The Student Room Group

Oxford Fine Art Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lucylocket

To be honest I'm really shocked I got an interview because you don't know what everyone's work will be like so it's hard to know if you'd be good enough. I really hope you're all lucky and get interviews too!
Does anyone know how many people are invited for interview?

Gah I know, I was really worried about whether to go all out and experiment and produce perhaps not my best work but something potentially more interesting or whether to stick mostly to what I know and produce some corkers in terms of technique but maybe a little less fresh... hard to explain....

urm I thought it was only 25% invited for interview (then a 50/50 chance of success) so you've done bloody well... I hope I'm as fortunate *cough* if worcester ever email me *cough*
soooo tense right now
Reply 81
Original post by christye
Gah I know, I was really worried about whether to go all out and experiment and produce perhaps not my best work but something potentially more interesting or whether to stick mostly to what I know and produce some corkers in terms of technique but maybe a little less fresh... hard to explain....

urm I thought it was only 25% invited for interview (then a 50/50 chance of success) so you've done bloody well... I hope I'm as fortunate *cough* if worcester ever email me *cough*
soooo tense right now

yes I know what you mean, it's hard because we just don't know what they're looking for! What did you put in quantity wise? Because I only had 10 big sheets of work which I thought would be a weakness to my portfolio so I put 6 sketchbooks in, I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.

Oh I hope so, I swear it's so much harder to get a Fine Art interview than one for any other subject! Well the email I got confirming my interview was from Christ Church not from Ruskin, so maybe Worcester just haven't notified candidates about interviews yet?
Reply 82
yes I know what you mean, it's hard because we just don't know what they're looking for! What did you put in quantity wise? Because I only had 10 big sheets of work which I thought would be a weakness to my portfolio so I put 6 sketchbooks in, I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.

Oh I hope so, I swear it's so much harder to get a Fine Art interview than one for any other subject! Well the email I got confirming my interview was from Christ Church not from Ruskin, so maybe Worcester just haven't notified candidates about interviews yet?

Hey, I have also applied and haven't heard anything either. Lots of people on my foundation course applied (and all are very good) but only one girl has had an interview confirmation. I suggest ringing the Ruskin if you are concerned? Maybe they have decided on everybody for interview, but they might also be still deciding on some people. Its all very stressful, isnt it?!
Reply 83
Original post by rubytues
Hey, I have also applied and haven't heard anything either. Lots of people on my foundation course applied (and all are very good) but only one girl has had an interview confirmation. I suggest ringing the Ruskin if you are concerned? Maybe they have decided on everybody for interview, but they might also be still deciding on some people. Its all very stressful, isnt it?!

Ahh which foundation are you on? I'm at City College Brighton and only two of us applied, sounds like you go somewhere really great!
I think it's quite worrying because non of us know what to expect! It's nice speaking to other people in the same situation though :smile:
Reply 84
Im at CSM. I was not sure about applying in the first place, as I got A*A*B at Alevel, and they ask for AAA. But some of the people I know who have applied got like 4 A*s so I dont think its ALL about the grades. IT is worrying, but I guess it is best not to stress too much. What kind of art are you into?
Reply 85
Original post by rubytues
Im at CSM. I was not sure about applying in the first place, as I got A*A*B at Alevel, and they ask for AAA. But some of the people I know who have applied got like 4 A*s so I dont think its ALL about the grades. IT is worrying, but I guess it is best not to stress too much. What kind of art are you into?

Oh wow I bet the course is fabulous! Ahh if you dont get an interview I reckon it will be because of your grades rather than your art, on the open day at Ruskin they said without 3A's it's hard for them to get you in even if your work is great.
That's so true, I get stressed so easily! Well most of my A2 I did large paintings of people within interiors but in my foundation I've been doing installations and film and I find things like that so interesting! What about you? :smile:
Reply 86
**** **** **** my work isn't interesting enough it's all paintings and drawings when they want videos and installations holy guacamole I'm ****ting myself right now I think I've actually been rejected then... what the hell am I gonna do with my life
Reply 87
I had about 17 a1s and 3 sketchbooks and a few canvases
Reply 88
Oh wow I bet the course is fabulous! Ahh if you dont get an interview I reckon it will be because of your grades rather than your art, on the open day at Ruskin they said without 3A's it's hard for them to get you in even if your work is great.
That's so true, I get stressed so easily! Well most of my A2 I did large paintings of people within interiors but in my foundation I've been doing installations and film and I find things like that so interesting! What about you? :smile:

yeah it is a really good course! Perhaps, although I do know people who have got in with lower grades. I reckon we will find out next week. Where else did you apply???? and your art sounds really cool!
Ruskin they said without 3A's it's hard for them to get you in even if your work is great.

Really?!?!? when I went to the open day they said it wouldn't matter if I get predicted DDD IF i manage to get an AAA in the end. (didn't get DDD btw xD) oh but then again I guess thats because I'm applying straight from a levelsss? idk

...but then again their probably going to pick the people with predicted AAA too seeing that it's so competitive.

yeahhhh I shouldn't really have much hope anyway BLARGH :P

Nope not really but I have some photos of my portfolio I took to help me remember what was in it incase I got asked for an interview. If you don't get an interview I could always send you them or something?
To be honest I'm really shocked I got an interview because you don't know what everyone's work will be like so it's hard to know if you'd be good enough. I really hope you're all lucky and get interviews too!
Does anyone know how many people are invited for interview?

It would be great if you could send me the pictures. I just got my rejection e-mail today. It was what I was expecting. :frown: Although in the feedback section they seemed very optimistic about my chances after doing a foundation.
My e-mail is [Mod note: Please use private messages to exchange contact details] if you want to send them that way.
Thank you, and congratulations again on the interview. :smile:
Original post by HelveticaBold
It would be great if you could send me the pictures. I just got my rejection e-mail today. It was what I was expecting. .

which college did you apply to? D: i applied to new and I too haven't done a foundation so knwoing the chances are low, i would rather have a rejection letter early. The wait is too much D':
Original post by dnjswjdals
which college did you apply to? D: i applied to new and I too haven't done a foundation so knwoing the chances are low, i would rather have a rejection letter early. The wait is too much D':

I applied to St Edmund Hall. Good luck.
So if Ruskin has already decided on who are shortlisted and it's just the colleges that aren't notifiying the applicants, am I allowed to call the Ruskin to find out? or is that too needy
Reply 94
i recieved an interview invitation yesterday. did anyone else apply for st edmund hall?
Reply 95
Original post by swrath
i recieved an interview invitation yesterday. did anyone else apply for st edmund hall?

congratulations on your invitation!! did you do a foundation year?
Reply 96
Original post by celiners
congratulations on your invitation!! did you do a foundation year?

thank you! yes i am doing a foundation at the moment.

i'm really nervous about the interview, i really want to know what the practical test involves- i couldn't find examples of the questions online anywhere!
anyone applied to new college
Original post by swrath
thank you! yes i am doing a foundation at the moment.

i'm really nervous about the interview, i really want to know what the practical test involves- i couldn't find examples of the questions online anywhere!

Last years paper can be found here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/how_to_apply/tests/index.html
Reply 99

thank you- i don't know how i will get a place when i don't even think to look in the most obvious place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending