The Student Room Group

French speaking practice

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get more practice at speaking French? I've tried getting together with people on my couse but it seldom works and the conversation ends up being in English. I really need to improve my speaking/listening because it's pulling my grade down.

Any help appreciated
Depends what your problem is...if it's pronunciation you could record yourself/just practice on your own, if it's confidence you really need to be speaking in front of others, if it's spontaneity you could try flash cards but again you need to speak to others. Do you participate as much as you can in class?

Are you at uni/school? If the former there should be loads of events you can go to/offers for language exchange partners. If it's school, speak to your teacher for advice or consider setting up a speaking event (basically a social where you must speak French) one lunchtime perhaps - this is done at my uni and it's quite useful. Does your school have a french assistant?

Oh and maybe just meet up with one friend and make them promise to speak French exclusively? I did this with one of my friends for a few days before our exams and it was really helpful - makes you think on your feet and you lose a bit of the embarrassment because everyone else can hear you.
Reply 2
It sounds retarded, but I always speak to myself out loud. Find some French newspaper article and read them outloud; not only will it help increase your vocab but you can practice pronounciation, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending