The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants for 2012 entry (& Offers - for when they're given!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SomeoneIveNeverMet
:biggrin: hmm maybe if you send them an e-mail and ask them if they would consider your application without art? If you really want to go there, that is :smile:

Wow yes! I've been looking at those two too! Bath looks really good :biggrin:

I've sent them my email, and they've already rejected me.haha. Anyways,I've never intended to go there, just curious so I emailed them.

"So Fine Art is our only subject requirement and we cannot consider you without it " - UCL

By the way, Bath is a 4-year course isn't? So long!
Reply 21
Original post by colin4president
no money. profession going to the dogs/engineers/contractors. full of *****. unfulfilling . too much work. i could go on. just trust me, by the time you finish your degree you will regret ever contemplating architecture.

Not if you really have the passion in it. You do what you love to do so it doesn't matter what profession you're in. If you have a high-pay profession but you don't enjoy it, what's the point.

Anyways, in Malaysia from where I'm living, there are not so many Architects so they're still regarded as professionals and a high-income profession. idk about UK.

Just my 2cents :smile:
Original post by elafyf
I've sent them my email, and they've already rejected me.haha. Anyways,I've never intended to go there, just curious so I emailed them.

"So Fine Art is our only subject requirement and we cannot consider you without it " - UCL

By the way, Bath is a 4-year course isn't? So long!

That's so harsh!!

Yes Bath is 4 years, but in the 2nd and 3rd years you spend Semester 2 in a work placement. Most places do 3 years, and then you do a 1 year placement, then you do Postgrad. Bath just incorporates the placement into the course :smile:
Original post by elafyf
Not if you really have the passion in it. You do what you love to do so it doesn't matter what profession you're in. If you have a high-pay profession but you don't enjoy it, what's the point.

Anyways, in Malaysia from where I'm living, there are not so many Architects so they're still regarded as professionals and a high-income profession. idk about UK.

Just my 2cents :smile:

yeah i totally agree, if you really love it then go for it. however, sometimes when you take something you love and turn it into your work/degree, you end up hating it. see my entire year group as an example!
Reply 24
Hi :smile:

I'm thinking about architecture too, but I'm not sure yet where to study it: in UK, or in Lithuania, where I actually live.
Reply 25
Original post by Vesselina
Did they invite you for an interview? (it is what I wouldn't be able to do)

No, I just got a conditional offer based on my application and predicted grades. I went up to see it on the applicants day and was really impressed. But I am going with Strathclyde as it's local and therefore more affordable!
Reply 26
That's so harsh!!

Yes Bath is 4 years, but in the 2nd and 3rd years you spend Semester 2 in a work placement. Most places do 3 years, and then you do a 1 year placement, then you do Postgrad. Bath just incorporates the placement into the course :smile:

Oh yeah. That's why. But I've noted that Bath architecture is quite engineeringy is it? Our Architecture department there is together with Civil Engineering. Do we have to learn all the Higher Maths stuff really?

yeah i totally agree, if you really love it then go for it. however, sometimes when you take something you love and turn it into your work/degree, you end up hating it. see my entire year group as an example!

Yes I know that Architecture is quite a stressful job.haha. Can't blame you, maybe I haven't undergo that yet. Hopefully I can stand all the pressure. :smile:
Original post by elafyf
Oh yeah. That's why. But I've noted that Bath architecture is quite engineeringy is it? Our Architecture department there is together with Civil Engineering. Do we have to learn all the Higher Maths stuff really?

Yes is it apparently quite engineeringy (love how that's made up:tongue:). Having said that, I am actually considereing Civil Engineering now, instead of Architecture (that makes me sound like a hypocrite of some sort - seeing as I made this thread! :/) eck. I'm not sure yet though.
Reply 28
Original post by marc93
No, I just got a conditional offer based on my application and predicted grades. I went up to see it on the applicants day and was really impressed. But I am going with Strathclyde as it's local and therefore more affordable!

As Strathclyde is one of my top choices I would be glad to get some more information about it. What is the thing that most attracts you to this uni (apart from it being close to where you live)? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Vesselina

As I am not from the UK(I am Bulgarian), I don't know what is my situation in terms of equivalents of GCSE.

I'm also Bulgarian, and our diplomas are accepted as a qualification in most UK universities (which is nice...) although (as far as I know) Edinburgh are more selective and often overlook foreign applications.
what about Architectural Technology? not as long as Architecture, some of the merits of it, can branch out elsewhere.. I'm thinking of doing it post grad..
Reply 31
Yes is it apparently quite engineeringy (love how that's made up:tongue:). Having said that, I am actually considereing Civil Engineering now, instead of Architecture (that makes me sound like a hypocrite of some sort - seeing as I made this thread! :/) eck. I'm not sure yet though.

It's up to you tho, as I said before, do whatever pleases you! Good luck in making the tough choice :biggrin: Tho, personally I think architecture is somehow cooler. hehe.
no money. profession going to the dogs/engineers/contractors. full of *****. unfulfilling . too much work. i could go on. just trust me, by the time you finish your degree you will regret ever contemplating architecture.

