The Student Room Group

Games Design Interview!

I've applied to do games design at Uclan and they've asked me to come along to an interview

Anybody know what kind of questions they'll ask or what this type of course look for in a portfolio??
Reply 1
Hey! Congratulations on getting an interview I hope it goes well for you!

I can't really help with the interview questions as I haven't had an interview for games design yet, but I will imagine they will ask you why you've picked that course, future career aspirations, maybe things like that.

As for the portfolio I've prepared my portfolio for two game art courses, I was told to include, sketches of buildings using perspective, sketches of landscapes, still life, life drawing, character designs and traditional painting. Things that you can include if you're able to is stuff like digital paintings, 3D artworks and sculptures.
I'm not sure whether game art and game design are that different but there's a starting point! Normally the university send you an e-mail/letter telling you what they expect in a portfolio. I hope this has helped you out a bit and good luck with your interview! :smile:
They'll almost certainly ask you what companies and games and such you like, what inspires you, and where you'd like to work. For the love of god, say something other than one of the big companies, because it'll show a little research and interest, and make you stand out.

Also, perspective drawings and life drawings are a fantastic thing to show, because an understanding of perspective and how to draw are critical for most 3D professions, but especially games artists where you will be expected to create concepts and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest