The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

A couple of questions about Nottingham.

Firstly I have to choose between Liverpool and Nottingham University, although I haven't ruled out Sheffield.

What is the social life at Nottingham, is there a lot to do etc?

Also is there a lot to do on Campus?

What are downsides?

Do you feel isolated living on campus?

A few other questions that are sheer curiosity.

Are there many Brummies who go to Nottingham?

The sex ratio really can't be that favourable can it?

Any good answers will receive personal rep. :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Jack McGill
Firstly I have to choose between Liverpool and Nottingham University, although I haven't ruled out Sheffield.

What are downsides?

Sex ratio is 56 FEMALE : 44 MALE.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What are downsides?

University of Nottingham is renowned for its beautiful, picturesque campus'.
Also, the city centre is buzzing, Nottingham boasts great nightlife with something to do for everyone!

I think reputation wise Nottingham is superior to Liverpool. I'm not saying that Liverpool isn't good, as it is, but I think Nottingham is generally accepted as being the better University. Its been called as the "prime alternative to Oxbridge"
Reply 3
Basically everything you need to know is in this one single video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3myZowOSY

Enjoy
Reply 4
Original post by FoSho'
Sex ratio is 56 FEMALE : 44 MALE.

Huh where did you get this from? On TSR it says its 51:49 female to male :smile:
Reply 5
Huh where did you get this from? On TSR it says its 51:49 female to male :smile:

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/university-uk/University-Of-Nottingham-ranking/3756/page.html

A lot of info on here.
Reply 6
Original post by FoSho'
Basically everything you need to know is in this one single video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3myZowOSY

Enjoy

Ha ha love this video, excellent. :smile:
For all the fans of Nottingham university student statistics fans out there:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/planning/statistics/2010-11/List-pdf.html
Reply 8
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN

Thanks for the information very helpful. :smile:
Reply 9
Anyone have any other thoughts on this, will start giving out reputation as promised.
Not really too bothered about the rep, but more than happy to answer your questions :smile:

There are loads of pubs, clubs and bars in the city centre, and quite a few pubs and bars in Beeston, which is only a short walk away from the campus. Quite a lot of big name bands/comedians play at Rock City and the Capital Arena, and there are loads of smaller music venues for a whole variety of genres of music.
There's also quite a few theatres, cinemas, restaurants etc. in and around the city, and there are things like bowling and laser tag nearby as well.

Essentially, you're not likely to get bored.

The campus is a pretty dynamic place, and there's almost always stuff going on. There are over 200 socities to get involved with, so there's bound to be something of interest.
Mooch and The Den are the two on-campus bars, and they quite often host pub quizzes and music events. They serve pretty decent food as well.

The campus also has it's own student run theatre which puts on weekly productions, and there's a screening room in the library which is used as a mini cinema by the film societies.

There's also a wide range of sporting activities to get involved with, and there's a really good gym on campus for you to use. There are university sports teams, but also more informal ones like course specific teams and even inter-hall teams as well.

What are downsides?
The campus is BIG and a little bit hilly, so walking from one side to the other can take a little while. It's not really a problem though, because you're walking through such beautiful surroundings, and if you're with friends then conversation easily fills the time anyway.
If it's really that big an issue, there's also a free hopper bus that travels around University Park and the other campuses too.

If you're staying in catered halls, the food might not always be to your taste. It's by no means inedible, but if you're a fussy eater you may find it a bit more of an annoyance. There's always a variety of food on offer, so you can choose from a number of different things on offer to ear. Again, it's nothing that should get in the way hugely, and there's so many places to eat across campus at lunchtime it kinda makes up for it a bit. The food on the main campus is always really nice :smile:

Not at all. There are so many people around on campus at any one time, everything functions like its own little community. Chances are you'll usually bump into someone you know when you're just walking around. Even if you start to feel like a change of scene, both Beeston and the city centre are only a short journey away.

Haha! Erm, I know of quite a few I guess... I wouldn't say the place is heaving with them, but equally they're not the rarest of breeds either :P

I don't quite know what the official statistics are for it this year, but I think there probably are more girls than guys on balance...

If you choose Nottingham then you'll be coming to a really lively, vibrant university with a fantastic reputation. It's probably difficult to find a campus with so much beautiful green space and such a variety of thriving wildlife, especially around the lake, which is also so close to the buzz of the main city. The city has so much on offer and there's always exciting things going on there. However, if you didn't want to wander the busy streets, or just needed a bit of time out, the campus itself is so well equipped that you could easily just spend all your time there without going further afield.
I can't recommend Nottingham highly enough! If you come here I'm sure you will have the most amazing time and won't regret your decision at all :biggrin:

EDIT: Lol at the negative rating :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TheOriginalTinyT
Not really too bothered about the rep, but more than happy to answer your questions :smile:

EDIT: Lol at the negative rating :smile:

Aww Tom you're so nice writing them a long essay :smile:
Reply 12
Hey, I'm a first year a University of Nottingham.

The social life is brilliant tbf, Nottingham is renowned for it. Every hall on campus has a bar, the night life is great, it's good for shopping, and with all the societies running different events there's always something.

On campus there's pretty much everything you need, but I wouldn't really say there's much to do on campus at the weekends. But then you can go into town, and depending on the societies you join at the weekends you can end up going horse riding, caving, iceskating, I think there's a sky-diving society too...

I'm so glad I live on campus because it's where everything happens, but it's not as close into town as I'd like. It's only a 10 minute bus journey and if it was in town there wouldn't be the lovely campus there is here, but it can be a bit annoying sometimes.

About the Brummie question... I'm from the West Midlands and literally have met only a handful of Midlanders at all. Most are from London.

And yeah I do have to say there is significantly more girls than boys.

Hope that helps.
Reply 13
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN

I love you, I have been looking for something like this! Big cheers.

And in regards to the questions raised in the original post, I can't offer any great pearl of wisdom that hasn't already been mentioned, but it's been made known to me that Liverpool's nightlife is widely-known as amongst the best in the country. Can't say I've experienced it first hand (London's closer!) but from what I've heard, it's unanimous. Along these lines, a whole bunch of mates are at Sheffield and they're all in agreement that the nightlife there is ace. I've not heard much about Nottingham nightlife other than it's got a great diversity about it, as well as a fantastic alternative scene. Saying all this, I am from Ipswich- possibly the anti-Christ of nightlife- so anywhere seems amazing!
(edited 12 years ago)
Nottingham has Hooters, all you can eat chicken wings on Mondays for £7. This is all you need to know!!
Original post by cunningstunt87
Nottingham has Hooters, all you can eat chicken wings on Mondays for £7. This is all you need to know!!

Hooters wings are crappy!
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Hooters wings are crappy!

They aint great mate, but for £7 they aint bad. Besides, without sounding too sexist, it aint the wings you go for :cool:
Reply 17
What is the social life at Nottingham, is there a lot to do etc? Also is there a lot to do on Campus?
I'm not a party person myself, but there always seems to be something going on. During fresher's week there's something for everybody; pub quizes, acoustic nights, hypnotist show (which I will never forget for all the wrong reasons!), club nights, silent discos....all sorts! I just went out by myself and did all the alternative events and the people I met on the first night are my best friends to this day :smile: You'll meet people from all over the world.

What are downsides?
Walking up hills to lectures in the morning is a pain in the arse, and it's even more of a pain when it's raining/cold/snowing! The campus itself is beautiful though. I'm being deadly serious, I chose nottingham because it had lots of nice trees and flowers! Got a nice lake and waterfall too...very serene!

I live on BGP just outside the gates. Some days I feel isolated if I stay in my room all day. If it's nice and sunny I'll go to Wollaton park or something. It's only 10mins walk.

As for the brummies, I live next door to one and I'm living with one next year! I myself am from Yorkshire, and I think I can count the amount of fellow northerners I've met on one hand. I felt a bit of an 'outsider' when I first came, and it was such a relief to meet people from the same sort of area with me who can relate...and understand my accent! But you'll meet people from all over the country :smile: I've met people from korea, to china, to germany, to liverpool!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending