The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cornish_pasty
Yes meee!! Ive just been off the forums for a while, having a mega nightmare with student finance and halls stuff!! Gahh. Have you got any info about when we start or anything?? lol feeling like its a bit random ive got nothing!

Oh yay!!! I dont feel so alone! Had literally no info accept for the accom pack we got in March. I read somewhere that unconditional holders were meant to receive their student handbook things before August but still no word!

I have got my maintenance loan and ive been allocated a room in Mary B (i am really really hoping that they have set up a grad flat like they said they would!!) What sort of nightmares have you been having?

Im so happy I have found another RVC grad :biggrin:
As much as I love it at RVC - they are notoriously bad at organisation - paperwork seems to take forever to happen. So I would imagine you will get your handbooks....at some point! In the meantime, let me know if you have any questions that I can help with - I am an accerlerated course student (did the 2in1 year 2010/2011).
Yes meee!! Ive just been off the forums for a while, having a mega nightmare with student finance and halls stuff!! Gahh. Have you got any info about when we start or anything?? lol feeling like its a bit random ive got nothing!

Original post by Phoenix_147
Oh yay!!! I dont feel so alone! Had literally no info accept for the accom pack we got in March. I read somewhere that unconditional holders were meant to receive their student handbook things before August but still no word!

I have got my maintenance loan and ive been allocated a room in Mary B (i am really really hoping that they have set up a grad flat like they said they would!!) What sort of nightmares have you been having?

As much as I love it at RVC - they are notoriously bad at organisation - paperwork seems to take forever to happen. So I would imagine you will get your handbooks....at some point! In the meantime, let me know if you have any questions that I can help with - I am an accerlerated course student (did the 2in1 year 2010/2011).

They have def have grad flats in MaryB the last few years, so they should have done this year as well I would have thought.
Reply 502
Original post by Tali_91
You should join our Cambridge Freshers thread on facebook! :biggrin:

(even though we aren't really freshers...:ninja:)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/479474478729312/

Ooh I didn't know there was a facebook thread, thanks! We'll be the best freshers out there... We've.done it before so know how to do it properly haha. Gah I'm so excited to start!
UCD first round of offers have been made. 585 points required for veterinary DN300 which is the equivalent of A*A*A*A at A level. 20 points higher than last year :redface:

http://www.ucd.ie/news/2012/08AUG12/200812-CAO-Round-1-2012.pdf

Yea I'm in Mary B too!! Block A flat 101? But they haven't received my tenancy stuff :/ so having to re-send it all!! Finally got student finance to accept I am eligible for a maintanance load, but my payment form says I'm getting £4.988 maintanance loan, which isn't the full, and £9000 tuition!!!!!! I am SO flipping confused!
Yea I'm in Mary B too!! Block A flat 101? But they haven't received my tenancy stuff :/ so having to re-send it all!! Finally got student finance to accept I am eligible for a maintanance load, but my payment form says I'm getting £4.988 maintanance loan, which isn't the full, and £9000 tuition!!!!!! I am SO flipping confused!

You're my flat mate!!!! I am in Room E :smile: Last time I checked UNITE website there were 2 girls and 2 boys (plus me whose a girl). Should be fun :biggrin:

Weird about the loans! I got 9k maintenance and nothing for tuition. I didnt even tick the box for tuition as I assumed it would just confuse the SL people even more....

It seems really strange you got tuition fees though?! That cant be right? Maybe contact them? Obviously you dont want to upset them if you are going to get your fees paid (:wink: lucky you!) but you dont want them to turn around in a months time and demand the money back.....
about student loans....

I got given a tutition fee loan in my 1st year of vet med - triple checked it with student finance, they explained a feasible reason given my circumstances of my being eligable for it (didn't take a student loan in every year of my other degree)...but at the end of my 1st year they took it back. Didn't even tell me! First I knew was RVC emailing me to say I had to pay last years fees before I could enrole for this year. Apparently student finance screwed up and can just reclaim payment. So be very, very, very careful about taking a fee loan as they could take it back at any point!

Having said that, I know a few people who have been given tuition fee loans this year, so don't know if there are some changes with the £9000 fees. And equally if they are correct changes, or if they will relook at things in a few months time and realised they screwed up.

Just wanted to warn people to be careful with them - they really are totally and uterally rubbish at their job!
You're my flat mate!!!! I am in Room E :smile: Last time I checked UNITE website there were 2 girls and 2 boys (plus me whose a girl). Should be fun :biggrin:

Weird about the loans! I got 9k maintenance and nothing for tuition. I didnt even tick the box for tuition as I assumed it would just confuse the SL people even more....

It seems really strange you got tuition fees though?! That cant be right? Maybe contact them? Obviously you dont want to upset them if you are going to get your fees paid (:wink: lucky you!) but you dont want them to turn around in a months time and demand the money back.....

Yay flat mate!! When are you moving in/do you know when we are supposed to? My mum is worried by my laid back attitude to the whole thing haha!

Yea im not questioning them at the moment - dont want them to undo it as it helps me out A LOT right now. I know theres the possibility of them taking it back at some point but at least if some point is later than now it gives me more time and breathing space on the whole money thing! Will deffo be ringing them about my weedy maintanince though - i sent them all my mums details online and via post!
Yay flat mate!! When are you moving in/do you know when we are supposed to? My mum is worried by my laid back attitude to the whole thing haha!

Yea im not questioning them at the moment - dont want them to undo it as it helps me out A LOT right now. I know theres the possibility of them taking it back at some point but at least if some point is later than now it gives me more time and breathing space on the whole money thing! Will deffo be ringing them about my weedy maintanince though - i sent them all my mums details online and via post!

Im moving in on the Thursday before freshers week (i think its the 20th or something) but I'm not going to stay over until the Saturday I think. Just going to relay my stuff up on the train over a few days. I havnt contacted Mary B about organising a check in though. Not sure if we have to? I think we can move in from 15th of Sept.

Lets hope they overlook your tuition fee 'miscalculation' and let you keep the money!
Reply 509
Mary B are pretty useless with organisation for move ins and not being open the weekend before freshers to get keys but hopefully the staff should have improved since I was there!

Be very very careful with fees as others have said - every year I argue with them with what I'm allowed. For graduates it should be full maintenance and nothing else, no fees. They frequently tell me I'm entitled to fees and no maintenance at different intervals. Useless isn't the word for them with regards to graduate applications!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I realise what you are saying about not questioning them. And I know I sort of already said this in a post above. But bear in mind they can and virtually 100% of the time will take the fees back with no notice what so ever. You can appeal it...but that is long and drawn out and in the meantime your uni will be demanding fee payment.

As I say, this exact thing happened to me and yes I suppose it bought me a years time (but it might not even be that long before they realise their mistake) but in the end it just meant I had about 2 weeks notice to find 2 years worth of fees. So try and make sure that you have the means to pay your fees still if/when they suddenly withdraw it!
Original post by kookabura
I realise what you are saying about not questioning them. And I know I sort of already said this in a post above. But bear in mind they can and virtually 100% of the time will take the fees back with no notice what so ever. You can appeal it...but that is long and drawn out and in the meantime your uni will be demanding fee payment.

As I say, this exact thing happened to me and yes I suppose it bought me a years time (but it might not even be that long before they realise their mistake) but in the end it just meant I had about 2 weeks notice to find 2 years worth of fees. So try and make sure that you have the means to pay your fees still if/when they suddenly withdraw it!

It would be particularly bad this year having to find 18k in two weeks..... :eek:
Reply 512
Im glad that others have had the whole tuition fee issue.. I came here to ask about that really. I thought I had my finance sorted out as I got the offer for a maintenance loan in may, signed the declaration and that was that. About two weeks ago I got a letter saying I am entitle to 5535 tuition fee loan... And have enquired about this 2/3 times and each time I get told I'm entitled to it :/ I have no idea what to do! Student finance Wales are terrible at answering the phone.
Reply 513
Original post by Tali_91
Im glad that others have had the whole tuition fee issue.. I came here to ask about that really. I thought I had my finance sorted out as I got the offer for a maintenance loan in may, signed the declaration and that was that. About two weeks ago I got a letter saying I am entitle to 5535 tuition fee loan... And have enquired about this 2/3 times and each time I get told I'm entitled to it :/ I have no idea what to do! Student finance Wales are terrible at answering the phone.

Do they think you're studying in Wales?
I've enquired and been told I'm entitled to a £9k fee grant for this year, only when asking them to double check/speak to other people do they say 'oh sorry, no tuition loan' I agree, student finance Wales are a bit rubbish, also very annoying to know I could get loans to cover postgrad fees if only a Welsh university offered Vetmed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending