The Student Room Group
Reply 1
To be honest, with 260 points, I'm not sure you'd get to a university on their milkround. You'd probably be ok for their minimum standards (ie. with AS levels you have over their 300 minimum) but trying to get into IB from a university they don't recruit from is an uphill challenge, and requires something amazing in your application.
Reply 2
I got to Aston,mate
Reply 3
hey...is there anyway of finding out which universities are constantly targeted at the major Investment Bank Milkrounds? Will Universities such as, City (CASS Business School), Loughborough and Reading (Investment Course) be on their milkround lists?? Thanks, Sunny
Reply 4
It's more or less the top dozen in the tables. There are plenty of exceptions where people from elsewhere get in...but if that is your only aim, don't make it any harder than it has to be!

There is also an element of subject choice, not just university (discuss, 2000 worlds...this topic has been done to the death).
Reply 5
Well, as has been posted many times by many people, the majority of front office IBers come from Oxbridge and the University of London, with some coming from Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews.. etc. Ie. to be in the top tier, with a decent shot, you pretty much have to come from Oxbridge or UoL, however you stand a reasonable shot if you come from another top university. Sure, Reading, Aston and City have courses that are exceptions, and possibly in the same catagory as Warwick, Nottingham, et. al.

Short answer: getting into IBs is very hard, and the better the reputation of the university/course you go to, the more chance you stand. As the university/course ranking gets below around 12 in the tables, you see the chances start tending towards 0. Obviously there are occasional exceptions, but they're very, very rare.
Reading? Not really.

Aston? Not really.

CASS - actually does quite well and has a rapidly improving reputation.

Top 8 in my books and in no particular order: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick, Nottingham and Bristol.

--------------

Drogue
As the university/course ranking gets below around 12 in the tables, you see the chances start tending towards 0.

Should have been the first thing you said :wink:
Reply 7
The only thing maybe redeeming Reading is da ISMA. Apart from that, Reading is not so hot. And even then i'd only ever do it at MSc level, not undergrad.
Reply 8
right...thanks for ur advice everyone!! how about something like doing a undergraduate course at a mediocre university, say CASS, and then doing a MSc somewhere like LSE...that should give u the same footing as doing a BSc at say LSE or oxbridge, or should actually give an even greater advantage, shouldnt it?
Reply 9
Drogue
Well, as has been posted many times by many people, the majority of front office IBers come from Oxbridge and the University of London, with some coming from Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews.. etc. Ie. to be in the top tier, with a decent shot, you pretty much have to come from Oxbridge or UoL, however you stand a reasonable shot if you come from another top university. Sure, Reading, Aston and City have courses that are exceptions, and possibly in the same catagory as Warwick, Nottingham, et. al.

Short answer: getting into IBs is very hard, and the better the reputation of the university/course you go to, the more chance you stand. As the university/course ranking gets below around 12 in the tables, you see the chances start tending towards 0. Obviously there are occasional exceptions, but they're very, very rare.

Well UoL is a bit broad. I dont think there are many from KCL or QMUL in IB. Someone from Warwick has a better chance than someone from KCL or QMUL. Warwick probably has the same reputation as UCL so i dont see why u seem to think it is inferior.
UoL = LSE, UCL, Imperial for IB. Drogue is fairly sharp on these things :wink:

The edge UoL has over Warwick is that we are in London. We get massive exposure to the banks and they find it easy to get involved. Deutsche Bank and Goldman Sachs support a course at UCL relating to IB.

And CASS is pretty good. Again, the advantage of being in London helping them out a great deal.

Back to the original post, if you are under 300 points on your A2 grades - you're going to have to explain why that is the case, do something exceptional for the rest of your form or face pretty near instant rejection quite regularly.

The main milkround for IB is: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick, Nottingham and Bristol. Especially Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick who have large focused and developed student communities with a culture of getting into IB. LSE being the most extreme example of that!
Reply 11
ba_ba1
Well UoL is a bit broad. I dont think there are many from KCL or QMUL in IB. Someone from Warwick has a better chance than someone from KCL or QMUL. Warwick probably has the same reputation as UCL so i dont see why u seem to think it is inferior.

maybe not for IB, but I know KCL is one of only 5 universities on McKinsey's top choice list (Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and KCL). But yes, I was mainly refering to LSE, UCL and Imperial, I just can't be bothered to type it all out :redface:
how about something like doing a undergraduate course at a mediocre university, say CASS, and then doing a MSc somewhere like LSE...that should give u the same footing as doing a BSc at say LSE or oxbridge, or should actually give an even greater advantage, shouldnt it? *

The thing to realise is the better the univ. you get your postgrad from the better you chance (i.e. same order as undergrad degrees: oxbridge, imperial, UCL etc) but then the better universities will also want students who are the top of their year and who are them themselves from good universities.

For example, taking it to the extreme, getting on to the Cambridge Part III Maths Tripos (a certificate the the banks absolutely love!) would require you to be one of the top people in your year from a science/maths degree and also be from a top university, most likely Oxford or some of the London institutions.

Having said that, there's no reason you couldn't get onto one of those courses if you show good potential.

Good luck,

Jay
Drogue
maybe not for IB, but I know KCL is one of only 5 universities on McKinsey's top choice list (Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and KCL). But yes, I was mainly refering to LSE, UCL and Imperial, I just can't be bothered to type it all out :redface:

KCL will drop or it'll expand from 5 :wink:

That said, Kings does push itself towards consultancy... shame there are so few consultancy jobs out there really!

Latest

Trending

Trending