The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

Messed up section Aa, Ab went better and Section B was just :s-smilie: ... I did climax/anticlimax, the speech question was awful! Can't see how you could have anything to say about it at all really.
Reply 781
Original post by fxyz
How did you guys find it?
Section A was alright although the Ab question was confusing for Hardy.. But Section B was weird :| Who did the speech question?

I did Hardy too, was so happy that it was Under the Waterfall but the Ab quote went completely against my analysis of UTW, so I had to use other poems for my 'agree' argument... haha.
Reply 782
Original post by suncake
I did Hardy too, was so happy that it was Under the Waterfall but the Ab quote went completely against my analysis of UTW, so I had to use other poems for my 'agree' argument... haha.

didn't know what cynical meant :|
What poems did you use?
I used Neutral Tones to argue he has a cynical view
And UTW, The Haunter and At Castle Boterel to say he does believe in eternal love - the 'phantom' reference in ACB and TH and then comparing love w the beauty of nature which is everlasting etc...
Original post by fxyz
How did you guys find it?
Section A was alright although the Ab question was confusing for Hardy.. But Section B was weird :| Who did the speech question?

Hi! I quite liked the Ab question actually, although I got quite into it and went over time so I didn't have as much time for section B...

I did speech for section B and found it hard, I only wrote a couple of pages. I almost did climax/anti climax but it didn't work with my poetry. I didn't quote really either so I'm a bit worried they'll say I haven't backed up my points, heh. :l

How did you find it? :smile:
Reply 784
Original post by fxyz
didn't know what cynical meant :|
What poems did you use?
I used Neutral Tones to argue he has a cynical view
And UTW, The Haunter and At Castle Boterel to say he does believe in eternal love - the 'phantom' reference in ACB and TH and then comparing love w the beauty of nature which is everlasting etc...

Basically means doubtful, so 'do you agree that he doesn't believe that love can be everlasting?'

I tried to slant mine towards agree, because someone on here said you should do at least 50% agreeing with the quote in the question :/

I used Neutral Tones like you, and The Going & Your Last Drive (badly) to argue for. I used UTW to argue against. I realise I could've used At Castle Boterel but I was off the day my class did that, so.. oopsies. I wrote about nature with UTW too!

Did you do much context for AO4? I only really talked vaguely about Emma...
Reply 785
Original post by suncake
Basically means doubtful, so 'do you agree that he doesn't believe that love can be everlasting?'

I tried to slant mine towards agree, because someone on here said you should do at least 50% agreeing with the quote in the question :/

I used Neutral Tones like you, and The Going & Your Last Drive (badly) to argue for. I used UTW to argue against. I realise I could've used At Castle Boterel but I was off the day my class did that, so.. oopsies. I wrote about nature with UTW too!

Did you do much context for AO4? I only really talked vaguely about Emma...

Yeah I wrote in m introduction that much of Hardy's love poetry was a reflection of his personal relationships. Later on in the conclusion I wrote in his younger years his opinions on love may have been cynical cos he was younger and less mature but towards the end of his life, his life events 'shaped' him and made him more mature, suggesting this is why towards the end of his life his poems seemed to agree with the everlasting nature of love :smile: I think my ideas were alright but maybe I didn't do my AO1 to an A grade standard
Reply 786
Original post by cardboardkid
Hi! I quite liked the Ab question actually, although I got quite into it and went over time so I didn't have as much time for section B...

I did speech for section B and found it hard, I only wrote a couple of pages. I almost did climax/anti climax but it didn't work with my poetry. I didn't quote really either so I'm a bit worried they'll say I haven't backed up my points, heh. :l

How did you find it? :smile:

OMG same! I planned the climax essay then I thought no way I can't do this I wont be able to AO2 this! I was slightly confused with speech but the I realised it was a combination of dialogue and voices.. so I rephrased some stuff I had learnt for voices and replaced it as 'speaking style' LOL
What books did you do? :smile:
How did everyone find it? Please tell me other people thought the questions for Section B were pretty mean and unexpected? :frown: Did anyone do Rossetti for Section A?
Reply 788
Original post by fxyz
Yeah I wrote in m introduction that much of Hardy's love poetry was a reflection of his personal relationships. Later on in the conclusion I wrote in his younger years his opinions on love may have been cynical cos he was younger and less mature but towards the end of his life, his life events 'shaped' him and made him more mature, suggesting this is why towards the end of his life his poems seemed to agree with the everlasting nature of love :smile: I think my ideas were alright but maybe I didn't do my AO1 to an A grade standard

That sounds really good! I didn't even manage to do a conclusion for any of my questions, darn my slow thinking and writing. :frown:

Just curious, how many pages did you all write for each question? I did nearly 2 sides for Aa, 1.5 for Ab and about 2.5 for Section B I think, in other words, not very much...
I did Rossetti section A, and climaxes/anti climaxes for section B. Found Aa for Rossetti quite hard (so that was rubbish) but Ab I thought not so bad. :smile: My section b....argh. Poor.
Reply 790
Original post by suncake
That sounds really good! I didn't even manage to do a conclusion for any of my questions, darn my slow thinking and writing. :frown:

Just curious, how many pages did you all write for each question? I did nearly 2 sides for Aa, 1.5 for Ab and about 2.5 for Section B I think, in other words, not very much...

I did 2.5 pages for Aa and Ab and I believe I did 4.5 or 5 for Section B... I managed to finish the booklet on point so I think thats 9 pages? Its a big improvement from last year where i wrote 23 pages of WAFFLE LOL
Original post by Mynameisnotearl
I did Rossetti section A, and climaxes/anti climaxes for section B. Found Aa for Rossetti quite hard (so that was rubbish) but Ab I thought not so bad. :smile: My section b....argh. Poor.

I did exactly the same as yooou and yeahhh I was NOT expecting Goblin Market! Third time its been set now ugggh I was soo sure it would be Jessie Cameron :frown: The Ab question was a bit weird but alriiiight but section b....well. That was just a flop ;P
Reply 792
Original post by fxyz
I did 2.5 pages for Aa and Ab and I believe I did 4.5 or 5 for Section B... I managed to finish the booklet on point so I think thats 9 pages? Its a big improvement from last year where i wrote 23 pages of WAFFLE LOL

I am literally like :eek: right now ahahhah, so you had to use like, 3 answer booklets last year? That's pretty impressive/scary! Do you just think and write reeeally fast?
Reply 793
I did Mariner for section A and climaxes for section B with Gatsby, Browning poems and Small Island- the section B questions were dreadful, I never thought ones like those would come up.
At least Mariner was nice- part 4 and 'is it essentially a poem about the power of prayer'. I'm only slightly worried they might not be able to read my handwriting!
Reply 794
Original post by suncake
I am literally like :eek: right now ahahhah, so you had to use like, 3 answer booklets last year? That's pretty impressive/scary! Do you just think and write reeeally fast?

I write incredibly fast.. I think fast too but my thoughts are unorganised. I got a Low band 4 last year, a mark off a Band 3 so I realised the examiners couldn't give a hootin heck about my 23 pages LOL.

What did you do for Section B?
Reply 795
Original post by fxyz

Oh my God HOW ARE YOU HUMAN?! Did you have big handwriting or something? Your poor wrist...

I did The Rime of The Ancient Mariner for section A. It was my third exam today, I was exhausted and couldn't think of what to say, so I think I pretty much rambled. I thought the climax/anti-climax questions was pretty nice, though I suspect I did pretty badly (nowhere near interpretation/AO2 references).
In total, I wrote six pages. About about 3 pages for section A, 3 for section B.
Reply 796
Original post by Vikasi
Oh my God HOW ARE YOU HUMAN?! Did you have big handwriting or something? Your poor wrist...

I did The Rime of The Ancient Mariner for section A. It was my third exam today, I was exhausted and couldn't think of what to say, so I think I pretty much rambled. I thought the climax/anti-climax questions was pretty nice, though I suspect I did pretty badly (nowhere near interpretation/AO2 references).
In total, I wrote six pages. About about 3 pages for section A, 3 for section B.

my handwriting is medium sized.. not small and definitely not big.. lol
I did Hardy too :smile:
Thought section a was okay, could have been better.
Section Ab was a little better I think, I used the going and the voice to agree with the cynical view of ever lasting love and the haunter and under the waterfall to disagree with it.
Section B was not so great, I did the speech question, wrote about feminism for Rossetti, the long term endurability of pride and prejudice and the characterisation and the building of relationships for the kite runner.

Got a C for the coursework :frown: so I need 85/120 for a B or 105 for an A
Reply 798
How much of the whole AS is coursework? If I got about 28/30 on both of my pieces of coursework, what score would I need to get in the exam to get an A overall?

Got a C on the exam the last time (A harsh D, actually, that then went up after a remark). Fun times.
Reply 799
Original post by fxyz
I write incredibly fast.. I think fast too but my thoughts are unorganised. I got a Low band 4 last year, a mark off a Band 3 so I realised the examiners couldn't give a hootin heck about my 23 pages LOL.

What did you do for Section B?

Hahaha, I just calculated that it only took you about 5 minutes to write a whole page. Whatever the examiners think, I reckon that deserves some credit :P

I did the climax/anti-climax one. Probably should've done speech as it links to AO2 more directly, but oh well. Also, I think I hardly put any AO3 in! So really, I don't even know what I spent an hour writing... heh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending