The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Disappointment in UCL visits for languages students

Is UCL trying to put off students from accepting their offers by being irrelevant and unfriendly on "offer holder's day"? Or is the strategy that, being in the golden triangle, they don't have to try hard at all (or cynically, home students don't have big row bags full of Geld, hence not worth bothering with? Applying for Spanish and we get a lecture on Icelandic?
It would be impractical for them to arrange individual taster lectures for every single language they offer, so it makes sense to do just one or two for all of SELCS. And given that Spanish is commonly available at all universities and already familiar to students, it makes sense they would do it for a more unusual language they offer uniquely in the UK...
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
It would be impractical for them to arrange individual taster lectures for every single language they offer, so it makes sense to do just one or two for all of SELCS. And given that Spanish is commonly available at all universities and already familiar to students, it makes sense they would do it for a more unusual language they offer uniquely in the UK...

When they start getting students turning them down, they will learn the hard way that they will have to be more relevant and engaged. UCL has a poor record in teaching and student support. I know this from experience. Anyway, forewarned in forearmed. Went to a Russian "taster" day at Oxford (a long time ago) and they took the same strategy - a scribble on a paper to tell us where the room was, just a circle of people and one person fielding questions, and that was about it. We were shown the "living quarters" - ie some dingy rooms with bath tubs with dirt rings. They know they don't need to try hard.
Reply 3
Original post by Voxdei
Is UCL trying to put off students from accepting their offers by being irrelevant and unfriendly on "offer holder's day"? Or is the strategy that, being in the golden triangle, they don't have to try hard at all (or cynically, home students don't have big row bags full of Geld, hence not worth bothering with? Applying for Spanish and we get a lecture on Icelandic?

UCL isn't known for MFL teaching - avoid
UCL is actually especially known for MFL teaching because it offers a number of languages not offered anywhere else in the UK. If you're going to make up things about universities you don't like at least pick something logically consistent.
Original post by Voxdei
When they start getting students turning them down, they will learn the hard way that they will have to be more relevant and engaged. UCL has a poor record in teaching and student support. I know this from experience. Anyway, forewarned in forearmed. Went to a Russian "taster" day at Oxford (a long time ago) and they took the same strategy - a scribble on a paper to tell us where the room was, just a circle of people and one person fielding questions, and that was about it. We were shown the "living quarters" - ie some dingy rooms with bath tubs with dirt rings. They know they don't need to try hard.

If you have experience of teaching at UCL why are you going to taster events for prospective applicants or offer holders? Beyond that, "a circle of people and one person fielding questions", what exactly were you expecting? Also "dingy rooms with bath tubs with dirt rings" describes every single student accommodation in the UK essentially.

You seem to have a lot of entitlement, and little recognition that these taster events are often being run by academics on top of their existing jobs, rather than as part of the formal job requirements...you could be more respectful of their time as well in preparing these events for offer holders and applicants. Particularly as often the lecturers have no control over locations etc and may well have had it changed last minute without being advised in advance.
Reply 6
i do spanish at ucl it's **** tbh, french department is great but Spanish should be avoided
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
UCL is actually especially known for MFL teaching because it offers a number of languages not offered anywhere else in the UK. If you're going to make up things about universities you don't like at least pick something logically consistent.

There are much better unis for MFL - I have NOTHING against UCL. Please post evidence that I do or edit.

Stop posting nonsense about me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending