The Student Room Group

4 offers - help with firming and insuring?

So I was rejected by LSE for L101 Economics day before yesterday so I've now got replies from all 5 universities.

Here are my following offers with conditions (I am enrolled in the IB Diploma):

1) University of Nottingham - L100 Economics (34 points with 5 in SL English)

2) Durham University - L100 Economics (37 points with 5 in HL Mathematics)

3) Oxford University - LN12 Economics and Management (39 points with 7 in HL Economics)

4) The University of Warwick - L100 Economics (38 points with 6 in HL Mathematics)

Tentatively, I am looking at firming Oxford and insuring Warwick. What do you guys think? What would you firm/insure in the same position and why?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advise whatsoever.
Reply 1
Original post by rohitronaldo
So I was rejected by LSE for L101 Economics day before yesterday so I've now got replies from all 5 universities.

3) Oxford University - LN12 Economics and Management (39 points with 7 in HL Economics)

4) The University of Warwick - L100 Economics (38 points with 6 in HL Mathematics)

Tentatively, I am looking at firming Oxford and insuring Warwick. What do you guys think? What would you firm/insure in the same position and why?

Oxford firm, warwick insurance. They are the best and second best amongst your choices respectively!
Reply 2
Firm on Oxford without hesitation!
Durham for insurance, cuz they ask for 2 points less in the requirements which seems logical as an insurance choice.
Best of luck!
Reply 3

I would do the same. Oxford firm and Warwick insurance.
Reply 4
depends how sure you are of getting your firm. Definately Oxford 1st but if you're less sure in achieving a high IB score then you may consider Durham over Warwick.
Reply 5
You've made the right choice there. Oxford and Warwick all the way.
Firm Oxford, definitely, and depending on how you feel about your chances of getting the requirements, either Warwick or Durham.

Well done on getting offers from such great places :smile:
Deffo Oxford first, but the insurance depends how confident you are at getting the grades. You really don't want to miss both firm + insurance offer and end up at UCLAN in clearing. So maybe Durham as insurance, but your choice.
i was gonna say oxford and nottingham, but definatley oxford then the one you would be most happy with after that.
Reply 9

Didn't you apply to some uni's in the US? Any luck with them?
Original post by therealOG
Didn't you apply to some uni's in the US? Any luck with them?

Thanks for all the feedback! Yes, I applied to the University of Chicago under their Early Action program but unfortunately, got deferred to the regular decision pool.

3 days later, I received my Oxford offer and in the moment of happiness, I promptly rescinded my Chicago application haha (sort of regret it now).

I only applied to Cornell in the regular decision cycle mostly because my parents are adamant about me studying in the UK (Cheaper fees, 3 years vs 4 years, Proximity to home etc). Got waitlisted by Cornell but not really confident about being admitted off the wait list based on fellow applicants I have spoken to.

Bottomline: Never quite understood US admissions, they aren't as transparent as UK universities and I had no special "hook" either.

How did your applications turn out? (Or are you at university already?)

EDIT: Just saw your sig - congrats on the UCL offer!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Thanks for all the feedback! Yes, I applied to the University of Chicago under their Early Action program but unfortunately, got deferred to the regular decision pool.

3 days later, I received my Oxford offer and in the moment of happiness, I promptly rescinded my Chicago application haha (sort of regret it now).

I only applied to Cornell in the regular decision cycle mostly because my parents are adamant about me studying in the UK (Cheaper fees, 3 years vs 4 years, Proximity to home etc). Got waitlisted by Cornell but not really confident about being admitted off the wait list based on fellow applicants I have spoken to.

Bottomline: Never quite understood US admissions, they aren't as transparent as UK universities and I had no special "hook" either.

How did your applications turn out? (Or are you at university already?)

EDIT: Just saw your sig - congrats on the UCL offer!

Well let's be realistic here - you have an Oxford offer. So it's all good :smile:
And thanks - I'm going to my first choice :smile:, if I had another chance at applying I woulda applied to Oxbridge (Land Economy at Cambridge). Good luck in your exams
Reply 12
I would probably go for Oxford and then Notts. The Warwick offer is too close to the Oxford offer and the gulf between Durham and Notts isn't worth that many IB points IMO. This will just give you peace of mind going into the exam period. However if you're confident of getting a high IB score just go Oxford then Warwick/Durham.

Personally, if I was you, firm Oxford, then insurance Nottingham. Nottingham simply of its ties in China. Would be good to study there for a year or so. Learn a bit of mandarin etc.

All good unis, can't really make a bad choice. At least you have an Idea of what you what to pick, I've got 4/5 as well and not a notion which to go for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending