The Student Room Group

Which A-levels are best?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by heyimbored

World development seems like a crap subject though, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't accepted, as it looks like it's an A level in 'the news'. Just say that you like current affairs in your personal statement.

I have not seen it on any 'unwanted a-level lists or anything like that, and when i was talking to the college and my careers adviser about it they never said that it wasnt accepted or anything like that...
i think it is just viewed as a 'soft' subject
You should probably take Further Maths D:
Reply 22
Original post by Hermione17
Yes, you can. I suppose you will study it with year 12 students, unless many people in year 13 take up AS FMaths, too. There is another option of self teaching it. Why don't you start FMaths in year 12, and take it to A2 in year 13? If you want to apply for Maths or Physics, you certainly enjoy studying Maths. Moreover, you want to apply to top universities. I have just had a look at UCL website, they require FMaths at A-level for Maths, and I think it's same as in other top universities.

yes thats tru
Reply 23
Surely doing double Maths narrows your choice if career? And also if I did double Maths I am right in thinking that I would pick 2 more alevels not 3
Reply 24
Well if you look on the UCL website you can see straight away that you need a further maths A-Level for maths so no, that won't be enough.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/prospectus/maps/mathematics/
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

This list may be of use. It's for trinity college cambridge, but I suspect the same general things are followed by other universities.
Reply 26
Original post by harribo12345
but i think that it is too academic if u see what i mean. Is there a lot of competetion for maths and physics courses at uni???

Troll. Surely?

Good luck getting into a good uni for maths with no further maths (unless your school doesn't offer it), a dislike of a 'fully academic' set of subjects, and the belief that maths and physics courses are easy to get into :rolleyes:

Swap something for further maths and take your subject and studies seriously. Maths is not as hard to get into as something as medicine, but it's still not going to be handed to you on a plate.
I have not seen it on any 'unwanted a-level lists or anything like that, and when i was talking to the college and my careers adviser about it they never said that it wasnt accepted or anything like that...
i think it is just viewed as a 'soft' subject

If you like it, then take it.

Talking about "unwanted A-level lists", Trinity College, Cambridge put World Development under the list "A-levels suitable only as a fourth subject". I think the top universities will be OK if the other 3 subjects you take are respected.
Reply 28
if you wanna do maths or physics at uni, further maths is a massive plus, seriously.

Original post by heyimbored
Also, physics at uni is really not competitive at all, UCL will give you an offer of AAB for the masters probably, ABB for the BSc, all you need is maths and physics for the vast majority.

also, further maths is essential for some maths courses, you know. UCL might be one. not sure tbh.

eh, its not "not competitive", its still 4:1 at most places and the 3 that youre up against usually have further maths. chemistry is less competitive than physics (3:1 at a lot of places)
physics isnt uncompetitive... just not on the same scale as history etc
(edited 13 years ago)
I doubt you will ever find an admissions tutor that looks down on further maths, for any science subject.
Surely doing double Maths narrows your choice if career? And also if I did double Maths I am right in thinking that I would pick 2 more alevels not 3

Maths and FMaths are viewed as 2 respected A-level subjects (but for Medicine, I think they view them as one, but it's irrelevant to you anyway)
Reply 31
Further maths is extremely boring don't take it unless it'll give you a huge advantage. Physics and Chemistry are very interesting, they really expand your understanding of the world.
Reply 32
Original post by MDMD
Further maths is extremely boring don't take it unless it'll give you a huge advantage. Physics and Chemistry are very interesting, they really expand your understanding of the world.

well if hes considering a maths or physics degree, it wont give him a huge advantage, but it will put him on a par with most applicants for places like UCL :rolleyes:

oh, and boring is subjective; i find learning by rote in physics (eg backgorund radiation mainly comes from radon gas and underground rocks blah blah blah) boring, whereas i find the conecpts in FM a lot more interesting (and useful for a career in physics)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RK92
oh, and boring is subjective; i find learning by rote in physics (eg backgorund radiation mainly comes from radon gas and underground rocks blah blah blah) boring, whereas i find the conecpts in FM a lot more interesting (and useful for a career in physics)

I feel the same :biggrin:

OP, if you still want to stick with Modern History and World Development, why don't you take both of them with Maths, Fmaths and Physics? If you find it hard to cope, then do AS Modern History in year 12, AS World Development in year 13 (or the other way round), and the other 3 take the full A-levels

You are definitely misinformed about Further Maths. It is an A level in it's own right and does not narrow your choices at all. If it does, you could say that about any subject.
If you don't take Further Maths, you are in fact narrowing your choice of universities (albeit only by a few), but even more importantly you're disadvantaging yourself for when you apply, and making life more difficult for yourself in some cases if you do get offers - for example, the typical Warwick offer for Maths, for those that don't take Further Maths, is significantly higher than those that do.

Maths, Further Maths and Physics A levels will be enough to get you into any Maths or Physics course in the country, except for any universities that also want a pass in a 4th A level (I'm not sure if any want this for Maths/Physics), in which case any AS level (usually with the exception of General Studies and maybe Critical Thinking) will do.

Whatever World Development is, I haven't heard of it, and it is most definitely a 'softer' option. I wouldn't take it if I were you.

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History are a great set of A levels, and you would not be disadvantaged anywhere if you were to drop History after AS. You'd likely be fine to drop Physics after AS too at most places, although top unis such as Cambridge may question why you did that, since their course has a hefty element of mechanics (and ties with Physics).

And on top of anything, I cannot even fathom why anyone that wants to do Maths/Physics at university can even consider not taking Further Maths! Why wouldn't you want to?!

If nothing else you'll be in a good position when starting a degree, as most places will be teaching 'Further Maths' in the first term of uni at an accelerated pace.
Original post by RK92

also, further maths is essential for some maths courses, you know. UCL might be one. not sure tbh.

eh, its not "not competitive", its still 4:1 at most places and the 3 that youre up against usually have further maths. chemistry is less competitive than physics (3:1 at a lot of places)
physics isnt uncompetitive... just not on the same scale as history etc

Physics is uncompetitive when you look at other subjects, ultimately, apart from the top couple of places, the majority give out offers to a the majority of students, and there were hundreds of places for it in clearing. I was in clearing and had offers from around half of the top 25 unis in the country, allbeit with decent grades and not crappy ones, but you couldn't do that with many subjects.

Also, I said further maths is asked for with the better courses.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
a modern language cos it shows you have clear way of thinking, you are cable of studying literature, politics, history etc in another language and gives diversity in the job market.
Reply 37
You need Further Maths for a Physics/Maths degree, or you *will* struggle for offers. Currently studying both concurrently, I can safely say that Further Maths AS is certainly *far* more difficult than Maths AS, although neither are as hard as people make them out to be. Frankly, diversity is meh. If you really want to show diversity, take a foreign language, otherwise I'd advise just sticking with what you know. Wth is World Development anyway?

Saying that, take subjects you're interested in, at least mildly, or you will HATE the A Level.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
world development? duh!
duuuuude get a life.. physics and math in A2 would be excellent although further math is a bonus cuz its definitely gonna help u when u get into a uni.. AICT would be better
Reply 39
filme and buisinesse studs are bes

Quick Reply

Latest