The Student Room Group

I have a Cold :(

Hi. I think I have a cold. Blocked nose,Sneezing and feeling like crap.

I know it isnt the end of the world and I wont die but :

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to make it as less horrible as possible. Plus I want to go to college. I dont like missing days off college.

Any tips and remedies I can use. Best remedy gets rep and maybe TSR Riches/Credits.

Cheers

Jonny :yy:

Scroll to see replies

It's a cold. Man up.
Reply 2
hot drinks/ soup
lemsips/ beechams
take vitamin c tablets or drink orange juice, anything with high vitamin C
although if its just come, take that first defence stuff

Original post by ktm89
hot drinks/ soup
lemsips/ beechams
take vitamin c tablets or drink orange juice, anything with high vitamin C
although if its just come, take that first defence stuff

my parents dont believe in vicks first defence. I do but have no monayyy to buy it :frown: When the family comes back from the shop I may get some Beechams or Lemsip :tea:
Reply 4
Grow some balls and deal with it like everyone else.
Reply 5
Drink a lemsip which contains both painkiller and a decongestant, you'll feel grand afterwards.
And rub some vicks vapour rub on your chest and neck to help you breathe at night. :h:

And also take some vitamins with vit C and zinc to help you recover quicker!
Chicken soup :smile: It is the food of the gods.
As paracetamol can be quite lame especially coming towards the end of the 4 hour dose seperation if I have a bad cold (or, to be honest, usually period pain) I take paracetamol and nurofen/ibuprofen spaced by about 2 hours so I'm still taking paracetamol every 4/6 hours and ibuprofen every 4/6 hours but the overlap means they work together (that's only good if you have ibuprofen and paracetamol in the house and you don't get mixed up and forget which ones you took last, you still have to be careful and take notice of the daily dosage limits too).

Alternatively, chocolate usually helps me...
Original post by BooBerryMuffin
Chicken soup :smile: It is the food of the gods.

I've heard that it works very well
I have a cold as well and it's gone to my ears and I can barely hear a word even when I'm speaking. It feels really scary not being able to hear. The doctor has said that I have an ear infection and has given me some antibiotics. I hope that they work soon as this is driving me crazzzzzyyy!!!!!!
Original post by Inspector Jonny

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to make it as less horrible as possible. Plus I want to go to college. I dont like missing days off college.

Any tips and remedies I can use. Best remedy gets rep and maybe TSR Riches/Credits.

Cheers

Regarding your sig, I'm nowhere near Glasgow. I'm in Belfast. HA. ;-)

:colondollar:
Hot blackcurrant juice. Seriously, I swear it works wonders :yy:
Other than that, hot water, fresh lemon and little bit of sugar is good too.
drink/eat hot stuff - warm milk, soup, tea, custard, stew ect,

keep warm - thick socks and hoodies

hold your head over a bowl of hot water with some lemon or other decongestant in for a while to clear your sinuses,

try honey and lemon, ginger tea or hot ribena!!

try sleeping well and long tonight to help your body recover.

have fun getting better!!
Orange Juice, Warm Chicken/Vegetable Soup, Lemsip 8 Hour Night Relief to survive the night,Lockets (the nasty green ones) for daytime relief.

You could try a small dose of that fizzy paracetamol for daytime which also helps and errm Garlic.Really unblocks the nose, though smells God awful, hence I still avoid it during colds.
Good Luck and get well soon :smile:
Reply 14
nasal spray seems to do the trick for me. One squirt up each nostril and 20 mins later i'm back to normal for 8-12 hours
:doctor:

lol jk, you'll be wasting NHS resources
Hot orange juice with manuka honey in it. I had an awful sore throat and cold right before a show in which I had to sing a solo and do a lot of shouting and acting. My symptoms disappeared and didn't come back until the next evening, it really worked well for me :smile:
Original post by Inspector Jonny

Cheers

Sleep with an extra pillow :smile: meant to help keep your nose clear but not sure if it works as I haven't tried it
Original post by mysecretidentity
As paracetamol can be quite lame especially coming towards the end of the 4 hour dose seperation if I have a bad cold (or, to be honest, usually period pain) I take paracetamol and nurofen/ibuprofen spaced by about 2 hours so I'm still taking paracetamol every 4/6 hours and ibuprofen every 4/6 hours but the overlap means they work together (that's only good if you have ibuprofen and paracetamol in the house and you don't get mixed up and forget which ones you took last, you still have to be careful and take notice of the daily dosage limits too).

Alternatively, chocolate usually helps me...

Rep for having Lea in your sig <3
Reply 19
****ing can unlock your nose for a moment! And i'm serious...
Other than that have a healthy sweet orange!

Quick Reply

Latest