No money, well thats not true, try telling Norman Foster or Zaha Hadid that. If people keep getting spurred off studying architecture by people like you, we won't have such great architects for future generations. I understand not everyone will be making big money like them but most can make a good living. Unfulfilling, well you clearly don't have the passion others have. Too much work, well some of us have to work harder than others. Trust me, by the time you finish your degree you will regret ever contemplating architecture. Trust you???? No, I'm sure most won't regret it, just because you and some of your class did.
Original post by King-Panther

No money, well thats not true, try telling Norman Foster or Zaha Hadid that. If people keep getting spurred off studying architecture by people like you, we won't have such great architects for future generations. I understand not everyone will be making big money like them but most can make a good living. Unfulfilling, well you clearly don't have the passion others have. Too much work, well some of us have to work harder than others. Trust me, by the time you finish your degree you will regret ever contemplating architecture. Trust you???? No, I'm sure most won't regret it, just because you and some of your class did.

as someone who has worked in construction for 5 years now, I can see where colin was coming from in a lot of what he says if a bit extreme. there isn't ''no money'' in it and not alll will find it ''unfulfilling'' but Architecture now is much lead by the client and pencil pushers; it very much depends on where you end up. I have a few architect freinds and family, some love it, others working for local authorities hate it. I always wanted to be an architect, still do.. but can't manage another 7 years study :lol: the pay isnt bad but I think people expect several hundreds of thousands, which on average isn't the case..
(edited 12 years ago)

yawn, another idealist. some of my class? 90% of my class. don't have the passion? i did, but it's been crushed out of me, everyone else on the course. try telling foster and hadid? LOL! that's comedy gold right there.

i don't blame you, if someone came and rubbished my dreams back in sixth form i would react angrily too. i'm just speaking from experience. i know only a handful of people on my course of 200 at Nottingham who have enjoyed their degree. many are staring down the barrel of a 2:2 after working bloody hard for 3 years, just because of an egotistical, unhelpful tutor. most tutors are, same at other unis.

true, some will enjoy it. sorry to say, but stats say you won't. go do an arts subject, wish i did.
yawn, another idealist. some of my class? 90% of my class. don't have the passion? i did, but it's been crushed out of me, everyone else on the course. try telling foster and hadid? LOL! that's comedy gold right there.

i don't blame you, if someone came and rubbished my dreams back in sixth form i would react angrily too. i'm just speaking from experience. i know only a handful of people on my course of 200 at Nottingham who have enjoyed their degree. many are staring down the barrel of a 2:2 after working bloody hard for 3 years, just because of an egotistical, unhelpful tutor. most tutors are, same at other unis.

true, some will enjoy it. sorry to say, but stats say you won't. go do an arts subject, wish i did.

I'm afraid how you feel won't become mutual, I know many people who have studied architecture from the AA and UCL (as well as other schools) and they don't have the same attitude as you.. Good luck with what ever you decide to do in the future...... I do feel so many people get into architecture for the wrong reasons, its not for everyone (and clearly not for you).
I'm afraid how you feel won't become mutual, I know many people who have studied architecture from the AA and UCL (as well as other schools) and they don't have the same attitude as you.. Good luck with what ever you decide to do in the future...... I do feel so many people get into architecture for the wrong reasons, its not for everyone (and clearly not for you).

thanks, yeah it's not for me. gonna go do an MA architectural history and see where that takes me. no crazy design tutors, just level headed humanities tutors... i hope!
thanks, yeah it's not for me. gonna go do an MA architectural history and see where that takes me. no crazy design tutors, just level headed humanities tutors... i hope!

I'm sure there are other fields open to you as well, maybe construction, surveying or maybe even civil engineering. Having a degree will put you on a fast-track program in a lot of businesses/professions. Like I said, good luck and its a shame architecture wasn't for you but you shouldn't discourage others, maybe you should just get them to question their motives and ask themselves if it is really for them, realistically.
I'm sure there are other fields open to you as well, maybe construction, surveying or maybe even civil engineering. Having a degree will put you on a fast-track program in a lot of businesses/professions. Like I said, good luck and its a shame architecture wasn't for you but you shouldn't discourage others, maybe you should just get them to question their motives and ask themselves if it is really for them, realistically.

Just cutting in here. Thank you for saying this. I've definitely been questioning my motives lately, and have decided maybe Civil Engineering is more for me than Architecture is (yes, I realize it's a little hypocritical, seeing as I created the thread, but I'm so glad I've realized now!)
Just cutting in here. Thank you for saying this. I've definitely been questioning my motives lately, and have decided maybe Civil Engineering is more for me than Architecture is (yes, I realize it's a little hypocritical, seeing as I created the thread, but I'm so glad I've realized now!)

No one knows you better than you. Far too (I cant emphasize that enough) many people get into architecture when they would be better suited to something else or would enjoy far more. Its not for everyone, like civil engineering isn't and so forth. However, architecture is for some, imagine if the likes of Da Vinci, Gaudí, Wright, Hadid, Wren, ect had been put off by people like colin4president, the world (at least architecturally) wouldn't be the same. All people need to do is question their motives and the suitability (realistically) and there will be far less unhappy architects and far more happy people in different professions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending