The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingkev
I think he is more aggressive as the game goes on, especially against the top players. I mean he wouldn't have reached three slam finals if he wasn't.

He needs to be more aggressive if he wants to actually win a grand slam rather than continue to be the runner up. And I'm not sure Murray has this in him. He just reverts to type, plays defensively and hopes for errors, forced and unforced from his opponent.

He has been thoroughly bum raped in those 3 slam finals, from Federer and Djokovic, largely because Murray wasn't at all aggressive and chose to be passive throughout. He won't win anything major any time soon if he continues to play major finals in this manner.
Reply 581
Original post by white_haired_wizard
He needs to be more aggressive if he wants to actually win a grand slam rather than continue to be the runner up. And I'm not sure Murray has this in him. He just reverts to type, plays defensively and hopes for errors, forced and unforced from his opponent.

He has been thoroughly bum raped in those 3 slam finals, from Federer and Djokovic, largely because Murray wasn't at all aggressive and chose to be passive throughout. He won't win anything major any time soon if he continues to play major finals in this manner.

Yep this is true, however he played great tennis leading up to those finals, he just needs to get his head in gear when he plays these finals and recover that form. I know it's easier said than done esp against the Nadals and Djokos but I think he can do it.
Have to agree again Whw, far too passive from Murray and he was in really shaky territory as late as 3-4 in the second set. He was playing far too many neutral balls with nothing on them, typically emanating from his forehand and getting eaten up for winners by Gimeno-Traver who really went for his shots. There are moments in rallies where the opportunity arises to take control of the point - where you know Fed-Nad-Djok would jump on it - but Murray waits far too long to step up the aggression. Sure he does it very well when he takes the initiative but most of the time he waits for players to miss, which doesn't always happen as we've seen several times before in other grand slams.

A less than convincing performance although the British media will have the usual **** over it.
I think it's a little premature and negative to go around claiming things like Murray will never win a grand slam. Players with far less fire in their belly and skill have done it in the past, he's only 24 and he shows no signs of giving up his consistent place in the top 4-5 of tennis players at any given moment. He has had to deal with an incredibly british support base who seem to regard every loss in a slam as an unforgivable failure. So he's a little shaky in the first round. So what? Nadal and Federer have shaky early round encounters all the time. Anyone remember nadal's run in with Istomin last year, or Federer with Falla? No-one took that as all that big of a deal back then, and this performance says nothing about Murray.

I believe he'll win slams, he believes he'll win slams and he's fantastic at tennis. It's a matter of time, and maybe we'd all have a bit more fun watching him improve and challenge for slams and we weren't all so damn negative about it.
Original post by Sirocco11
Have to agree again Whw, far too passive from Murray and he was in really shaky territory as late as 3-4 in the second set. He was playing far too many neutral balls with nothing on them, typically emanating from his forehand and getting eaten up for winners by Gimeno-Traver who really went for his shots. There are moments in rallies where the opportunity arises to take control of the point - where you know Fed-Nad-Djok would jump on it - but Murray waits far too long to step up the aggression. Sure he does it very well when he takes the initiative but most of the time he waits for players to miss, which doesn't always happen as we've seen several times before in other grand slams.

A less than convincing performance although the British media will have the usual **** over it.

A 'cracking' performance in the end, according to one BBC man interviewing Murray post-match. I think that idiot needs to put things into perspective and realize that Murray was evidently playing against an injured player in those last two sets.

I want to see Murray win a Grand Slam but whilst Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are aorund, he simply won't, IMO. He's also got to be very wary of Soderling, Del Pot and a few others on grass. Raonic's serve looked downright frightful yesterday, also...

we shouldn't forget about Berdych either.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 585
Straussy was loving all that female attention on centre court :sexface: (anyone watching Rezai - Williams will understand).
Reply 586
Original post by kingkev
Straussy was loving all that female attention on centre court :sexface: (anyone watching Rezai - Williams will understand).

I watched bits of that match but must have missed this, what happened? :colondollar:
Reply 587
Original post by Rachael.
I watched bits of that match but must have missed this, what happened? :colondollar:

Lol he was just surrounded by cricket wags I think, I noticed his and KP's wife, not sure who the others were though. They seemed to be having a right old laugh and Strauss seemed to be rather jolly haha.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
A 'cracking' performance in the end, according to one BBC man interviewing Murray post-match. I think that idiot needs to put things into perspective and realize that Murray was evidently playing against an injured player in those last two sets.

I want to see Murray win a Grand Slam but whilst Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are aorund, he simply won't, IMO. He's also got to be very wary of Soderling, Del Pot and a few others on grass. Raonic's serve looked downright frightful yesterday, also...

we shouldn't forget about Berdych either.

One of the reasons why I tipped Raonic for a deep run, though, as I said in this thread last week, I did revise that sentiment when it became clear that he would probably be facing Nadal in the 3rd round.
Reply 589
Original post by TheMagicRat
One of the reasons why I tipped Raonic for a deep run, though, as I said in this thread last week, I did revise that sentiment when it became clear that he would probably be facing Nadal in the 3rd round.

Do you take part in the Battle of the Boards competition? I've picked Raonic for the upset against Nadal, which might be a bit closer to reality if its raining and they play under the roof. No wind to affect Raonic's big serve.

Jus' sayin' I'll get a ton of points if it happens :colondollar:
Reply 590
Well Raonic won't be making a deep run now, he had to retire in his match against Muller because of a thigh injury. Such a shame, would have been a cracking match against Nadal :frown:
Hahah murry's about to lose :rofl:
I retract my previous comment.
Reply 593
Original post by Hood_Man
Do you take part in the Battle of the Boards competition? I've picked Raonic for the upset against Nadal, which might be a bit closer to reality if its raining and they play under the roof. No wind to affect Raonic's big serve.

Jus' sayin' I'll get a ton of points if it happens :colondollar:

...oops! Gutted, absolutely gutted. Hopefully it's not too serious and he can be ready for the hard court season again in August.

A lot of guys are slipping it seems.
Reply 594
Amazing come back from Soderling.
Reply 595
With Wimbledon over it is back to the general tennis talk.

Am giving serious consideration to attending the ATP world finals in November, but i am just curious how the players qualify for this (Nadal and Djokovic have already qualified).

Also been looking at the rankings and between Del Potro in 18th and Monfils in 7th there is a gap of less than 1200 points. With Del Potro looking good again, does anybody else think that he may be able to get upto 7th by the end of August (2 Masters and the US Open during August).
I play like Murrey; strong, focused, cocky, and always lose on big matches.
Original post by Rakas21

Am giving serious consideration to attending the ATP world finals in November, but i am just curious how the players qualify for this (Nadal and Djokovic have already qualified).

Also been looking at the rankings and between Del Potro in 18th and Monfils in 7th there is a gap of less than 1200 points. With Del Potro looking good again, does anybody else think that he may be able to get upto 7th by the end of August (2 Masters and the US Open during August).
Pretty sure it's just the top 8. Really good tournament I went to the semi finals last year, it was really funny. The technology side of things is awesome, with Hawkeye and the scrolling messages between the tiers.

Considering going this year again, but the prices are pretty high I paid £35 for pretty reasonable seats, but only booked about 2 beforehand.
Reply 598
Original post by Rakas21

Hmmm tough one, he might be able to. He doesn't have any points at all to defend at the 2 masters and the US Open, but there are 2 more masters as well after the US Open; Paris and Shanghai, both on hardcourts. I thnik Martin might JUST make it into the top 8.

Wow this thread is slow. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's based on points won this year, as opposed to rankings. As Djokovic and Nadal have qualified, I think they have accumulated so many points this year, that they are guaranteed to be at least 7th or 8th.

Latest