The Student Room Group

Magpie eating birds in our garden :(

We gt quite a lot of wildlife in our garden. We get a pair of pigeons, female and male blackbirds, tiny little brown birds that have a nest in the hedge, fair few squirrels, robins just to name a few. However there has been this magpie that keeps swooping down on the baby brown birds in our garden and eating them :frown: Is there anyway to stop this? Terrified to see whats on the ground in our garden...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Keep a loaded water gun handy and shoot the birds whenever you see them.

Plant marigolds. Magpies are averse to strong odours.

Ask your butcher for scraps and lace the meat with hot peppers or pepper spray. You may wish to do this only when you can keep an eye on the bait.
Grey squirrels eat baby chicks from the legs up too ya know?

I believe a good shot to the noggin helps deal with the pests.
Reply 3
It's called nature, if you intervene the magpie might die instead?
Slingshot from fishing shop or eBay, and a few stones.

Worked for me.
Put something really shiney on the floor in your garden so that the magpie will be attracted to it. Then, run your power supply through it! :biggrin:
Reply 6
It's called feeding.

Do you try and stop the blackbirds eating worms and spiders? :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Air rifle. You can get a cheap one for about £30.
Reply 8
Air rifle. We had a similar problem and the noise of the parents of the chicks than got killed was unbearable, went up the tree and smashed the **** out the magpie nest.
Original post by ProFail
Air rifle. We had a similar problem and the noise of the parents of the chicks than got killed was unbearable, went up the tree and smashed the **** out the magpie nest.

Interfering with a breeding bird's nest without a licence, especially of a species not considered a pest (whatever you think, magpies aren't common enough to be a pestilence) is a serious wildlife crime.

As for the magpies, leave them alone. Do you care about the well-being of the worms that the blackbirds eat?
Reply 10
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Interfering with a breeding bird's nest without a licence, especially of a species not considered a pest (whatever you think, magpies aren't common enough to be a pestilence) is a serious wildlife crime.

As for the magpies, leave them alone. Do you care about the well-being of the worms that the blackbirds eat?

They weren't breeding - they were in the process of making the nest and we just disturbed the nest by poking it apart with sticks - no magpies were harmed and probably only a few days of nest building were lost. I wouldn't dream of being a baby magpie to death :smile:

EDIT: I would also argue that the noise of the prey of the magpies, as well as the littering of our garden with the mutilated corpses of chicks was cause enough to class them as pests. And in response to your question then no - I value the lives of birds greater than those of worms - would you really rather watch a bird be killed than a worm?!
(edited 13 years ago)
It is what they do.
Get over it and grow up.
Reply 12
Would you prevent a lion from catching a gazelle? It's nature and whilst you may not enjoy it the wild isnt exactly a nice place.
Reply 13
Original post by insignificant
We gt quite a lot of wildlife in our garden. We get a pair of pigeons, female and male blackbirds, tiny little brown birds that have a nest in the hedge, fair few squirrels, robins just to name a few. However there has been this magpie that keeps swooping down on the baby brown birds in our garden and eating them :frown: Is there anyway to stop this? Terrified to see whats on the ground in our garden...

just to name a few... lol :bl:
Reply 14
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos

Exactly!!! People look at wildlife thru their own human eyes and not natures point of view, life is harsh, it has no sense of morality or ethics, live and let die
Reply 15
Original post by ProFail
They weren't breeding - they were in the process of making the nest and we just disturbed the nest by poking it apart with sticks - no magpies were harmed and probably only a few days of nest building were lost. I wouldn't dream of being a baby magpie to death :smile:

EDIT: I would also argue that the noise of the prey of the magpies, as well as the littering of our garden with the mutilated corpses of chicks was cause enough to class them as pests. And in response to your question then no - I value the lives of birds greater than those of worms - would you really rather watch a bird be killed than a worm?!

You can get a licence from DEFRA on January 1st each year that allows the killing of all Corvids and ring neck Parakeets any time including the destruction of their eggs, chicks and nests. You can also set up one Larsen trap in an Urban garden. Try spraying your bushes and trees with Meths they don't like that!
Hi, after two seasons of Magpies eating our baby birds... My husband devised a humane " decoy". Magpies and Cats ( who will also get baby birds if the nest is closer to the ground or within reach) ...listen for the baby bird's cries. My husband put a bowl of birdseed down on the ground near the nest.. and this accomplishes several things: 1) It is a humane way of dealing with Magpies. 2) It reduces the baby bird's cries as Mama and Papa bird don't have to fly too far away from the nest for food and 3) a lot of other birds try and get to the food too... such as bigger birds like Quail... Magpies are confused by all the other activity ( they watch for the Mama and Daddy birds flying to the nest ) ....and ..they don't want to tangle with the bigger birds like Quail etc that also want to get to the seed. We only keep the bowl filled as long as the babies are in the nest. Hope this helps someone else with this problem.
I wonder how some posters on here might feel about being shot by a herd of cows with an air gun every time they try to eat a burger.
Original post by insignificant

Find your local game keeper he knows how to sort em out.

Latest