for example, BA (Honours) Economics and Politics with Employment Experience.

I can't see anything like this on the Politics page. Sorry mate.
Original post by impossible!

I'm going to have to disagree with sam here. Whilst I can't provide any evidence, the lecturers taking the open day never specified that it was limited to Econ+Pol students. Infact now that you've mentioned it I rerember them mentioning that some students from other courses effectively turn their course into one with a sandwhich year.
Reply 24
Original post by WalkerFromWolves
I'm going to have to disagree with sam here. Whilst I can't provide any evidence, the lecturers taking the open day never specified that it was limited to Econ+Pol students. Infact now that you've mentioned it I rerember them mentioning that some students from other courses effectively turn their course into one with a sandwhich year.

If they said so at the open day, you're probably right. The sheffield website lied to me...
I got an offer a week or two ago for L100 Economics.
I am doing the IB, my conditional offer is 33 points with a minimum of 4 in HL English and 4 in SL Math.
Thinking of firming it.

Good luck to you guys who haven't heard anything (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending