The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Perhaps there are some universities, but none that I've seen. Most require you to be a certain age (eg. 26) and have at least three years of professional managerial experience. I'd imagine if you can get into an MBA program right after university, then it can't be too credible.
Reply 2
Not to one that's worth doing!
brabzzz
Not to one that's worth doing!

Harvard and Stanford take people straight after their undergrad degrees. Granted it's only a few people though.

Then again, why one would do an MBA without any work experience is beyond me, unless perhaps to set up own a business or take over a family run one or something.
Reply 4
howbout masters in finance ?
Most top MBA schools require at least 3 years of corporate experience. However, it's common at the well-respected Indian Institute of Management (IIM) schools to do an MBA straight after undergrad/masters - they then enter an IB at 'Senior Analyst' level and typically get promoted to Associate level 1 year later.
Reply 6
any institutions in the US or UK not requiring any work experience ?

thanks
mynameis

thanks

I should think so... best to do your own research :wink:

But as has been said, although you might be able to do the MBA, it's not going to be a 'good' or respected MBA.
Reply 8
My friends brother got put on the waiting list for harvard mba and he'd just been working for about a year and a half. And that was with a sh*t interview according to him :eek:
And hes too lazy to apply again this year :rolleyes:
I think it would be possible to get into a MBA programme straight after your undergraduate degree but with increasing difficulty as you move up the business school rankings. (I’m guessing 2-3% of the total intake at top business schools is of people just having finished their undergraduate degree, or with very little experience)

I know it was certainly possible in the past (20 odd years ago) to get into top business schools immediately after your undergraduate degree (Though even then it was pretty damn hard).
Reply 10
Radical Dreamer
I think it would be possible to get into a MBA programme straight after your undergraduate degree but with increasing difficulty as you move up the business school rankings. (I’m guessing 2-3% of the total intake at top business schools is of people just having finished their undergraduate degree, or with very little experience)

I know it was certainly possible in the past (20 odd years ago) to get into top business schools immediately after your undergraduate degree (Though even then it was pretty damn hard).

hey, i see you are studying econ. at bath.

i may well choose econ with year in industry at bath.

does year in industry count as valid work experience required by top biz schools ?

thanks
mynameis

thanks

It doesn't make sense to do an MBA without work experience. I knew a girl at Boston University who I think had very limited work experience. Same for this Canadian Uni called McMaster.

A lot of people seem to see an MBA as just a degree you get and it's the way to become president of the universe.
mynameis
hey, i see you are studying econ. at bath.

i may well choose econ with year in industry at bath.

does year in industry count as valid work experience required by top biz schools ?

thanks

I’m actually unsure whether or not it would be counted as part of the 3 year (I think) work experience that is a prerequisite set by most business schools?
I would imagine that in any case the work experience would help strengthen your application, especially if you managed to get into a large internationally recognized institution. In fact whether it is considered as valid work experience would probably depend on where you worked and what work you did.
I’m a first year student so am unsure about what line of work people get into during the placement; but I do know people manage to join some pretty decent institutions and organizations (you can find a list on the departmental webpage).

Latest

Trending

Trending