The Student Room Group

graduate entry medicine is competitive because there are less places so whats used to

distinguish?
are we talking higher ukcat cut offs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
my grades are and this year i have an offer for pharmacy, should i just go for graduate entry seeing as tuition fees are set to increase?

i got A*AB (Maths,Chem,Physics: 1 mark off)

4A*s:Maths,Chem,R.e,Physics

3As: English Lit, Lan, Spanish

4Bs:I.T,I.T full,Business studies,Biology

1 yr hospital volunteering,6 months care home, taste of medicine course,football for school team,Christies hospital w/e with proffesor of oncology,passed O.U course molecules medicine and drugs,NHS scheme,ect...

i didnt take bio for A2 which killed my appl dramatically:
603 ukcat
keele intw rejection aft intw ( i didnt have a great time through yr 9,10,11 and wasnt very happy(friend betrayal) but i am much better socially now after i changed to college with a lack of chavs)
Soton waiting list (happened to be fake)
leeds rejection
Glasgow ''''

universites went up to 3A's suddenly which further killed my appl:2011:
ukcat:575
Bristol-no intw
Abdn-no intw
Soton-not even waiting list

I dont know what do-should i just go for gem.I know its more competitive but if i had an intw this year i would definitaley have got in because of the number of job intws ive been to.
I DONT WANT TO TAKE ANOTHER DULL GAP YR (tuiton fees and eternal boredom)
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Original post by alia

universites went up to 3A's suddenly which further killed my appl:2011:
ukcat:575
Bristol-no intw
Abdn-no intw
Soton-not even waiting list

I dont know what do-should i just go for gem.I know its more competitive but if i had an intw this year i would definitaley have got in because of the number of job intws ive been to.
I DONT WANT TO TAKE ANOTHER DULL GAP YR (tuiton fees and eternal boredom)

There are places who will accept A*AB instead of AAA - I think BSMS? I can't remember exactly. If you relly don't want to take another gap year, then go for graduate entry - or go and study something else, and then go for the normal 5 year anyway. As long as you think you can get at least a 2:1 you should be okayy....

What does feedback from the universities say? And why did you only apply to three places this year?
You already made this thread... And you didn't like any of the suggestions people gave you...
Original post by twelve
There are places who will accept A*AB instead of AAA - I think BSMS? I can't remember exactly. If you relly don't want to take another gap year, then go for graduate entry - or go and study something else, and then go for the normal 5 year anyway. As long as you think you can get at least a 2:1 you should be okayy....

What does feedback from the universities say? And why did you only apply to three places this year?

Yes, but not without biology.
You bumped it after 5 minutes? Jesus.

Ps. Grad entry have to pay fees upfront with no loan. You might get a bursary for years 2-4 but that may be cut this year.
Please let this be a troll.
1) Your post is crawling with a 'blame everyone else' attitude. Are you seriously saying the reason you were rejected from Keele was because you fell out with your friends?
2) Lack of chavs eh? So what are you going to do when you enter the real world? You won't get on with everyone.
3) Wtf do you mean, the Soton waiting list was fake? Try telling that to the two people I know that got into Soton through it.
4) Don't spam. What was the point of posting 3 times in 6 minutes?
Whats up with your UKCAT? It's way below average. You need to be focusing on that.
Reply 9
Original post by felt_monkey
Please let this be a troll.
1) Your post is crawling with a 'blame everyone else' attitude. Are you seriously saying the reason you were rejected from Keele was because you fell out with your friends?
2) Lack of chavs eh? So what are you going to do when you enter the real world? You won't get on with everyone.
3) Wtf do you mean, the Soton waiting list was fake? Try telling that to the two people I know that got into Soton through it.
4) Don't spam. What was the point of posting 3 times in 6 minutes?

2 ppl who got in through it probs 3-4 yrs ago not NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN THE 21ST CENTURY!!!!!!!!!!
I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DONT REALISE THAT COMP IS DIFFERENT THESE DAYS
Original post by alia
2 ppl who got in through it probs 3-4 yrs ago not NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN THE 21ST CENTURY!!!!!!!!!!

Um... I know people this cycle who were put on a waiting list, and got in. I doubt they put you on a waiting list just to make you feel better, med schools really don't seem to care too much about crushing dreams! :redface: Fact is, you probably weren't high up enough on the list to get in.

Competition is bad these days, I know this firsthand, but getting angry isn't going to help- you've already made a thread, and people have already given you advice. There's not a lot more to be said, the decision is yours. But don't yell at people or ignore people's advice just because they're not telling you what you want to hear.
Reply 11
Original post by Duckasaurus
Um... I know people this cycle who were put on a waiting list, and got in. I doubt they put you on a waiting list just to make you feel better, med schools really don't seem to care too much about crushing dreams! :redface: Fact is, you probably weren't high up enough on the list to get in.

Competition is bad these days, I know this firsthand, but getting angry isn't going to help- you've already made a thread, and people have already given you advice. There's not a lot more to be said, the decision is yours. But don't yell at people or ignore people's advice just because they're not telling you what you want to hear.

so what do you think personally should i do graduate entry or reapply?

lots of ppl give random advice so the previous tread was unhelpful
I posted in the previous thread! But anyway, my advice: If you've got a spare £50k, cash, in the bank, for fees and living expenses, think about graduate entry. If that's not the case, don't even consider it. Even if you were accepted, I doubt you'd be able to pay the fees (and that'd be the worst thing in the world, to be accepted for medical school, but not to get there because you couldn't afford it :s-smilie:)

Maybe think about reapplying, but, as I recall, you've applied twice? Reapplying would only be worthwhile if you changed something big on your application, eg. an A in biology AND a better UKCAT score. So, if you are really, really set on medicine, I guess you'd have to take another gap year and enrol in college to complete your A2. Without doing that, if you just reapplied with your current stats, I doubt the result would be any different.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but if you really can't take another gap year, I think you're going to have to start thinking about alternative careers. :frown:
You must believe that you will get in, and then you will.
Also, work on your ukcat.

I know it is a stupid test, but what can you do. I am positive that some doctors today would even do terrible in it, and might not have got into medicine. Lucky people.
Reply 15
I posted in the previous thread! But anyway, my advice: If you've got a spare £50k, cash, in the bank, for fees and living expenses, think about graduate entry. If that's not the case, don't even consider it. Even if you were accepted, I doubt you'd be able to pay the fees (and that'd be the worst thing in the world, to be accepted for medical school, but not to get there because you couldn't afford it :s-smilie:)

Maybe think about reapplying, but, as I recall, you've applied twice? Reapplying would only be worthwhile if you changed something big on your application, eg. an A in biology AND a better UKCAT score. So, if you are really, really set on medicine, I guess you'd have to take another gap year and enrol in college to complete your A2. Without doing that, if you just reapplied with your current stats, I doubt the result would be any different.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but if you really can't take another gap year, I think you're going to have to start thinking about alternative careers. :frown:

wheres this 50k coming from?
theres a bursary available no?
ill be a practising pharmacist by that time anyway?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by alia

I'll copy and post my previous posts explaining this:

Yes, unfortunately there's something else: graduate medicine, either way you do it will be horrendously expensive. As a graduate, there's no way to get a student loan, only a maintenance loan and there aren't really any career development loans available anymore, either

If you do a standard 5 year course, you're looking at having to pay up front fees of £36000 pounds. (the NHS may or may not fund the fifth year, its up for review at the moment) Plus living costs.

For accelerated 4 year courses, at present only the first year has to be self financed, meaning you'd only have to pay £9000 in fees up front. However- at the point that you'd be applying, 4 years in the future, it's more than possible, in fact probable, that the NHS will not be funding the same amount on the GEM (and possibly standard entry), as the fees will be £9000 per year, if the NHS continued to finance years 2-4 it would have to shell out £27000, plus a bursary, for each pupil. Given the deficit and the reduction in the NHS budget, I'd doubt that they could continue to do this tbh. Admittedly, I'm not a financial expert, but I wouldn't base your life plans on the belief that funding will be available for you.

In short, aside from the competition, I'd think hard about whether you'd have the finances available to fund a graduate entry course. IMO it's something to be done as a last resort, rather than to be relied upon as a definite route. I believe there's a white paper due to come out at some point. I don't think anyone really knows when though

And then..

Original post by kbountra

It will be interesting to see what they come up with because it would be strange to have undergrads paying £36k and GEM students just paying £9k. I think they are looking into some kind of a loan for GEM but as you say, everything is still up in the air!

Yeah, it's really strange. I can't see the SLC stepping in to fund the GEM course- the government budgeted for an average loan of £7500 per year, it's already looking to be far above that, meaning budgets are going to have to be rewritten, I can't see them accepting additional GEM responsibilities as well, they're already at risk of a major deficit. But at the same time, I can't see the NHS continuing funding. They've already got bursaries to fund and since there's talk of them even scrapping the tuition payment for year 5 of standard entry, if that's the case, GEM funding is almost guaranteed to go.

I know you may be a pharmacist at that point, but even with a decent job, building up savings like that will take time. You really need to consider the financial implications of undergoing GEM or even a graduate standard entry course. Now, I'm not an expert- just a graduate applying this year who has done a hell of a lot of research on funding to ensure my dream was feasible. But you have to consider what money you will need in 4 years time. I certainly doubt there'll be a cut in price, and considering 2012 entry for graduates on A100 will be £36k, and GEM is £9k, you need to budget above and beyond this. It's pointless to dream to do things without considering the practicalities. See our discussion in the thread you made as to why we think GEM costs are going to skyrocket. You really do need to consider this.
Original post by alia

You have to do a pre-reg, and graduate medicine is highly competitive. How do you know you will get in. There is no guarantee.
Reply 18
Original post by alia

It was still the 21st century 4 years ago. It began with the year 2000...

I said it in your last thread, I'll say it again.

Work on your UKCAT.
Original post by alia

See here for info on bursaries: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=557 bear in mind this info is for this year. In 3-4 years time, I'm almost certain it will be different, and I really doubt it'll be any more generous. I think the NHS just can't afford it. And a bursary is somewhat pointless if you can't afford to pay the fees. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending