The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Language needed for UCL?

I'm doing my GCSEs at the moment, and realise I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but, recently I was looking at the UCL website and it says that all applicants must have a language up to a GCSE level. I haven't taken a language for GCSE and there really is no way to change that. I looked up how much it would be to take a French GCSE online and it was almost £400, which I thought was a bit much.

I'm hoping to study English. I realise this an incredibly competitive and wondered if the lack of language would diminish my chances.

Scroll to see replies

If the entry requirements say you need a language and you don't have a language, you won't get in. I suggest you explain this to your school and beg to be allowed to start a language asap, or else pick another university you want to go to.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by IJustSighed
I'm doing my GCSEs at the moment, and realise I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but, recently I was looking at the UCL website and it says that all applicants must have a language up to a GCSE level. I haven't taken a language for GCSE and there really is no way to change that. I looked up how much it would be to take a French GCSE online and it was almost £400, which I thought was a bit much.

I'm hoping to study English. I realise this an incredibly competitive and wondered if the lack of language would diminish my chances.

Email them and ask. You will probably be okay, if not ask your college/sixth form if you can sit a language GCSE alongside your A-levels when you get there? My college was very flexible about that sort of thing.
Reply 3
The college I am hoping to go to only offers Spanish as a GCSE, which would be hard for me as I have never studied the language before. It would also be difficult for me to balance the work load. I am taking my English Lit AS a year early, so in year 12 I'll be studying one A2 and three AS level, I really do not think I'd be able to cope with doing a language GCSE on top of that.
The college I am hoping to go to only offers Spanish as a GCSE, which would be hard for me as I have never studied the language before. It would also be difficult for me to balance the work load. I am taking my English Lit AS a year early, so in year 12 I'll be studying one A2 and three AS level, I really do not think I'd be able to cope with doing a language GCSE on top of that.

Not being funny- but 'j'habite a londres' and 'le sport est bon pour la sante' on top of one A2 and three AS levels won't be too bad- I know people doing 6 full A-levels.
As long as you fit the a-level requirements for UCL and have a generally good UCAS application, you only need a pass (C) in a language GCSE to get over the bar for consideration- it's merely a way of filtering the applicants, not 'A* LINGUISTS OR GTFO'
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Personally I found the jump from GCSE to A-level so great that actually going back to do a GCSE in year 13 (astronomy) was fairly easy. Just an option to consider. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lechaton-x
Not being funny- but 'j'habite a londres' and 'le sport est bon pour la sante' on top of one A2 and three AS levels won't be too bad- I know people doing 6 full A-levels.
As long as you fit the a-level requirements for UCL and have a generally good UCAS application, you only need a pass (C) in a language GCSE to get over the bar for consideration- it's merely a way of filtering the applicants, not 'A* LINGUISTS OR GTFO'

That's true, if it were possible to study French in year 12 then I would, as I have prior knowledge of the language. I've just checked it out and in order to study a Spanish GCSE in year 12 you need an A/A* at GCSE in another language. The only other option is Latin, which is obviously not a MFL.
I realise a lot of people have a much heavier work load than on four A2/AS levels. However, I know that I would struggle with anything more than this.
Reply 7
You might even be able to take an AS level ab initio, if your college allows you.
Reply 8

If you look at the criteria for English at UCL you actually need a language to AS, so I'm sorry to say you're a bit buggered. There are plenty of other universities though! :smile:
Reply 9
I suggest you just don't choose UCL. It's only one university and it's not like it's the only university that is good and actually does your course.
Reply 10
I'm in year 2 at UCL. Got a U grade in French. I got in as a mature student , they DID say that language was essential grade c or above. I got in anyway. The language centre at UCL ( 1/2 or a full module choice) gives any students the chance to do a language. Word of advice though, the full module is very intense and a lot of people fail or have to resit ( its GCSE in a year- you need to do about 20 hours a week inc classes (4 hrs) ) I do Spanish and frankly its harsh.
Reply 11
Original post by GooseAbby
If you look at the criteria for English at UCL you actually need a language to AS, so I'm sorry to say you're a bit buggered. There are plenty of other universities though! :smile:

Really? 'A GCSE in a foreign language is required if not offered at AS or A level'. Is what it says...
Reply 12
Original post by Genocidal
I suggest you just don't choose UCL. It's only one university and it's not like it's the only university that is good and actually does your course.

That's true, but someone told me that most universities seen as 'good' will ask for a MFL anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by Hylean
You might even be able to take an AS level ab initio, if your college allows you.

Would that be possible? Would they not demand a language at GCSE?

Don't worry. I got in and I don't have a language just tell them the school didn't offer it; although in my school we did Irish just not at GCSE.
Reply 15
Would that be possible? Would they not demand a language at GCSE?

No, hence the "ab initio". Some colleges allow students to do it like that, they're special courses. UCL won't care as long as it's GCSE or higher. Can't really see them going, "**** off. We don't care that you have Italian at AS-Level, we want it at GCSE level!"
That's true, but someone told me that most universities seen as 'good' will ask for a MFL anyway.

Not too sure about that one to be honest. You should really research that.
Reply 17
Original post by Hylean
No, hence the "ab initio". Some colleges allow students to do it like that, they're special courses. UCL won't care as long as it's GCSE or higher. Can't really see them going, "**** off. We don't care that you have Italian at AS-Level, we want it at GCSE level!"

Oh I see, I think I'll try and contact the Language department in a few colleges to check that out. Thank you for your help!
Reply 18
Is the language at GCSE just for a specific course?
I'm hopefully going to study Law there this year and I don't have one =/
Reply 19
Original post by pick92
Is the language at GCSE just for a specific course?
I'm hopefully going to study Law there this year and I don't have one =/

The website says, 'For the minority of students that will not have had an opportunity to study a GCSE Modern Language, UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL'. So although I suppose it is not strictly compulsory, it is a lot easier for me to just attempt to study a language now than in later life, when I'd rather just be focusing on my degree. I'm sure if you have good extra curricular activities and grades, you'll be fine. Good luck on getting a placement by the way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending