The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

The Internet and Gaming at Newcastle University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
I tried Cactus VPN, but it didn't work for me as it popped up an error saying cannot connect to server (Btw, I'm staying at Ricky). My coursemate told me to sign up for PrivateTunnel and it works. It is $20 for 100GB.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
I can vouch for PrivateTunnel. I have been using it for the past two weeks and have had no problems when playing league. However, in my experience, Steam doesnt work with the UK ip so you have to use like netherlands so you cant buy games because it tries to make you verify your location :c
That's weird, as I'm also staying in Ricky and it works perfectly. I use the profile "UK-London-CactusVPN-TCP". Steam and Origin also work fine for me as do all multiplayer servers.
Reply 143
Any update on this gaming situation guys? I've had an offer for MComp CS with year in Industry and love the university and course. However, if I'm unable to game then I don't think I could attend.

I find it quite ironic that Newcastle is one of the few respected CS courses with gaming modules yet they don't allow you to play games on the network.
Original post by cnova
Any update on this gaming situation guys? I've had an offer for MComp CS with year in Industry and love the university and course. However, if I'm unable to game then I don't think I could attend.

I find it quite ironic that Newcastle is one of the few respected CS courses with gaming modules yet they don't allow you to play games on the network.

People have mentioned work arounds for this.
Also I don't think it's a problem in some of the newer accommodation.
Original post by Kylepott
Does Bowsden have wireless?

Sucks if we can't play online, was planning on using it as the main way to keep in touch with all my friends back home.

I wasn't able to game online with consoles at Bowsden at all - we played local or just played single player stuff. I had a vpn for a while but just wasn't up for the hassle and limits that came with it, so stopped using steam after a month or so.

Hopefully they do fix it :smile:
None of the newer accomodations have the gaming issue - the view, liberty plaza etc. you can game at but obvs the price rises with them, it's like an extra 2 grand a year or something
Reply 147
Park terrace is a new accommodation building and it blocks all online gaming and connections to steam, origin, everything. It's ridiculous, having to scour for vpns to just download games.
Does leazes block xbox live?
Hows the internet in regards to like, skype calls and video streaming like what sort of speeds are we talking about?
Reply 150
Hi everyone,

I'm Chris from Computing Science and an avid gamer myself :smile:

As of last week, our Society (NUCATS) here in CS have been working with the University network team to help get gaming into accommodations and hopefully by the time you get here in September you should be able to game on the University's wifi.

Like mentioned in above posts there is ways around the restrictions and all though I can't post them, I can confirm there are solutions.
Hey man, are you any further forward in your endeavours? I reeeallly miss playing Overwatch
Original post by csncl
Hi everyone,

I'm Chris from Computing Science and an avid gamer myself :smile:

As of last week, our Society (NUCATS) here in CS have been working with the University network team to help get gaming into accommodations and hopefully by the time you get here in September you should be able to game on the University's wifi.

Like mentioned in above posts there is ways around the restrictions and all though I can't post them, I can confirm there are solutions.

Does anyone have any updates on this? Which blocks (if any) allow steam etc? I'm thinking of applying for 2017. Thanks.
Original post by Ant Pett
Does anyone have any updates on this? Which blocks (if any) allow steam etc? I'm thinking of applying for 2017. Thanks.

Hi :smile:

The project to roll out a new network service in halls is underway and you can see updates here :smile:

Basically, online gaming should work in halls now and the new network will let you connect consoles, smart TVs etc for streaming/gaming. Provided all the trials are successful the new network should be rolled out across all halls by the time you start in 2017/18 :smile:

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi :smile:

The project to roll out a new network service in halls is underway and you can see updates here :smile:

Basically, online gaming should work in halls now and the new network will let you connect consoles, smart TVs etc for streaming/gaming. Provided all the trials are successful the new network should be rolled out across all halls by the time you start in 2017/18 :smile:

Hope that helps!

Persephone

I don't suppose there will be a full rollout in January for all halls? I get trialling a small amount first but it seems unfair that some halls are left not being able to console game all year.
Original post by Fashashbar
I don't suppose there will be a full rollout in January for all halls? I get trialling a small amount first but it seems unfair that some halls are left not being able to console game all year.

Hi,

You can see the schedule here :smile:

All the best,

Persephone
Haven't read the whole thread - but just spent an hour or two in the games room playing FIFA on their PS4 with a giant TV and insanely comfy sofa - think that's worth the vastly over-inflated rent alone :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending