The Student Room Group

How can I improve on exam technique?

Apart from past papers that is, I can still do some past papers and only end up with an A, but I'm aiming for A* in most subjects. For the GCSE Science January modules I typed up all my notes for bio, physics and Chem and read them everyday. I practically knew all of them by heart because I have a great memory. Then I looked in my textbooks for further guidance and then did past papers. I got an A in Chem (1 mark off A*), A* in bio and B in physics.

I went to see my physics and chemistry teachers after I got my results, and they said that if I had done all of the things above then it must be solely based on exam technique. I think that has always been my problem, when I see a question worded oddly or something I don't remember learning, I panic and I can't think of an answer. EXCLUDING past papers, how can I improve on this? Thanks!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
:L your user name made me laugh

Anyway... Your post doesn't really make sense? You said you did SOME past papers and only got A*AB, then you should do MORE past papers and get A*A*A*?

GCSE's is all about CGP revision guides, learn the revision guide and do past papers and you will get 100%, there is no exam technique for GCSE science, they just want your answers to be short and concise so examiners can look in the mark scheme and tick your answers when they see relevant words. Maybe you are getting too into the science part of it and just need to focus on getting the marks.

My advice would be do more past papers, and when I say more, I mean all of the past papers, then get your teachers to mark them and if exam technique is the issue they should just be able to tell you this and tell you how to work on your answers. But the main thing is to be concise, stick to the amount of lines they give you in the question paper - they're there for a reason.
Exam technique is something that's hard to grasp, but it's the best thing to be worst at, if that makes any sense. If you don't have much of a problem learning the material, memorising it, and applying it you're doing brilliantly. With exam technique in Science exams just try to remember that often, the most logical answer is the right one. I used to really struggle with exams; I knew all the content, I just panicked when under exam conditions - my advise would be to try and set yourself situations when you have to deal with a question under stress.

I know you said 'excluding pastpapers' but for Science this is really the best way forward: do a pastpaper, and when you get confused or stuck on a question think of the most logical response and then - and here comes the important bit - analyse the markscheme. See where you went wrong, and try to come to grips with how the answer is derived. A lot of the time, you'll probably find it's the same questions that trip you up, such as the: "Two students are discussing active transport. John says that phloem and xylem are essential in this, as phloem transports sugars and distributes them throughout the plant whereas xylem transports water and minerals. Katy thinks that active transport is the absorption of mineral salts against a concentration gradient and that the phloem and xylem don't have any use in this situation. Who is right? A). John. B). Katy. C). Both. D). Neither." questions; I used to loathe those.

What exam board are you on? And what papers do you struggle with more - multiple choice, or structured? I'll be able to help more if know the specifics :h:
Original post by Lily Academia
What exam board are you on? And what papers do you struggle with more - multiple choice, or structured? I'll be able to help more if know the specifics :h:

Thanks for the advice! :smile: I am on the WJEC exam board for science, maths, history, English etc, AQA for geography and OCR for Spanish. I don't normally come across multiple choice questions so I struggle particularly on structured questions, the example you included is one that has the potential to confuse me haha.
Past papers are the only thing that can help with exam technique.

do lots of them, but make sure you're doing them under strict exam conditions

Quick Reply

Latest